Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I own the camera and have been using it. It works very well. The structural compromises that would have been required for integrated GPS would have been a poor trade-off.
I own a camera with "structural compromises" and I prefer those.

06-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I don't find it complicated or cumbersome. I set it all up once. Now I turn on the camera, open image sync and geolocation starts working right away. I've turned the camera off for minutes at a time and back on, it reconnects. I think people's experiences are more to do with their phones than anything else.
I said worse, not "complicated" nor "cumbersome".
But you're making a good point - an integrated solution will work until the camera breaks down. The GPS through Bluetooth... what if you change your phone or update its OS and it suddenly doesn't work? What if ImageSync no longer gets maintained?
It's not something I would lose any sleep over, but still, makes it comparatively worse.
06-16-2021, 01:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I own a camera with "structural compromises" and I prefer those.
The fragile hot shoe mount on the K-1 is one thing…the risk of damage to the pentaprism in the K-3 iii is a completely different beast. Those structural compromises would be completely unacceptable.
06-16-2021, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

The fragile hot shoe mount on the K-1 is one thing…the risk of damage to the pentaprism in the K-3 iii is a completely different beast. Those structural compromises would be completely unacceptable.
I think the engineers at Ricoh can figure out how to fit GPS into a camera without any structural compromises. I suggest under the top lcd display.

06-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I think the engineers at Ricoh can figure out how to fit GPS into a camera without any structural compromises. I suggest under the top lcd display.
Right, they can figure out if/how it could be done...
But most likely, it's too late even for the hypothetical upcoming FF.
06-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wouldn’t the LCD interfere with the GPS antenna? Perhaps a smaller LCD, as with the K-1, might allow a surrounding area to be used for the GPS. Frankly, I don’t find the K-3iii top LCD any more useful than that of the K-1.
06-16-2021, 02:22 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Wouldn’t the LCD interfere with the GPS antenna? Perhaps a smaller LCD, as with the K-1, might allow a surrounding area to be used for the GPS. Frankly, I don’t find the K-3iii top LCD any more useful than that of the K-1.
I really don’t use the top LCD. There’s so much in the viewfinder, and if my eye isn’t up to that, I’m using the back screen. If they wanted to try no top LCD for the K-1 iii (to make way for GPS) as a prelude to no top LCD on the K-3 iv, I would be supportive of that. I don’t think the top LCD and GPS antenna can co-exist too closely.

06-16-2021, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

I don’t think the top LCD and GPS antenna can co-exist too closely.
That's not an issue for e.g. Garmin (look at their GPS-equipped watches).
06-16-2021, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's IMO a worse solution than integrated GPS, as you'd need to make sure to setup both devices, that the Image Sync is running and the background location is set, make sure the smartphone is connected to the camera, etc.
IMO Everything you just described is the very definition of complicated/cumbersome seeing as you're comparing it to a 1 button on/off solution that just wasn't possible for this camera.
I said worse, not "complicated" nor "cumbersome".
But you're making a good point - an integrated solution will work until the camera breaks down. The GPS through Bluetooth... what if you change your phone or update its OS and it suddenly doesn't work? What if ImageSync no longer gets maintained?
It's not something I would lose any sleep over, but still, makes it comparatively worse.
Yes, you did say worse, but IMO the manner of what you described, it translates to complicated, cumbersome "Setup both devices, make sure image sync is running and background location info is set, make sure the smartphone......" Sure, it's not as easy as just pressing one button and everything works, but I wouldn't say it's worse given the fact that the camera is now completely wrapped in Magnesium instead of the weak plastic top.
So it's a different integration of geolocation, at least the option is there.
What if you drop your camera and break the plastic top where the built in GPS module would be? Now you're out of a camera entirely while it's being repaired.
What if ImageSync no longer gets maintained? Okay, that wouldn't change anything from the day, week, month, year before when it was working. It won't just all of a sudden not work. Just like a camera doesn't just all of a sudden stop working because they aren't making it anymore.
As with anything technology, updates happen for better or worse. That's why there's specific wireless protocols, both wifi and bluetooth. I can't speak for others but when I shop for things like this I look at the protocols and do my best to find a device that works on that protocol (Bluetooth V2, 3, 4, 4.2 whatever it is). I research it before I purchase it to make sure it'll work. So far, that's always worked for me.
06-16-2021, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

The latest GPS modules are only 4mm. I'm sure they can find a spot on top without structural compromises.
06-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #41

I really wanted one but got tired of waiting for it so I went with a K-1 II instead.
06-16-2021, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

The latest GPS modules are only 4mm. I'm sure they can find a spot on top without structural compromises.
To enable astrotracer, they need a pretty robust GPS module that also can get elevation, compass heading, etc. I’m not sure that’s something a 4mm GPS module can give. Given all of the incredible engineering that went into this camera, I am confident that if they could have added a GPS module without compromising something else, they would have. Just like those of us who actually have the camera keep telling people to stop whingeing about the lack of a flippy screen because the additional eye relief is very valuable, they have given us great options for having GPS while having a totally robust camera. The trade-offs weren’t worth it, and unless you’re a Ricoh engineer who is telling us it was possible but they left it out just because, your arguments don’t carry a lot of water.
06-16-2021, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Is that including the antennae? Is that depth or width/length?

GPS positional signal is transmitted at around 1.5GHz; wavelength about 20cm. There is a practical limit on how small the antennae can be. I'm sure they could have laminated it on the exterior of the metal shell, if they really wanted to.

I suspect that other factors, such as power consumption, made the decision for them. The quad core main processor, accelerator (ie. another processor of unknown architecture) additional RAM and touch screen are adding to consumption - yet they managed to declare 800 shots vs 720 for the K-3ii/K-3.

I personally hope any forthcoming K-1iii maintains integral GPS and 'moon-lander' screen, but I think they made the right concessions to optimise the K-3iii for action, not landscape/astro.
06-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's not an issue for e.g. Garmin (look at their GPS-equipped watches).
In which case, I daresay there was insufficient room under the K-3iii’s top LCD to fit a GPS. Either that or it would have impacted their price point by too much.

Either way, I don’t care that much, as I haven’t even used my K-1 with Astrotracer, and the K-3iii’s smartphone connectivity seems up to the job for location data in EXIF.
06-16-2021, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Is that including the antennae? Is that depth or width/length?
Edit: Sorry 10mm with antenna. 4mm without. Used in smartwatches, dog trackers, and cameras.

Given all of the incredible engineering that went into this camera, I am confident that if they could have added a GPS module without compromising something else, they would have.
Maybe they didn't have time for a new GPS system? The camera was behind schedule.
Edited to add: Taking them a year just to get the new O-GPS2 out.

Website: OriginGPS GNSS modules & cellular IoT systems are the world's smallest

Last edited by Tesla; 06-16-2021 at 06:25 PM.