Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2021, 04:35 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Ted. Enjoy your wonderful camera.

06-24-2021, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #17
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am using this. Cheap and good.

D LI90 D LI90P LCD Dual Battery Charger for PENTAX 645Z 645D K 1 Mark II K 3II K 5IIs K 7 K 01 K1 K3 K5 K7 Camera Replace D BC90|Camera Charger| - AliExpress
06-24-2021, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy yourself a Wasabi dual charger and two battery pack amazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Dual USB Charger for Pentax D-LI90 and Pentax 645D, 645Z, K-01, K-1, K-1 II, K-3, K-3 Mark III, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7 : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20& I've used Wasabi since 2014 with no trouble they may have little shorter charge life but they work perfectly well plus you have a charger that regulates the charge and can be used with the supplied with the USB cord. You can't go wrong for 26 bucks.
06-24-2021, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #19
Ted

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Ted

Welcome to the forum. The K3III is the first Pentax camera to be supplied with a USB adapter to allow charging of the battery without removal from the camera. Refer pages 39 and 40 of the user manual.
The camera should be off when charging the battery.

You can also charge the battery using the optional D-BC177 battery charger. (Not included with the camera)
See here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1608548-REG/pentax_37871_d_bc177_trav...981&

Kind regards,
Mark
Thank you Mark. I did not know this when I first saw the camera reviews and knew I had to have it. Have two external chargers on order. I know the battery is supposed to last for around 800 shots but my batteries seem to run low quickly. Probably because I use the screen to much. So I'll have three. Probably over kill but but better safe than sorry. I shot about 100 test shots this afternoon and was stunned by the image quality. The K3 III is awesome.

06-24-2021, 08:35 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ted Quote
Thank you Mark. I did not know this when I first saw the camera reviews and knew I had to have it. Have two external chargers on order. I know the battery is supposed to last for around 800 shots but my batteries seem to run low quickly. Probably because I use the screen to much. So I'll have three. Probably over kill but but better safe than sorry. I shot about 100 test shots this afternoon and was stunned by the image quality. The K3 III is awesome.
Thank you for your reply Ted. Great to hear too that you're loving your new camera. Feel free to post some images.

Kind regards,
Mark
06-25-2021, 12:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ted Quote
So I'll have three. Probably over kill but but better safe than sorry.
Overkill is relative. I have collected 8 batteries over the years. I do have two cameras in use on long trips. Often both have a battery grip installed as well. So that's 4 batteries in the cameras and 4 spare ones, which seems a perfectly sound strategy.
06-25-2021, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Buy yourself a Wasabi dual charger and two battery pack amazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Dual USB Charger for Pentax D-LI90 and Pentax 645D, 645Z, K-01, K-1, K-1 II, K-3, K-3 Mark III, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7 : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20& I've used Wasabi since 2014 with no trouble they may have little shorter charge life but they work perfectly well plus you have a charger that regulates the charge and can be used with the supplied with the USB cord. You can't go wrong for 26 bucks.
This charger is as much critical as THIS ONE

Both charge fast and have just the 2 contacts. The Wasabi is made in China and known under many other names such as Newmowa.
I have come across aftermarket types of the D-LI109 which started to swell! Of course quickcharge warms up the battery considerably more.
So the combination of a cheap interior (which they have!), quick charging and lack of temperature sensor should indicate a No-Go to anybody who wants to take care of his Pentax!

Actually the clone-manufacturers cheat with their clones:
The original Pentax D-LI90 (as does the D-LI109!) has a 10kOhm@20°C NTC temperature sensor.
The clones use a simple 10kOhm resistor to cheat the original Pentax charger which would otherwise not charge it!

All clone-chargers no matter which one lack the (obligatory) 3-rd contact for temperature control!

They use the obligatory centertap for voltage-monitoring and have the obligatory surge-protection.
Thats the cheap way and in the clones surge-protection is done usually just with an 8-leg double MOSFET which shuts off PLUS in case of a too high surge.
Hardly any of the clones use a polyswitch (resettable fuse, i.e. a polymeric positive temperature coefficient device = PPTC)
which anyway is quite slow in reaction but at least better than nothing.

