Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K3-3 wasted space around rear LCD monitor - why?

I'm surprised I didn't notice it at first - but when I did, I thought I had accidentally activated crop mode. What is with the wasted space around the borders of the rear LCD? My old K3 uses up almost all the space taken up by the monitor on the back of the camera.

Apologies if this has been pointed out before.

06-20-2021, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lots of possibilities... Might depend on what components are available on the market, the cost of those relative to the intended selling price, the available internal space in the camera (weather sealing), its being a touch screen, or simply a design choice.

06-20-2021, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes , bizarre indeed
06-20-2021, 04:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
yes , bizarre indeed
I really thought I had inadvertently selected crop mode - and was leafing through the manual to see how to disable it!

06-20-2021, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
I really thought I had inadvertently selected crop mode - and was leafing through the manual to see how to disable it!
Now, why exactly would there be a crop mode on play back with the rear screen? The black border around the rear screen was discussed over a year ago in the News and Rumors section of the forum. My vote for the reason is the touch capability.
06-20-2021, 05:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Now, why exactly would there be a crop mode on play back with the rear screen? The black border around the rear screen was discussed over a year ago in the News and Rumors section of the forum. My vote for the reason is the touch capability.
Yeah, it seems to be the same unit as on the GRiii - just turned 180o
06-20-2021, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yeah, it seems to be the same unit as on the GRiii - just turned 180o
If that was a fact then the images would be inverted!!!!

06-20-2021, 05:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now, why exactly would there be a crop mode on play back with the rear screen?
I was panicking and not thinking straight!
06-20-2021, 06:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If that was a fact then the images would be inverted!!!!
No, you're wrong - the images are finally in the correct orientation. You see, the lens is projecting an inverted image - which was shown inverted until now (because they didn't think of turning the LCD upside down!).
Remember how you'd develop film at some lab, and all your images were upside down? How when you'd print an image, it would always exit the printer heads (or sky, for a landscape) down? No more of that!

P.S. It's obvious but I'll still say it: they inverted the SD slots for the same reason.
06-20-2021, 06:56 AM   #10

1 - there are electrical traces coming off the edges of the touch screen pad and the LCD
2 - the layers of glass need to be bonded together somewhere that doesn't cover the viewing/touch area.

These areas are often covered with a physical frame or mask or just covered with black or some other color.
06-20-2021, 07:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
1 - there are electrical traces coming off the edges of the touch screen pad and the LCD
2 - the layers of glass need to be bonded together somewhere that doesn't cover the viewing/touch area.

These areas are often covered with a physical frame or mask or just covered with black or some other color.
How do phones touch screens work then? My phone has no border at all.
06-20-2021, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I guess Ricoh Imaging is using a less advanced (in this regard) touch screen...
Costs might be higher when you don't order millions of units.
06-20-2021, 09:50 AM   #13
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm surprised I didn't notice it at first - but when I did, I thought I had accidentally activated crop mode. What is with the wasted space around the borders of the rear LCD? My old K3 uses up almost all the space taken up by the monitor on the back of the camera.

Apologies if this has been pointed out before.
Similar (to the K3iii) amount of black border spacing around the K1 lcd, so there should be an explainable reason.
06-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, you're wrong - the images are finally in the correct orientation. You see, the lens is projecting an inverted image - which was shown inverted until now (because they didn't think of turning the LCD upside down!).
Remember how you'd develop film at some lab, and all your images were upside down? How when you'd print an image, it would always exit the printer heads (or sky, for a landscape) down? No more of that!

P.S. It's obvious but I'll still say it: they inverted the SD slots for the same reason.
Thanks, nobody ever splained it to me dat way!
06-20-2021, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I highly doubt your phone has no border at all. Top and bottom, very edges or left and right there is a slight border. Some of the packaging of components will obviously be different than a DSLR screen. With that said, have you seen phone retail prices? Imagine if the screen on our cameras had the same packaging. The K-3 III would be $3000 + USD. All touch screens have a border for the digitizer. My work is 90% touchscreen and every single one no matter the manufacturer has a border.

Last edited by Kobie; 06-20-2021 at 10:10 PM.