Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-23-2021, 12:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hot shoe cover O-HC177 on my silver K-3 III

I just received the metal O-HC177 hot shoe cover to replace the black plastic one on my silver edition K-3 III. I love the design of the silver edition, but regret they didn't change the colour of the hot shoe cover on it. Hence I got this accessory to replace it.

I'll include a picture later, but already want to report on it.

The O-HC177 looks and feels great, and it slides in the hot shoe confidently. However, somewhat disappointingly though not overly so, the colour of the cover doesn't match the silver of the K-3 III. I would say it is a tone or two darker. It still looks better than the plastic one, and it has the same lovely feeling the metal finish of the K-3 III's top has.

Am I happy that I got it? Yes I am, but it is relatively expensive (49 EUR) for what you get of course. I'm not in a habit of losing stuff like that, but I'll be extra careful now anyway...

06-23-2021, 12:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If its the 100yrs one, be careful when you put it in your bag. The lip catches on things and I nearly lost mine a couple of times
06-23-2021, 02:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
If its the 100yrs one, be careful when you put it in your bag. The lip catches on things and I nearly lost mine a couple of times
I see. I did hesitate about that one at first, but the O-HC177 is another design, specifically made for the K-3 III, sort of replicating the angular shape of the prism. Hence I decided on that one instead. It doesn't look like anything protrudes that could catch onto things.

---------- Post added 23-06-21 at 11:29 ----------

Here is the image. Not a great shot, but that's what my phone can do... I also see the O-ME53 VF loupe attracts a lot of dust...
06-23-2021, 03:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I see. I did hesitate about that one at first, but the O-HC177 is another design, specifically made for the K-3 III, sort of replicating the angular shape of the prism. Hence I decided on that one instead. It doesn't look like anything protrudes that could catch onto things.

Here is the image. Not a great shot, but that's what my phone can do... I also see the O-ME53 VF loupe attracts a lot of dust...
OK, that is really neat

06-23-2021, 06:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its neat, but what about all that lint on the ovf cup, did you just wipe it with a cloth ?
06-23-2021, 07:15 AM   #6

Nice little accessory.

Don't you hate it when you take a photo and all the dust on your gear shows in all it's shameful glory? Makes you wonder why your eye didn't pick it up before.
06-23-2021, 07:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Angulon Quote
Its neat, but what about all that lint on the ovf cup, did you just wipe it with a cloth ?
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Nice little accessory.

Don't you hate it when you take a photo and all the dust on your gear shows in all it's shameful glory? Makes you wonder why your eye didn't pick it up before.
I know... ... Must be from the shirt that I wore when taking the K-3 III out on a walk last WE. The rubber of the O-ME53 is pretty adhesive. At least this way you're sure it's a real world impression and not a shiny product shot...

06-23-2021, 07:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
cool thing

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote

Not available in Australia, have checked.
Not even on eBay in Japan?

Must be very new.
06-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Not available in Australia, have checked.
Not even on eBay in Japan?

Must be very new.
It is very new indeed. It is actually still listed on the website of Ricoh Europe as: "This item is on Preorder. Available beginning of May 2021". The same as it was when I ordered it via my B&M Store, half expecting they wouldn't be able to get it. But they did. Since it is still not listed as available, I'm guessing it was a special order from Japan?
06-24-2021, 07:42 AM   #10
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yikes! The price!

https://www.adorama.com/ipxhsc.html?
06-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
Yes, it is pricy... in Europe it's even more (49 EUR). I'm not sure it was worth it, but I like the way it looks and feels, so I'm keeping it on the camera.
06-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
I bought my K-3 iii from Adorama, so I waited to get the hot shoe cover until the points from the camera purchase posted. That got me basically 50% off the price on the hot shoe cover.
06-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

£49 for a hot shoe cover is absolutely ridiculous. I hate the way companies milk their loyal fans
06-24-2021, 11:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
£49 for a hot shoe cover is absolutely ridiculous. I hate the way companies milk their loyal fans
If it goes into funding research and innovation, and helps the brand survive, I'm all right with paying that price I suppose...
06-25-2021, 12:03 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in Australia that kind of memorabilia's always go for many $$.
e.g O-HC171 ( Pentax 100 years of history ) sells for AU$ 94.50