Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2021, 08:27 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Totally upset with my K-3 Mk III

My Mk III is causing me problems the autofocus tracking along with the 11 fps continuous A/F is so good I'm wearing out my camera? I went out plane spotting yesterday and in the span of about 30 minutes I had added 331more shutter actuations to my shutter count. This is a diabolical scheme by the crafty engineers at Ricoh/Pentax to wear out your Mk III sooner than you normally would to boost additional sales of the Mk III. Additionally it is causing me to take more time in front of my computer trying to decide the absolute best image to post. If this isn't resolved soon by Pentax I may have to sell my Mk III.

Alley 31 on short final 34L Jan
by Larry Mc, on Flickr

Delta N943AT short final 34L Jan
by Larry Mc, on Flickr

06-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
My Mk III is causing me problems the autofocus tracking along with the 11 fps continuous A/F is so good I'm wearing out my camera?

Wrong approach my friend
No longer any need for the "spray and pray" approach, in the hope one will be OK, just get the framing right and press the button once, the camera will do the rest! Save the high-speed drive for unpredictable action, like aerobatics or randomly moving wildlife (or children)!
Enjoy
06-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Wrong approach my friend
No longer any need for the "spray and pray" approach, in the hope one will be OK, just get the framing right and press the button once, the camera will do the rest! Save the high-speed drive for unpredictable action, like aerobatics or randomly moving wildlife (or children)!
Enjoy
No No No.......if it shoots that fast I am compelled to utilize the full capability of the camera. You know, lock in and fire away. A five minute stop by the airport plane spotting is no fun.
06-17-2021, 08:57 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So sorry to hear of your disappointment -- it must be terribly frustrating. I can't see how either of those pictures are keepers -- I can't make out the cockpit instruments.

Like you, my K-3 Mark III is causing no end of angst. Just yesterday evening, I went to a small town not far from home to catch some interesting light on the buildings at sunset. Every time I looked through the viewfinder, I was so amazed at the clear, crisp, and large view that I lost interest in my subject.

Hope you can learn to live with the new camera.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-17-2021 at 09:04 AM.
06-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

what to do

what to do

I went and bought my K 3 III Silver Premium

but I now know that my other cameras still work even the K 10D

what ever should I do
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
06-17-2021, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought two for the same reason.
06-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this isn't resolved soon by Pentax I may have to sell my Mk III.
I have contacted Pentax on your behalf : they will be able not solve your problem and suggested that you'd better off selling it (to me) at a "bargain price".

06-17-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No No No.......if it shoots that fast I am compelled to utilize the full capability of the camera. You know, lock in and fire away. A five minute stop by the airport plane spotting is no fun.

Make sure you hold that shutter release down until the buffer is completely full too....
06-17-2021, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
So sorry to hear of your disappointment -- it must be terribly frustrating. I can't see how either of those pictures are keepers -- I can't make out the cockpit instruments.

Like you, my K-3 Mark III is causing no end of angst. Just yesterday evening, I went to a small town not far from home to catch some interesting light on the buildings at sunset. Every time I looked through the viewfinder, I was so amazed at the clear, crisp, and large view that I lost interest in my subject.

Hope you can learn to live with the new camera.

- Craig
Yes, I was so disappointed that I couldn't see the female passenger four rows back on the Delta flight winking at me, I just have to learn to deal with the disappointment. I guess.

Oh my, how devastating looking through that big beautiful viewfinder and losing interest in your subject. How do you cope? Have you considered legal action?

Hang in there, My friend!
06-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I have contacted Pentax on your behalf : they will be able not solve your problem and suggested that you'd better off selling it (to me) at a "bargain price".
Thanks for your intervention on my behalf with Ricoh/Pentax, I'm extremely disappointed that they won't be able to solve my problem. I thank you for your generous purchase offer but I have decided to tough it out and keep the offending device. i would suggest you contact forum member @sinbad1 he may be more inclined to sell his copy at a generous discount. Again thanks for the offer.
06-17-2021, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiddo70 Quote
I bought two for the same reason.
Sell them quick before you are devastatingly disappointed!!
06-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Make sure you hold that shutter release down until the buffer is completely full too....
Then what should I do????
06-17-2021, 08:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Then what should I do????
Keep holding down the button, then Hold it down again. I have modified mine by placing a brick ontop of the stutter button, to make sure it is always pressed.
06-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I've set one of the slots on the SFn wheel for drive mode, so I can go up and down with continuous speed depending on how unpredictable the action seems. I was getting way too many of the "same" shots just running it on high. Mostly set it to Medium as I can manage a 2 or 3 photo burst pretty easily at that setting.
06-18-2021, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

LOL

My main problem with the K-3 III is physical. Since I have the camera, my left arm is very painful. Must be a problem with the DFA150-450 on the K-3 III, because I always get the pain after hours of chasing pictures of birds that I could never hope to get in focus on my previous cameras.