Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #1

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
K3 III visual and audible focus confirmation 'lost'

Last week i installed firmware v.1.02 and all went well but now the audible 'beep' and indicator lamp for focus confirmation has disappeared. I am using the 150-450 zoom with the 1.4 rear TC. The camera focuses well but I am relying on my vision before I press the shutter button. I have removed the lens/replaced, removed/replaced the batteries without any success. I tried differant lenses but still no go. Has anyone on the forums have a similar issue? Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks in advance

06-18-2021, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Did you make sure you're using AF.S and not AF.C?
AF.C will not light the viewfinder when focus is confirmed nor will it beep.
06-19-2021, 06:27 AM   #3

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Original Poster
Thank you for your reply. How do I select AF.S?
06-19-2021, 06:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
Thank you for your reply. How do I select AF.S?
Hold down the AF mode button (left side of camera) and rotate one of the e-dials…the rear display will show you that the front e-dial toggles AF.S/AF.C and the rear e-dial which one selects the active AF area.

06-19-2021, 07:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
Strange, I live on the east coast of Vancouver Island and this morning about ten minutes ago I spotted a pair of Downy Woodpeckers on one of my deck feeders. I grabbed the K3III to pop a few shots and both audible and visual focus confirmation functions have returned over night. Weired or what?
Thanks again for your reply.
06-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Things keep getting weirder. After downloading the Downy Woodpecker shots to Lightroom I noticed the images were JPEGs. I reset the K3III to record as Raw and then took a few test shots to import to Lightroom and got the message 'The files cannot be opened by Lightroom'. I took a few test shots on my K1 and have no problem. Suspecting the card in the K3III had become corrupt I put in a brand new card, took a few test shots and get the same message from Lightroom. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance
06-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Dng or pef?

06-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I think you may need to update Camera Raw
06-19-2021, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
This afternoon I went to Creative Cloud and updated Photoshop, Lightroom etc. and now Raw files from K3III now open up. All is now 'right as rain''.
Thanks to all!

Asahi67