Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 143 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 08:09 AM - 23 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
You are still failing to meet minimum skill requirements.

If you want to discuss your problems with people on enthusiast level you need to up your game significantly.

The first step is to run series of tests to find the source factor beyond lack of skill.

Tons of experienced users have no issues. Pretty convincing.

You sindbad1 need to improve your approach to at least soccer mom level and narrow down the possible causes instead of just showing one photo you failed and then pointing fingers at the evil world.

As vibration had already long been discussed you need to show multiple comparable shots based on different tripods, handheld and such.
Unless you provide this there is no evidence for your claims other than evidence for your own setup being the Problem.

Let us wait until you come up with a well documented series of results where we can see which variables have been changed and what the outcome is.
Anything that can have impact on vibration, resonance and dampening is in focus.
This is a great way to be sure that anyone with an issue with their Pentax camera never comes back to Pentax Forums ever again. We have someone with enough experience to put together a nice slide scanning rig, not a beginner-level project, and you straight out said he had sub-soccer mom levels of skills and clearly the whole thing is his fault.

We can be much better than this as a community.

06-18-2021, 08:30 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
^^^ Agree 100%. The reply is just about as unhelpful as can be.
06-18-2021, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Perhaps we are just too tired of the endless complaining - a lot of which being from non-Pentaxians, even dpthoughtses with no other purpose than to bash our choice. We should keep in mind that some criticism is valid.

This being said, the OP's points, hmm...
- ISO above 51200 being useless, OK, but it's not like other cameras do better than that. The max ISO is marketing, the D500 does that too - except it gets worse images.
As the lower ("usable") ISOs aren't affected at all, it's a moot point.
- there's no issue with the camera's ISO 100 and ISO 200 images. DPReview obtained shutter shake, but that depends on the shutter speeds - not on the ISO. Even with DPReview's setup, avoiding those shutter speeds would avoid the issue. Or, shoot with Pixel Shift.
I can understand how it's a bit questionable to talk about an "ISO 100 and ISO 200" issue.
- slightly warming up is not an issue unless it is. Did the camera shut down? Was it uncomfortable to hold? My GRiii also gets slightly warm, but that never was an issue.

We should keep in mind that DPReview had shutter shock with many other cameras, but their Image Comparison tool won't show that...
06-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do we know what happened at dpreview? You can get blurry pictures by any camera; that's why the concept of sturdy tripods exist. Until we get some systematic tests we have no idea whats going on.

06-18-2021, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Do we know what happened at dpreview? You can get blurry pictures by any camera; that's why the concept of sturdy tripods exist. Until we get some systematic tests we have no idea whats going on.
you can have a look at the homepage of the original poster photoinfos.com Fotografie Kameras Teleskope Mikroskope Scanner tests reviews and se tons of information about testing of scanners, telescopes, microscopes,.... He for sure knows how to set up a stable tripod. How should he feel having invested the money in the K3iii and cannot achieve same results on his setup he got with former cameras.? I would be disappointed.
so this site
Vergleich. Vergrößerungsobjektive zum Abfotografieren von Dias und Negativen
demonstrates that he was able to get 5793 dpi at slidescanning using a K1 with pixelshift. This tells me enough about the ridiculous soccer mom comment.
06-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My tests with pixelshift

.....I really don't know what is going on with other setups, but I figured the pixelshift version of a K3III camera has to be the best it can do...

....so, I ran some tests at various ISO numbers and various shutter speeds.....and if there is a difference from a pixelshift version (using electronic shutter) and the other mechanical shutter version (all using mirror lockup and 12 sec timer, no horizon correction) I can't see it.....at least at 100% zoom....

....attached are three examples...all shot at ISO 200 and 1/80s....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
06-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a great way to be sure that anyone with an issue with their Pentax camera never comes back to Pentax Forums ever again. We have someone with enough experience to put together a nice slide scanning rig, not a beginner-level project, and you straight out said he had sub-soccer mom levels of skills and clearly the whole thing is his fault.

I totally disagree take a look through the Ops past posts and practically all of those are basically gripes regarding something about Pentax that he doesn't like. There are chronic complainers who don't actually want help they just prefer complaining. These types of continuous complaint get totally tiring and serve no useful purpose except to turn people away from Pentax and a superb camera.

