Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2021, 02:02 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by duowang Quote
I am really interested in this camera, buy don't you think the price is a bit high?
It's high IMO. But not too high either IMO.
It's too high *for me right now* and a second hand K1 right now is a tremendous value so I went for that. But considering everything it brings, I do not believe it is too high.

06-16-2021, 02:50 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ben-pentax Quote
Suggest we all answer it.
Done.
06-16-2021, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
It may seem that way until you start using it. At that point, the price makes sense.
After using mine for a week, I heartily endorse this sentiment. I have no regrets about spending the money (although a 10% discount at purchase time did help a bit).

I’ve submitted my responses to the survey.
06-16-2021, 03:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
It may seem that way until you start using it. At that point, the price makes sense.
I think that Ricoh might've managed a slightly lower price, or somewhat better features (looking at you, SD card controller!) if they had significantly higher sales volumes. Perhaps the Nikon 2015 kind of higher sales volumes.

As things are, it's either the K-3iii or a (much) lower price point.

06-16-2021, 05:08 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Pentax has no control over whether or not Sigma and Tamron make K mount lenses.

As a K-3 iii owner, I am glad they opted for the additional eye relief instead of the flippy screen. I am quite content using the Image Sync app for shots in odd positions.
I tend to agree. It's difficult to see a screen in bright daylight, tiltable or not. I've tried a hood, but they're a pain too.
06-16-2021, 05:20 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gopersuel Quote
Yes, there are few general questions, my contribution has been more of a complaint, because I will not be able to have new lenses from third brands, that is why I will not buy K3-III, (if you want a long telephoto lens, or buy the pentax 150- 450 or discontinued third-party lenses) and the lack of a flip-up screen, like the one on the K-1.
good point, i forgot to mention the lack of a 'flip-out' screen (Kp, or K-1), or a fold-out screen (K-70)
06-16-2021, 06:40 AM   #22
Pentaxian

And I forgot to mention the lack of a GPS.

06-16-2021, 06:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And I forgot to mention the lack of a GPS.
Bluetooth for geotagging and O-GPS1 for astrotracer work brilliantly. I am glad they didn't compromise the structural integrity of the camera to shoehorn GPS into it.
06-16-2021, 07:03 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bluetooth for geotagging and O-GPS1 for astrotracer work brilliantly. I am glad they didn't compromise the structural integrity of the camera to shoehorn GPS into it.
With O-GPS1 fitted, what do you do if you want to use flash?
I have seen "conversion" units, that fit into the hot-shoe, and the O-GPS1 (or other accessory) on top, while the "conversion" unit operates a remote flash unit. But, i have never used one.
06-16-2021, 08:55 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
I have seen "conversion" units, that fit into the hot-shoe, and the O-GPS1 (or other accessory) on top, while the "conversion" unit operates a remote flash unit. But, i have never used one.
Take a shot with the GPS fitted. Then take all the others you need in the same location with the flash fitted?
06-16-2021, 09:42 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
I cannot comprehend a situation where a camera-triggered flash and O-GPS1 would be used for the same shot. If you just want geotagging, use your phone and you don't need O-GPS1. If you're doing astrotracing, camera-triggered flash is not helpful. If you need it for fill during a long exposure, just hold the thing in your hand and press the test button.
06-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #27
Pentaxian

It's IMO a worse solution than integrated GPS, as you'd need to make sure to setup both devices, that the Image Sync is running and the background location is set, make sure the smartphone is connected to the camera, etc.
06-16-2021, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

It's IMO a worse solution than integrated GPS, as you'd need to make sure to setup both devices, that the Image Sync is running and the background location is set, make sure the smartphone is connected to the camera, etc.
I own the camera and have been using it. It works very well. The structural compromises that would have been required for integrated GPS would have been a poor trade-off.
06-16-2021, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't find it complicated or cumbersome. I set it all up once. Now I turn on the camera, open image sync and geolocation starts working right away. I've turned the camera off for minutes at a time and back on, it reconnects. I think people's experiences are more to do with their phones than anything else.
06-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Done.