Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2021, 10:54 AM - 4 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had the K-3 Mark III for nearly two months. I spent some time to calibrate the AF Fine Adjustment for my lenses, and have used it on several photo outings.

I could say many positive things about the camera, but I'll offer just a few observations.
  • What a difference 3mm makes! The extra protrusion of the eyecup means that my right thumb never smudges my eyeglass lens! On my K-3 II, I had to position my thumb carefully to prevent this annoyance. And, my nose rarely smudges the monitor.
  • I really, really like the new viewfinder!
  • I'm very happy with the controls. The buttons and dials offer a quality, tactile experience. Their placement and functions are intuitive to me and I'm slowly adapting my muscle memory.
  • I've tested the shake reduction, and can confidently achieve at least 3 steps advantage over the conventional 1/(FLx1.5) rule of thumb.
  • I've taken a few pictures at ISO 6400, including a test against a finely-engraved crisp Canadian $1 bank note. Yup, it's good!
  • I'm still working through the customization, but might not take advantage of all the seemingly-unlimited configurations.
  • The menu system is okay. As with the K-3 II, I'll never memorize all of the functions, so I'll be menu-diving or searching on occasion. The touch screen works well for me.
  • The camera is really solid. I've already used it to build a small garden shed.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-21-2021 at 11:13 AM.
06-21-2021, 02:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
[*]The camera is really solid. I've already used it to build a small garden shed.[/LIST]Craig
So it makes a pretty nifty hammer.....HUH??
06-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

" Obviously one get used to the menu system but it is not as intuitive as on older models..."

I found the same problem when I had the GRIII. I sold that because I found it just too small (heck my MX feels too small these days). However my experience with that camera has help lessening the learning curve on the K3/3. You won't notice after awhile.
06-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I'm curious about what you're finding that makes it not possible to navigate the menus with touch alone
Let's say I wanted to go from the status screen to the control panel or main menu. Is that possible without pressing any buttons?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2021, 04:37 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
The reason for the triple mode dial/switch (LV, CAM, MOVIE) from what I can see is better simplicity regarding settings available per mode.Camera mode gives you certain menu options, LV then changes the options in the menu, MOVIE gives you a different set of options.Each mode you're in will only give you the menu items that pertain to that specific shooting mode.I think that's a better idea than a monster menu with a bunch of greyed out items that you think you should be able to select. The new mode dial de-clutters things and keeps the options focused on only what you need for that specific mode.
This has always been the case though, the only difference is that you turn the knob now rather than pressing a button.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
That's an opinion. I find the new menu system more intuitive than the older system.
I agree, but I've been using the Olympus system as well, so the transition for me was probably not as great.
06-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Let's say I wanted to go from the status screen to the control panel or main menu. Is that possible without pressing any buttons?
I guess I wouldn’t define those as part of navigating the menu. I think there’s good reason not to be able to do those things by touch from the status screen, as it would be way too easy to be bumping your way into the menu or control panel from the status screen as the camera jostles against things that trigger the touch screen. Once you’re into the control panel or main menu, however, then it’s pretty safe that you’re looking at the screen and touch should be active.

06-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #23
JPT
Pentaxian

It's interesting when you spend some time getting used to used to a new menu system and then go back to the old one. Either it feels like pleasantly familiar feeling of coming home, or it just feels frustrating because you've got used to something better. When I switch back from the GR III to my K-5 IIs (admintedly not the latest Pentax body), the menu system feels rather crude. I don't think I would buy a camera without a touch screen again. It's worth it just for the image review and menu navigation.

Does the K-3 III have the same shortcut to activate wi-fi as the GR III? When you press play momentarily it goes into playback mode, but when you hold that button for a bit longer (like a second), it activates wi-fi.
06-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It's interesting when you spend some time getting used to used to a new menu system and then go back to the old one. Either it feels like pleasantly familiar feeling of coming home, or it just feels frustrating because you've got used to something better. When I switch back from the GR III to my K-5 IIs (admintedly not the latest Pentax body), the menu system feels rather crude. I don't think I would buy a camera without a touch screen again. It's worth it just for the image review and menu navigation.

Does the K-3 III have the same shortcut to activate wi-fi as the GR III? When you press play momentarily it goes into playback mode, but when you hold that button for a bit longer (like a second), it activates wi-fi.
I set my K-3 III to toggle wifi with the AE-L button since I never use that for exposure lock.
06-21-2021, 06:43 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I agree with most of this. The menu system is a step backwards from previous models where I never needed to consult the manual.
I like to add that the SR system in real life seems like 3 stops better than the one in the K-3. Add perhaps 4 stops better high ISO performance than the K-3. This adds at least a 7 stop advantage over the K-3 making the K-3 III a lot better for hand held shots......
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I agree, the menu is suddenly hard to navigate.

And the live view I programmed the lock-button to start live view so the only button that is different from K-1 is now the play button and I have some trouble to reach it.

Also I do not like that the joystick does not navigate the menu. And no tilty LCD is sad.

Otherwise I am very happy. Sharp images of BIF that I struggled with before is now a breeze. I just locks on and keeps it locked. =)
I am wondering whether the menu system layout could be modified via a software update, somehow.
Could it be possible to have it identical to the K3/II ?
06-21-2021, 07:05 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I am wondering whether the menu system layout could be modified via a software update, somehow.
Could it be possible to have it identical to the K3/II ?
Doing that would remove the best feature of the new menu. "Last cursor position". It was the first thing I enabled. Now when I go into a category, the curser is already at the exact sub menu and actual option within that sub menu so I don't have to scroll from the main category. It just wouldn't be possible with the old menu structure.
06-21-2021, 11:18 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I set my K-3 III to toggle wifi with the AE-L button since I never use that for exposure lock.
I'm surprised K3-3 doesn't have a dedicated wifi button like the K70.
06-22-2021, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #28
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
I'm surprised K3-3 doesn't have a dedicated wifi button like the K70.
What I do is to turn off the camera, press and hold play and turn on. Wait 2s and the wifi is turned on.
06-22-2021, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
What I do is to turn off the camera, press and hold play and turn on. Wait 2s and the wifi is turned on.
I just use the app on the phone. It is able to turn on wifi with its bluetooth connection.
06-22-2021, 01:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I have the same ambiguous feeling when switching between my K-3II and the GRIII. I guess my time with the GRIII has facilitated the change to the K-3III greatly, although the latter is much more complex.

Yes, the GRIII has a lot of those nice little short cuts. I love it for that. Of course it doesn't have as many buttons as the K-3III, so the K-3III doesn't have it I think and doesn't need it either. Probably also having long press features on the K-3III would make it too complex, if it isn't already for some that is...