Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 12:02 AM - 4 Likes   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
Photos with ISO 100 and 200 from a tripod are not quite sharp.
Not that I have a fix for you but looking at the photo of your set up and I think you definitely know what your are doing in your field.
I would contact Pentax directly and show them what happen. See what they can offer you. Go to their Facebook, maybe?
Get a sharp image on a tripod with an expensive pro level DSLR shouldn't be this hard for an experienced photographer like you.

06-18-2021, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

If I notice this effect at ISO 100 and 200 and a large test website describes it at the same time, your reply is unnecessarily unkind.
I am interested in the specific experiences of other Pentax K-3 III users who use them in a similar way.

But this doesn't make sense. I can understand that certain shutter speeds potentially might cause problems, but vibrations should be independent on ISO value.
For what it is worth; I've tried the K-3 III on a reasonable sturdy tripod and even without engaging mirror lock or remote release, the camera yields sharp images (except for when horizon correction is in use).....
06-18-2021, 02:37 AM - 9 Likes   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
You are still failing to meet minimum skill requirements.

If you want to discuss your problems with people on enthusiast level you need to up your game significantly..
Please excuse your Highness, I, an unworthy subject, dared to post something here that did not meet your high expectations.
06-18-2021, 02:37 AM - 17 Likes   #34
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
You are still failing to meet minimum skill requirements.

If you want to discuss your problems with people on enthusiast level you need to up your game significantly.

The first step is to run series of tests to find the source factor beyond lack of skill.

Tons of experienced users have no issues. Pretty convincing.

You sindbad1 need to improve your approach to at least soccer mom level and narrow down the possible causes instead of just showing one photo you failed and then pointing fingers at the evil world.

As vibration had already long been discussed you need to show multiple comparable shots based on different tripods, handheld and such.
Unless you provide this there is no evidence for your claims other than evidence for your own setup being the Problem.

Let us wait until you come up with a well documented series of results where we can see which variables have been changed and what the outcome is.
Anything that can have impact on vibration, resonance and dampening is in focus.
This is much too harsh.

If a person experienced in a specific process encounters a problem he has has not had previously with other equipment, it is not unfair for him to view this as an equipment issue. sindbad1 is reporting a problem and asking for help in identifying it. He is is not claiming to have a full diagnosis of the situation and should not necessarily be expected to repeat his work with a multitude of other equipment and procedures.

06-18-2021, 02:53 AM - 4 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

These threads about the K-3III blur are full of people claiming
QuoteQuote:
"it doesn't happen to me or this other person on the internet so it doesn't exist".
That doesn't mean anything and we should expect people to know this. These kinds of issues happen in some use cases and with some combinations of gear or settings. The horizon correction issue has been narrowed down and identified though the work and discussions of users. The more general issue with blur is still unresolved but has been identified by several people.

The problem could of course be similar to the horizon correction issue or it could be traditional shutter shock. Regardless it appears to affect some users. An issue like this can be a huge problem if it affects you main use case. Pretending it's irrelevant or can be easily worked around just shows ignorance about people using their cameras in different ways. It can make the camera useless for some.

Sinbad1 it would, as many others have pointed out, be helpful to know your shutter speeds since normal shutter shock is generally shutter speed dependent. The iso setting is unlikely to affect the sharpness unless there's some very strange bug in the K-3III firmware.
06-18-2021, 03:06 AM - 5 Likes   #36
Closed Account

Moderator request

Hi folks. Some of the comments are getting close to rule breaches. Please stop the sniping and keep the discussion civil. Thanks.
06-18-2021, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
These threads about the K-3III blur are full of people claiming

That doesn't mean anything and we should expect people to know this. These kinds of issues happen in some use cases and with some combinations of gear or settings.... An issue like this can be a huge problem if it affects you main use case. Pretending it's irrelevant or can be easily worked around just shows ignorance about people using their cameras in different ways. It can make the camera useless for some.
I personally don't see any circumstance where it would be a "huge problem" or make the camera "useless". Mountains from molehills seems apt.

Everyone needs to keep the discussion both rational and respectful.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-18-2021 at 03:17 AM.
06-18-2021, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Sinbad1 it would, as many others have pointed out, be helpful to know your shutter speeds since normal shutter shock is generally shutter speed dependent.
For ISO 200: 1/60 s, 1/80s and 1/100s

For mirror-up before shooting and releasing the shutter in a second step I used an infrared remote control. I didn't touch the camera or the tabel or anything on it during that.

--------------

I sent the camera back to ricoh and reported that issue. Let's see if anyone there knows an explanation.
06-18-2021, 03:45 AM - 3 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I personally don't see any circumstance where it would be a "huge problem" or make the camera "useless". Mountains from molehills seems apt.

Everyone needs to keep the discussion both rational and respectful.
Are you suggesting the blur is acceptable or that work arounds are practical in all circumstances?
06-18-2021, 03:49 AM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I personally don't see any circumstance where it would be a "huge problem" or make the camera "useless".
I agree. By taking pictures with ISO 400, the subject is probably settled for most. At that ISO level, quality losses are so small that they hardly matter.
06-18-2021, 03:52 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still don't understand what ISO got to do with it. It should be fuzzy at all ISO values at the same shutter speed if vibrations is the culprit.....

BTW Is there any consensus about what happened at dpreview?
06-18-2021, 04:18 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I still don't understand what ISO got to do with it. It should be fuzzy at all ISO values at the same shutter speed if vibrations is the culprit.....

BTW Is there any consensus about what happened at dpreview?
ISO has nothing to do with it directly. It just happens to produce the problematic shutter speeds.

06-18-2021, 05:18 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
ISO has nothing to do with it directly. It just happens to produce the problematic shutter speeds.
Perhaps. But it is badly phrased: "If I notice this effect at ISO 100 and 200 and a large test website describes it at the same time." And from the first post; "Photos with ISO 100 and 200 from a reprostand (camera is pointed downwards) are not quite sharp. This doesn't happen with my K-3 II and K70. I don't seem to be the only one experiencing this at those ISO-levels".
This certainly fooled me into thinking it was an ISO issue. Should (I assume) have been "at certain shutter speeds the problem manifests itself."
Some more systematic testing seem to be warranted so that can isolate the problem.
06-18-2021, 05:50 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sent the camera back to ricoh and reported that issue. Let's see if anyone there knows an explanation.
It would be great if you would let us know whether Ricoh Imaging has been able to reproduce the problem and identify the fault. Keep in mind that they probably will not be able to match your equipment setup or test conditions.

- Craig
06-18-2021, 05:54 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
This certainly fooled me into thinking it was an ISO issue. Should (I assume) have been "at certain shutter speeds the problem manifests itself."
Interestingly, DPReview revised the wording in their brief article that introduced the new studio test scene on 31 May 2021:

Original (from Wayback Machine at Archive.org):

"Worth mentioning at this stage, however, is the slight (relative) softness of the K-3 Mark III at its ISO 100 and 200 settings in our daylight mode in particular."

Revised after several days of reader comments (my emphasis):

"Worth mentioning at this stage, however, is the slight (relative) softness of the K-3 Mark III at the shutter speeds used for ISO 100 and 200 in our daylight mode in particular."

- Craig