Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 143 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2021, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Not entirely happy with Pentax K-3 III

I am currently testing a Pentax K-3 III. I took an ISO series to see the level up to which the images can be used. For me all settings above ISO 51.200 are useless. Why do they offer the higher values up to 1.6 million?

When photographing negatives (film), I see a lot of bright dots in the viewfinder screen, as if there are many tiny bubbles in the material. I've never seen anything like it on a DSLR.The issue must be in the viewfinder because the dots don't move when I move the film that is being photographed.

Photos with ISO 100 and 200 from a reprostand (camera is pointed downwards) are not quite sharp. This doesn't happen with my K-3 II and K70. I don't seem to be the only one experiencing this at those ISO-levels. Dpreview reports:

„Worth mentioning at this stage, however, is the slight (relative) softness of the K-3 Mark III at the shutter speeds used for ISO 100 and 200 in our daylight mode in particular. Despite repeated attempts using LiveView, the optical viewfinder, mirror lock-up, shake reduction (which isn't recommended for tripod shooting) and of course a self-timer, we were unable to produce a sharp image using the mechanical shutter at these particular settings due to shutter shock.“

See: Pentax K-3 Mark III added to studio test scene: Digital Photography Review

The Pentax K-3 III warms up faster than my other DSLRs.

Have you had similar experiences?

Last edited by sindbad1; 06-18-2021 at 03:21 AM.
06-16-2021, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No. Only fuzzy images while using 2s self timer and horizon correction at some medium shutter speeds. It's a bug.
Why should shutter shock be restricted to 100 and 200 ISO? Makes no sense....
06-16-2021, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
No. Only fuzzy images while using 2s self timer and horizon correction at some medium shutter speeds. It's a bug.
Why should shutter shock be restricted to 100 and 200 ISO? Makes no sense....
He must have exactly the same lighting conditions as DPreview

06-16-2021, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I also don't think that that's a problem with the shutter. Perhaps due to a mistake, there is minimal sensor movement that makes no sense.

The images were taken after mirror-up with an infrared remote control. The camera was on a sturdy copy stand. This doesn't happen with my Pentax K70 and Pentax K-3 II.

Attached Images

Last edited by sindbad1; 06-16-2021 at 02:54 PM.
06-16-2021, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #5

Hopefully a firmware fix can help, and not a mechanical defect in the shutter mechanism.
06-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have horizon correction engaged?
06-16-2021, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I hope Pentax gets this resolved before i plunk down some cold hard plastic..!

06-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, what firmware are you using on the K3 III?
06-16-2021, 11:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
The camera was on a sturdy copy stand.
Is the camera pointing downwards?
06-17-2021, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hongman Quote
I hope Pentax gets this resolved before i plunk down some cold hard plastic..!
It may not be a Pentax problem but operator error, just plunk down your plastic and start enjoying the best Pentax and possibly the best APS-C DSLR ever produced. Or, you can sit there and do "I Hopes" all day every day.
06-17-2021, 05:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I also don't think that that's a problem with the shutter. Perhaps due to a mistake, there is minimal sensor movement that makes no sense.

The images were taken after mirror-up with an infrared remote control. The camera was on a sturdy copy stand. This doesn't happen with my Pentax K70 and Pentax K-3 II.
The blur on the left is very obviously vertical not radial as the horizon correction samples.
06-17-2021, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #12

Pentax has always offered really high, unusable ISO levels. It's what it is, you can't beat physics. You won't find cameras with the same sensor size and better ISO performance at the equivalent ISO, whether 1600, 6400 or whatever.

Is it smart for them to offer such high levels of gain? Maybe not but it doesn't make the camera worse.

In terms of the viewfinder, it either sounds like a flaw in your copy or maybe you're seeing the AF points grid somehow?
06-17-2021, 05:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos with ISO 100 and 200 from a tripod are not quite sharp.
Have you had similar experiences?
I have conducted several well-controlled tests at various shutter speeds, but have not seen any blurred images, except in conditions where the Horizon Correction is ON and using the timer. Similarly, I have not observed any blurring in my real-world shots, but I haven't used the camera extensively yet.

Your image definitely shows movement; it would be great to determine the cause of the problem. It would be useful to know more details of your test, for example:

- Which lens did you use?
- What were the exposure settings?
- Was the Horizon Correction ON or OFF?
- Distance from camera to target?
- Did you get blurred images consistently at the same camera settings? i.e., was the problem repeatable?

Thanks.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-17-2021 at 07:49 AM.
06-17-2021, 05:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
Pentax has always offered really high, unusable ISO levels. It's what it is, you can't beat physics. You won't find cameras with the same sensor size and better ISO performance at the equivalent ISO, whether 1600, 6400 or whatever.

Is it smart for them to offer such high levels of gain? Maybe not but it doesn't make the camera worse.

In terms of the viewfinder, it either sounds like a flaw in your copy or maybe you're seeing the AF points grid somehow?
The noise at maximum ISO on the K-3 iii seems to be a lot worse than at maximum ISO on a K-50. If there was any logic behind the choice of the highest selectable ISO you would expect equally bad results from both cameras. This is purely based on the scene comparison tool at DPreview.

06-17-2021, 05:37 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
The noise at maximum ISO on the K-3 iii seems to be a lot worse than at maximum ISO on a K-50. If there was any logic behind the choice of the highest selectable ISO you would expect equally bad results from both cameras. This is purely based on the scene comparison tool at DPreview.
Are you comparing 51200 to 51200 in Raw? The K50 doesn't go any higher than that. At that level the K3-III has significantly better detail retained. See attached.

I'm really not sure why you would compare the K3-IIIs much higher max ISO to the K-50s. I agree that it's silly for Pentax to offer this mode, but as I said like-for-like you won't find lower noise at a given ISO on another crop sensor camera.
Attached Images