Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2021, 08:32 AM   #1

K-3 III Silver Edition

Hey all. Been Pentaxian since 1984. Waited for K-3 Mark III. From my K-3 Gunmetal Grey. I'm now returning my second one. The over heating with a thermometer reads up to 104'D to 97' on glass,rubber and metal. Pentax told my vendor. No known problems! Completely shutdowns down. And displays a thermometer on screen filled Red. 7' minutes is all you get on Video. Way too hot to touch with my nose for VF. Within 15-25 minutes?
I've tried it not taking pics/vids, just doing some user settings. Fresh from factory. Nothing matters.
I've spent days trying to find out anything on the thermometer. Weeks on the over heating. Not much out there on the internet?
I am so bummed. I don't get a camera. Maybe used in a few months?
Waited a year following and 9 years from my K-3.
Anyone that has any help? Vendor/Pentax just don't believe me ,I guess. There still testing the first one.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
06-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was out with my silver K-3 iii in pretty intense heat in Badlands National Park last week and never ran into the sorts of issues you're reporting. This was with the battery that came with the camera? Did you try multiple SD cards, just in case there was something funky with the first one you tried that caused some sort of system malfunction?
06-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by standalowen Quote
The over heating with a thermometer reads up to 104'D to 97' on glass,rubber and metal.
Is that on the Delisle scale?
And I thought Fahrenheit is one too many...
06-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was out for about 45 minutes today in desert near Phoenix. My phone said it was 109 Fahrenheit. A check of the Exif on one of the last photos I took with the K-3iii and the DA* 300 showed 42 C. I have never had a problem with a Pentax camera in our summer heat which is when I do a lot of hiking. The camera often feels hot but they have always kept working without noticeable problems.

06-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No heat issues with mine. It's gotten VERY hot while out in the sun, but never to the point of shutting down.
06-15-2021, 12:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Haven't experienced this either. I would expect the Silver edition to be less sensitive to heat due to the silver reflecting the sun rather than absorbing it, so I'm guessing this would be a problem specific to your camera?
06-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have noticed the screen being a little warm when my nose touches it, but not objectionable.

06-15-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, my use is almost exclusively photos, very little video. Video will make almost any camera heat up at least a little.
06-21-2021, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Hey all. Not really new. Been member since my first K-3. I want to follow up! Whoever mentioned SD cards was probably it. I was always using Extreme Pro,170mbs with a different one in other slot. My vendor got tech in. Said "No Known Issues." I did get 2 UHS-1 cards. Didn't say anything else? I had asked for tech report. I did want to know about Thermometer. Red to top? And just got a triangle with ! in middle on the screen? Couldn't find info on those two Icons? Also,the shutting down I talked about was 4GB limit. THIS IS A GREAT CAMERA!!! FROM K-3 TO THIS.WOW! HEATING IS NOT AN ISSUE! IT WAS ALWAYS,ME. THANKS,ALL.CRAIG.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you got it sorted! It's a great camera, and you're already putting it to good use