Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2021, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Setting AF modes through the SFn interface would be redundant, except that you can set at once the AF Mode, AF Active Area and AF Hold. And it's easier than with User Modes.

06-19-2021, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
And so if the points you want to use that don’t require you to recompose are struggling to lock focus because of low light, you can tap the joystick to go back to the center points, use them to focus, and recompose. No need to actually use the center point AF mode.
It is not related to low light...physical aperture size is the limitation. Without it one gets poorer precision when using faster lenses. I have amended my comment with clarification.* Ironically, one gets easier focus lock, but it won't be as consistently accurate.

Steve

* FWIW, the Ricoh documentation is misleading on this point.
06-19-2021, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
And so if the points you want to use that donít require you to recompose are struggling to lock focus because of low light, you can tap the joystick to go back to the center points, use them to focus, and recompose. No need to actually use the center point AF mode.
That is a useful piece of information - thanks for sharing and explains why I had issues in low light.
06-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You are dealing with a whole new animal from Pentax with the Mk III especially Continuous A/F and autofocus areas. The A/f is hard to screw up. Try each auto focus area to get familiar with each one Expanded Area S, M and Large. Start out learning the Expanded AF Area Large as this area works hand in hand with Continuous A/F and tracks really well. Don't be afraid to work in TAV mode and let the ISO float just dial in a reasonable Aperture setting and depending on the speed of your subject set your shutter speed higher than you normally would with say a K-3 Mk I or a KP. Today I shot a couple of series of a guy riding a road bike with my 55-300 PLM and of forty to fifty or so Continuous A/F images not a single one was out of focus. Also don't worry about the little squares not being on the target sometimes the camera usually always stays locked in.

As for multiple subjects in the frame place the center + on the subject you want to track and use one of the red colored expanded Area AF selections. Experiment with the three different area sizes.
Thanks for the tips. Is it possible to configure different AF areas for AFS and AFC?

06-20-2021, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

Yes you can, by using AF user modes, that can set AF mode, AF area and AF hold at the same time.
These AF user modes can be assigned to a sFn. I m kit sure if there is another way of accessing them quickly. Maybe you can assign them to a tile on the info screen?