All this cheap stuff you won't find in Pentax originals because of their much more advanced temperature NTC sensor.

Attached Images

Last edited by photogem; 06-25-2021 at 02:38 AM.
06-25-2021, 02:53 AM   #23
Pentaxian

@photogem
A lot of technical detail, thanks... I'm curious, did you disassemble these chargers?
I would not charge a 3rd-party battery in camera, anyway. Actually I gave up on 3rd-party batteries (helped by Pentax rarely changing the battery type/format).
06-25-2021, 03:46 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question: Is the charger in the kit K-BC177 the same as D-BC177?
06-25-2021, 04:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Question: Is the charger in the kit K-BC177 the same as D-BC177?
I understand it is indeed. Would seem not very efficient to have two different versions in production.
06-25-2021, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
@photogem
A lot of technical detail, thanks... I'm curious, did you disassemble these chargers?
Here a photo of the electronic board of such a dual-charger:

Just two wires (plus and minus) to the two connectors.
No 3-rd connector which would indicate a temperature-sensor

The inside of a D-LI90-clone can be seen here:

On the left (U2) the 8-legged MOSFET, in the middle (U1) the 6-legged controller (Charge/Discharge)

That's one of the better ones identical to Wasabi. Cells often differ, whatever is available cheapest in China....

Last edited by photogem; 06-25-2021 at 05:48 AM.
06-25-2021, 05:53 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Is it based on only discrete electronics or does it have an ic on the other side?
06-25-2021, 06:03 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Just two wires (plus and minus) to the two connectors.
No 3-rd connector which would indicate a temperature-sensor

The inside of a D-LI90-clone can be seen here:

On the left (U2) the 8-legged MOSFET, in the middle (U1) the 6-legged controller (Charge/Discharge)

That's one of the better ones identical to Wasabi. Cells often differ, whatever is available cheapest in China....

I have to trust you on that (and of course, I do). Are you familiar with a certain DiodeGoneWild on YouTube? I'm watching him mostly for the accent, but oh boy, he made me congratulate myself for not going cheap on these chargers! (although the worst issues were with devices directly connected to the mains).
06-25-2021, 06:27 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This charger is as much critical as THIS ONE

Both charge fast and have just the 2 contacts. The Wasabi is made in China and known under many other names such as Newmowa.
I have come across aftermarket types of the D-LI109 which started to swell! Of course quickcharge warms up the battery considerably more.
So the combination of a cheap interior (which they have!), quick charging and lack of temperature sensor should indicate a No-Go to anybody who wants to take care of his Pentax!

Actually the clone-manufacturers cheat with their clones:
The original Pentax D-LI90 (as does the D-LI109!) has a 10kOhm@20°C NTC temperature sensor.
The clones use a simple 10kOhm resistor to cheat the original Pentax charger which would otherwise not charge it!

All clone-chargers no matter which one lack the (obligatory) 3-rd contact for temperature control!

They use the obligatory centertap for voltage-monitoring and have the obligatory surge-protection.
Thats the cheap way and in the clones surge-protection is done usually just with an 8-leg double MOSFET which shuts off PLUS in case of a too high surge.
Hardly any of the clones use a polyswitch (resettable fuse, i.e. a polymeric positive temperature coefficient device = PPTC)
which anyway is quite slow in reaction but at least better than nothing.

All this cheap stuff you won't find in Pentax originals because of their much more advanced temperature NTC sensor.
Other than battery swelling (which I have never experienced with my Wasabi D-L190 batteries) or charge life what other problems would there be with using these batteries?
06-25-2021, 07:10 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use this Kingma charger. It charges with 2x600mA and it is either fast or slow. It takes 3-4 hours to charge a battery. It charges to 8.4V and the instant the diode goes from red to green, charging is turned off and the battery goes to its resting voltage.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G715FN  Photo