06-18-2021, 09:55 PM - 5 Likes   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Agreed ^ ^ ^

Yes, he made the mistake of mentioning the DPR test, but his methodology is clear and much higher rigor than the level of testing generally done by users on this site. My thoughts are that this is something very subtle with possible interaction with light source and sensor design and test rigs similar to his may be appropriate for this sort of work.

Steve
06-18-2021, 10:10 PM   #54
Pentaxian

It is on the user to find a problem. At the end it is on Pentax to nail it down and fix it.

---------- Post added 19-06-21 at 07:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I totally disagree take a look through the Ops past posts and practically all of those are basically gripes regarding something about Pentax that he doesn't like. There are chronic complainers who don't actually want help they just prefer complaining. These types of continuous complaint get totally tiring and serve no useful purpose except to turn people away from Pentax and a superb camera.
That does not mean the user is wrong with his complaints.

---------- Post added 19-06-21 at 07:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Agreed ^ ^ ^

Yes, he made the mistake of mentioning the DPR test, but his methodology is clear and much higher rigor than the level of testing generally done by users on this site. My thoughts are that this is something very subtle with possible interaction with light source and sensor design and test rigs similar to his may be appropriate for this sort of work.

Steve
When I first saw the DPR test - I don’t read the Blabla, I look at images - I was wondering about blurred low iso images.
The good thing about DPR is that Pentax will read the article and try to identify what happened. I expect a bug fix soon.
06-19-2021, 03:37 AM - 5 Likes   #55
Forum Member

Original Poster
After reading your comments and other reports on the web, I examined the exposure times of the blurred images and they were between 1/30 s and 1/80 s. The blurring looks like a second, slightly offset, weaker image, perhaps as a result of a sensorshift during the exposure. Does that sound crazy? Yes!

But do you remember that in the announcements before launching the Pentax K-3 III it was stated several times that the image quality was not only improved for high ISO values, but even for IS0 100? That had surprised me at that time.

See: https://youtu.be/cLX3H1Zblos?t=497

Perhaps Pentax engineers have come up with something clever which does not yet work for every application. Possibly indeed a pixel-shift during longer exposure times (< 1/100 s) in the lower ISO range, which should bei compensated by the processor and is used to get better tonal values with the Bayer matrix.

I cannot test this because I had to send the borrowed camera back to Ricoh.

Last edited by sindbad1; 06-21-2021 at 02:10 AM.
06-19-2021, 04:23 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Agreed ^ ^ ^

Steve
It's easy to mention the DPR test, while forgetting how DPR found similar issues for many other cameras.

What we need is a thorough investigation of this issue, using several types of supports, several cameras (more than one sample of each) and lenses, and checking every potential problematic shutter speed.
Unfortunately, the amount of work is staggering, and I don't think anyone (even Lens Rentals or other organizations with access to a large number of cameras and lenses) can do it.

DPR will unavoidably half-botch it because they lack the resources; and then, they might forget to talk about other cameras.

Last edited by Kunzite; 06-19-2021 at 04:35 AM.
06-19-2021, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
After reading your comments and other reports on the web, I examined the exposure times of the blurred images and they were between 1/30 s and 1/80 s. The blurring looks like a second, slightly offset, weaker image, perhabs as a result of a sensorshift during the exposure. Does that sound crazy? Yes!

But do you remember that in the announcements before the appearance of the Pentax K-3 III it was stated several times that the image quality was not only improved for high ISO values, but even for IS0 100? That had surprised me at that time.

See: https://youtu.be/cLX3H1Zblos?t=497

Perhaps Pentax engineers have come up with something clever which does not yet work for every application. Possibly indeed a pixel shift during longer exposure times (< 1/100 s) in the lower ISO range, which should bei compensated by the processor, but is used to get better tonal values with the Bayer matrix.

You're putting some out-of-the-box creative thought into this, and combined with your obvious experience your theory deserves consideration.

Thanks for putting so much study into the "why" rather than simply complaining.
06-19-2021, 07:46 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone considered the sensor mount and S/R system in all of this discussion ? Possibly it is not designed to be used with the sensor pointing straight down with the camera hard mounted.
06-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Has anyone considered the sensor mount and S/R system in all of this discussion ? Possibly it is not designed to be used with the sensor pointing straight down with the camera hard mounted.
Hopefully Pentax considered it. If the SR system interferes even when turned off that would be a massive fail.

06-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
That is too bad. The cool part is that they now know at least one more part of the puzzle.

Steve