Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
They dug a lot deeper into what it can do than most reviews, which is good to see.

PS -not quite sure about the terrible menu system (I've not tried it, for one) but it's not something Pentax is usually criticised for...
The menu system is quite good. You don't need to spend much time in there anyway.

06-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I never understand the "limited lens lineup" comment. We are missing some very specialized, very expensive lenses. We are missing some specific 3rd party lenses.
There's plenty of lenses missing from both ff and apsc lineup. As a previous commenter said they are also old and lacking modern featured and performance.

The limiteds are great if looking for that performance profile.
06-25-2021, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
There's plenty of lenses missing from both ff and apsc lineup. As a previous commenter said they are also old and lacking modern featured and performance.

The limiteds are great if looking for that performance profile.
I look on B&H at Nikon's APS-C lineup. The only APS-C specific lenses I see that Pentax doesn't have a pretty equivalent lens for are the 18-105, The 10-24, the Fisheye prime (though I'd argue our fisheye zoom is more or less equivalent), maybe you could argue the 35/1.8 since our 35/f2 is a full frame lens, but it's smaller than theirs. They have a cheap 10-20, and our 11-18 is very high end, but we have access to the old Sigma, so that's kind of a wash.

Nikon don't have the fisheye zoom, the 14 Prime, the 15 prime, the 21 prime, no pancake 40, no super cheap compact 50/1.8, no super cheap 35/2.4, no *55/1.4, no 70mm prime, no 200, no 300. No 50-135, our 55-300 is more versatile than their 70-300, they don't have an ultra-wide f2.8 for APS-C, no ultra-compact 18-50, no 20-40 Limited, no 60-250 f4, Are any of their APS-C lenses even WR? Are any of their APS-C Cameras? (I genuinely don't know).

Help me understand how Pentax's APS-C lens lineup is more limited than Nikons? No one gripes at Nikon for it.

I see their full frame lineup has quite a few lenses we don't have, for example I'd think the 24-120 f4 like Nikon has would be a big seller, they have tilt/shift and some really nice fast tele lenses. So yeah, if you have the budget for a system with $3000 tilt shift lenses, absolutely go Nikon. I think the average hobby photographer is better off with APS-C, and for APS-C, a person is better off with our lens selection.
06-25-2021, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
They dug a lot deeper into what it can do than most reviews, which is good to see.

PS -not quite sure about the terrible menu system (I've not tried it, for one) but it's not something Pentax is usually criticised for...
I know they changed things around but I'm not sure what for - the previous menu systems were fine.

06-25-2021, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I know they changed things around but I'm not sure what for - the previous menu systems were fine.
To make it work better with a touchscreen.
06-26-2021, 08:39 AM - 2 Likes   #21

I started to write that I don’t have any major issues with the K-3 iii menu system, then the more I wrote, the more I could see why people could have issues…. I just have low expectations so I got used to it after a week or two.

My biggest two issues are that it is not obvious how Pentax decided the order of items in the menus and second, some items are hidden in sub menus, so they are hard to find.

I am guessing they started with a menu from an older camera and then over the years just started adding new features to the end. If there was some logic, it would be nice if there were a description from the menu designer helping to explain the layout rather than the normal limited info of, “here is where the menu item is,” without an explanation of why. (For example, the general calibration for the GPS is in the GPS submenu while precise calibration is in the Astrotracer submenu. For Astro work, I do both calibrations. In my K-5 both items were together under the main GPS menu. My K-1 menu, however, is set up similar to the K-3.)

I think they wanted to minimize the number of high level menu items, so they pushed stuff into submenus. If everything were on the top level, you could just keep scrolling and eventually find everything.

That being said, would the menu keep me from buying the camera? No. So far I love the performance of the camera and accept the fact I need to learn the menus because there are SO many good features.
06-26-2021, 11:06 AM - 3 Likes   #22

Original Poster
If the camera works as advertised, I'll learn the menus.

06-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #23
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LostViking Quote
If the camera works as advertised, I'll learn the menus.
That’s pretty much going to be true with either upgrading to the K3iii or changing to any other system.
06-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I bought one on the theory that if I didn't love it, I would return it. It is so much better than I had hoped for. It really has brought a huge leap in the joy of photography for me. It just does what I ask it to do. I was in the camp of if it didn't have a flippy screen, I wasn't going to buy it. I really do wish it had one, but the rest of the camera is so amazing, I just decided to keep my K-70 around for when I want low or overhead shots.
The phone app may help compose shots in those situations where a flip screen is needed.
06-29-2021, 05:33 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ben-pentax Quote
Today's RGB sensor you mean.

LV sensor is not relevant for DSLR AF.
But you said peak DSLR.

And contrast detect is a method only for Live View.
06-30-2021, 06:20 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But that's only part or what I've said.

What I have said is :
"At least the AF can be vastly improved - use the RGBir sensor for contrast detect (and let the user choose which to use, or just drop the phase detect module altogether).
"
07-06-2021, 05:22 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ben-pentax Quote
But that's only part or what I've said.

What I have said is :
"At least the AF can be vastly improved - use the RGBir sensor for contrast detect (and let the user choose which to use, or just drop the phase detect module altogether).
"
Not sure using pixels over 80 times larger (as in 1/80 as many) than the main sensor would give particularly accurate contrast detect focus solution... If you want contrast detect focus, use LV or buy mirrorless.
07-06-2021, 05:35 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Today RGBir sensor need not be tomorrow's RGBir sensor.
07-07-2021, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I pulled the trigger today and bought the K-3iii. It's the first camera I've purchased new since 2008 and it's my biggest camera purchase ever. I also got the 20-40 limited and the battery grip with it. I hope to see it by the weekend.

07-08-2021, 07:10 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Well I pulled the trigger today and bought the K-3iii. It's the first camera I've purchased new since 2008 and it's my biggest camera purchase ever. I also got the 20-40 limited and the battery grip with it. I hope to see it by the weekend.
Congrats! I think you will be satisfied. I have been impressed by mine and I feel it may take months for me to learn how to use it to full potential! Kobie's youtube vids are helpful too.
As you did, I also just picked up the 20-40. It is a good pairing. I went ahead and did auto focus fine adjustment and it did seem to need it at least in my case.