Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 143 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2021, 03:20 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Tighter distribution infers less blur? Are we assuming each case shares the same mean?
Yes, and yes. You are aware that I am referring to a series with the same object, identical exposure parameters and identical develop settings? The Pixel Shift sample was slightly different but it was not what was at issue in the first place.

FWIW, the distribution in PS is the creation of ACR.* Processing to a TIFF using non-transformed RAW conversion might show something different.

Steve

* Pet peeve of mine.
Of course it is. But we are interested in real-world images, aren’t we? If you would like to play with the raw files I can send them to you.

06-23-2021, 03:22 AM   #107
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
If you read this thread: K-3 III bug in 2s self timer mode - Source of fuzzyness - PentaxForums.com you will see that the horizon correction is not a red herring. Several people have reported that the problem disappear when horizon correction is turned off.
I did...in detail. The issue with the horizon correction is very real and is probably as you and others have reported, but there is no reason to assign it as cause for the ISO-linked softness at lower shutter speeds. I apologize for using the term "red herring". All it means is that the observation is unrelated to the conclusion.

Steve
06-23-2021, 03:41 AM   #108
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Of course it is. But we are interested in real-world images, aren’t we?
Then post full-resolution crops of the same region. I am not convinced that those SD's are statistically different from each other.

Steve
06-23-2021, 03:42 AM   #109
Forum Member

Very frustrating for you

06-23-2021, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

Then post full-resolution crops of the same region. I am not convinced that those SD's are statistically different from each other.

Steve
These are full resolution crops. Sorry, I should have mentioned it.
06-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Another real-world test: Sigma 70mm 1:2.8 EX DG Macro at f/6.3, 1/80, ISO 160, Manfrotto 074 tripod with X-Pro 3 head, straight exposure with cable release and no measures to reduce vibration. In the second sample I dampened the tripod by putting my hand on the head during exposure.

When looking REALLY closely there might be the tiniest amount of blur in the undampened sample but I’m not sure. Image statistics do not support that there is a difference.

You’re welcome to download and compare the samples (full resolution centre crops), which somehow always look sharper in Photoshop than on a webpage.

I have seen a little blur in this exposure range with my Manfrotto tripod but it is hard to reproduce. Proper experimentation would require all variables to be fixed except one whose effect can then be studied. However, in a system as complex as a camera plus tripod, this is all but impossible. I’ll admit that there can be some situations when what is most probably mirror shock can cause vibration-induced blur (as with any camera I have used so far) but I do not consider it a real problem, at least with my unit.

Last edited by wkraus; 06-23-2021 at 09:14 AM.
06-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I did...in detail. The issue with the horizon correction is very real and is probably as you and others have reported, but there is no reason to assign it as cause for the ISO-linked softness at lower shutter speeds. I apologize for using the term "red herring". All it means is that the observation is unrelated to the conclusion.

Steve
Sure, but as I said previously I'm only aware of two instances where this has been reported. Hence, I'm not (yet) convinced that this is a real issue....

06-23-2021, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #113
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sure, but as I said previously I'm only aware of two instances where this has been reported. Hence, I'm not (yet) convinced that this is a real issue....
That is fine, though after reviewing the OPs methods and resources on their site, I found a high degree of rigor backing the observation and compelling evidence the observation is valid. Assuming, of course that they were not totally faking the results.

If I find someone locally with a K-3iii, I will attempt to reproduce using gear I have on hand. My LPL 670XL is adaptable to a copy stand and I have high-end lenses similar to those used by the OP.

Steve

(...Koch's postulates for establishing causation in disease come to mind...by analogy only...)
06-23-2021, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #114
Pentaxian

When looking REALLY closely there might be the tiniest amount of blur in the undampened sample but I’m not sure.
The second (dampened) image shows the tiniest amount of additional detail (only detectable, AFAIC, when directly overlaying the two images and switching back and forth between them).
06-24-2021, 12:54 AM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The second (dampened) image shows the tiniest amount of additional detail (only detectable, AFAIC, when directly overlaying the two images and switching back and forth between them).
Thanks for looking! So would you agree that in this specific situation (meant to be somehow similar to the DPR setup) shutter/mirror blur is a non-issue?
06-24-2021, 03:32 AM   #116
Pentaxian

So would you agree that in this specific situation (meant to be somehow similar to the DPR setup) shutter/mirror blur is a non-issue?
Yes, definitely.

DPReview's blur is far, far greater; I'm hoping they just happened to receive an out of spec camera.
06-24-2021, 05:39 AM   #117

No. Only fuzzy images while using 2s self timer and horizon correction at some medium shutter speeds. It's a bug.
Why should shutter shock be restricted to 100 and 200 ISO? Makes no sense....
I have this issue. It gets relevant as the exposure time becomes slower. Any Idea about how resolve the bug? I mean, maybe someone has news about it.
Thanks
Danilo
06-24-2021, 06:43 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
I have this issue. It gets relevant as the exposure time becomes slower. Any Idea about how resolve the bug? I mean, maybe someone has news about it.
Thanks
Danilo
Turn off horizon correction or use something other than the 2s timer if you need horizon correction.
06-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Turn off horizon correction or use something other than the 2s timer if you need horizon correction.
Thanks. This is not the answer I am looking for, unfortunately. To be more explicit I was referring to Pentax fix (i.e. Firmware) or to a confirmation this is a software issue and not a technical issue. For sure i can get horizontal landscapes with 1 click in post but ....

Sorry

Danilo
06-24-2021, 08:58 AM   #120
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
Thanks
Danilo
That is an interesting variation. The reports for horizon correction + 2s timer are for blur in the 1/125s range.

Steve