Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
If I connect the camera USB-C to a powerbank and have the camera on, will the camera use power from the powerbank or the battery?
The user manual indicates that the camera must be turned off when power connections are made to the USB-C fitting. Whether that connection will power the camera when you turn it on depends on the power source connected. At present, the manual limits that option to the K-AC166 adapter.

Steve

06-15-2021, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I've made a quick test with my GRiii (sorry, no K-3iii handy!) and a power bank (no K-AC166 either!).

External power can be used without a battery. Indeed, the camera would start and I was able to take a picture. The battery icon gets replaced by a power plug icon.
With the battery in, it seems the battery wouldn't charge (at least the led stayed off) while the camera was turned on. With the camera turned off, the battery would be charging.

I used a Power Delivery-compatible power bank, capable of the same voltages and amperages as the K-AC166 (5/9/12V, 3A) and a high quality USB-C to USB-C cable (capable of 100W, only need 36 though).
With the same power bank but an USB-A to USB-C cable, it didn't work - camera refused to start without a battery, and with a battery the icon no longer transformed into a power plug icon.

I guess the K-3iii would work in a similar manner.
07-01-2021, 11:18 AM - 2 Likes   #18

Hi,
I learned that if you want to power k3-3 from an external source, it shall be a USB-C 12v 3A output only. Any other combination, including 15V 3A, 12V 2A, 9V 3A, etc., does not work. I tested quite a few charges and power banks. Finally, I managed both: to charge(what works with any available adapter that supports 5V1A) and run without an internal battery (it was completely removed). I used Energizer XP20002PD. Energizer Power Packs - Products
I think I found a great solution for the travels.
08-11-2022, 09:49 AM   #19

A regular USB charger is 5V. The battery is 8.4V. A DC converter is used to trickle charge which can't supply enough current to run the camera whilst it's in use.

Think of it like a small tap filling a large bucket, and you can then tip the bucket out to create a large flow which the tap could not provide by itself.

08-14-2022, 02:08 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I've made a quick test with my GRiii (sorry, no K-3iii handy!) and a power bank (no K-AC166 either!).

External power can be used without a battery. Indeed, the camera would start and I was able to take a picture. The battery icon gets replaced by a power plug icon.
With the battery in, it seems the battery wouldn't charge (at least the led stayed off) while the camera was turned on. With the camera turned off, the battery would be charging.

I used a Power Delivery-compatible power bank, capable of the same voltages and amperages as the K-AC166 (5/9/12V, 3A) and a high quality USB-C to USB-C cable (capable of 100W, only need 36 though).
With the same power bank but an USB-A to USB-C cable, it didn't work - camera refused to start without a battery, and with a battery the icon no longer transformed into a power plug icon.

[B]I guess the K-3iii would work in a similar manner[/B].
I concur with @Kunzite the fact that the K-3iii charges when OFF, or operates from external PD source when ON.

I get this with a USB-C to USB-C PD cable from either a PD battery pack or PD charger. It can't work with a standard USB-A cable; it has to be a PD certified USB-C cable and supply.

I really appreciate the USB charging, I can charge my phone, company iPad or K-3iii all with the same PD charger. Plus for long shoots (eg astro etc) the external battery virtually gives you unlimited time .

Last edited by phoebus; 08-14-2022 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added quote