Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2021, 07:47 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds to me like a software programming error - the combination of horizon correction on and SR off is triggering incorrect operation of the sensor locating function. These two functions would need to integrate together to control the sensor locator. Something is going down the wrong logic path. I would think that Ricoh could sort this out pretty quickly via firmware once aware of the issue. In the interim, the fix seems to be straightforward - keep the horizon correction off.

06-13-2021, 11:21 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
There's no shutter induced softness when used on a tripod. Not on my camera at least.
The center is also soft on these 2s self-timer shots (with leveling on) but it get progressively worse towards the edges.
Pål Jensen can you clarify that it is when the self-timer is used at these shutter speeds ~1/40th to 1/125th the images are blurred. Or is it a combination of the self-timer and having Horizon Correction on?

On a tripod at these slower shutter speeds you can achieve sharp images by simply pressing the shutter button instead of using the self timer. Am I understanding that correctly?
06-13-2021, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Pål Jensen can you clarify that it is when the self-timer is used at these shutter speeds ~1/40th to 1/125th the images are blurred. Or is it a combination of the self-timer and having Horizon Correction on?

On a tripod at these slower shutter speeds you can achieve sharp images by simply pressing the shutter button instead of using the self timer. Am I understanding that correctly?
I haven't tested it any further due to rain and bad weather. But others have. It is combination of 2s self-timer and horizon correction that causes the problem. Turn off horizon correction and there's no problem apparently (haven't tested it myself yet - but that seems to be the consensus).
06-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #49
Unregistered User

I haven't tested it any further due to rain and bad weather. But others have. It is combination of 2s self-timer and horizon correction that causes the problem. Turn off horizon correction and there's no problem apparently (haven't tested it myself yet - but that seems to be the consensus).
Yes, 2s timer (or 12s timer) and HC = Fuzziness. Turn off either and you get sharp images. Or use a longer shutter speed. I tested 2 seconds shutter speed and had no issue.

06-13-2021, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Or use a longer shutter speed. I tested 2 seconds shutter speed and had no issue.
To clarify...the motion blur is apparently of short duration early in the exposure and using a longer exposure minimizes the impact.

Steve
06-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am unclear. I understand what this asserts about the use of Horizon Correction on self timer on a tripod. I’m unclear if this is at all related to the DPReview results for the K3iii and I’m also unclear is the thread on DPR closed? It looks like no posts have been made for a while. I don’t have an account there.

Also it appears this may affect the k70 although at a reduced impact but not the k3ii or KP?
06-13-2021, 07:48 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I am unclear. I understand what this asserts about the use of Horizon Correction on self timer on a tripod. I’m unclear if this is at all related to the DPReview results for the K3iii and I’m also unclear is the thread on DPR closed? It looks like no posts have been made for a while. I don’t have an account there.

Also it appears this may affect the k70 although at a reduced impact but not the k3ii or KP?
To the best of my knowledge this thread has nothing to do with DPR.

Steve

06-14-2021, 02:10 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
To the best of my knowledge this thread has nothing to do with DPR.

Steve
But it is the best explanation of what dpreview experienced. There's no problem getting sharp images from the K-3 III......
06-14-2021, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #54
Unregistered User

I got help finding the K-1 thread

OOF images.. Scratching my head. - PentaxForums.com
06-14-2021, 04:53 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
But it is the best explanation of what dpreview experienced. There's no problem getting sharp images from the K-3 III......
DPreview would be unlikely to have turned on Horizon Correction.

06-14-2021, 05:59 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Unless they confirm that they didn’t, it does remain a possibility right? Is it something that the Exif can confirm/deny?
06-14-2021, 06:49 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Unless they confirm that they didn’t, it does remain a possibility right? Is it something that the Exif can confirm/deny?
I tried to look at the exif of the pf samples and the dpreview samples. Couldnt find the setting in exif but didnt look that hard. Problem is that samples posted here aren't sooc with fully intact exif .
06-14-2021, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I thought that one was solved. My understanding was that the problem was whether default sharpening was applied on import. Run the same DNG through DCU and it is sharp. Run it through dcraw, developed as TIFF, and it is not sharp.

If I still have the DNG, I can check for that too...(busy, busy, busy)...found it!
...ExifTools says Horizon Correction and Composition Adjustment were both turned off as were SR and AF.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-14-2021 at 08:48 AM.
06-14-2021, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The EXIF doesn't specifically mention Horizon Correction but does state
RollAngle 0
Pitch angle 0
Mind you it also has
SensorTemperature 2776.6 C

---------- Post added 06-14-21 at 05:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I thought that one was solved. My understanding was that the problem was whether default sharpening was applied on import. Run the same DNG through DCU and it is sharp. Run it through dcraw, developed as TIFF, and it is not sharp.

If I still have the DNG, I can check for that too...(busy, busy, busy)...found it!
...ExifTools says Horizon Correction and Composition Adjustment were both turned off as were SR and AF.

Steve
Where does it mention Horizon Correction? I looked and couldn't find it.
06-14-2021, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Where does it mention Horizon Correction? I looked and couldn't find it.
The section from the DNG's makernotes is as below:

Code:
Level Orientation               : n/a
Composition Adjust : Off
Roll Angle : 0
Pitch Angle : 0
Composition Adjust X : 0
Composition Adjust Y : 0
Composition Adjust Rotation : 0.5
Those tags are in a group that the crew at ExifTool has labeled LevelInfo. The second one down, Composition Adjust, takes one of four values:
0 = Off
2 = Composition Adjust
10 = Composition Adjust + Horizon Correction
12 = Horizon Correction
See: Pentax Tags | LevelInfo

Steve