Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
Congrats! I think you will be satisfied. I have been impressed by mine and I feel it may take months for me to learn how to use it to full potential! Kobie's youtube vids are helpful too.
As you did, I also just picked up the 20-40. It is a good pairing. I went ahead and did auto focus fine adjustment and it did seem to need it at least in my case.
Thanks. I'm sure it'll take me a year or more to learn everything. It will probably be the last digital camera I get for a while. I've been reading threads on the 20-40 and I'm aware of the focus adjusts with the K-3iii

07-27-2021, 12:16 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I was thinking recently it's a shame that the K-3 III (at least to my knowledge) doesn't have automatic AF fine-tuning (focus on something in live-view then focus again using the "standard" AF system and compensate as required). I think it's still just a few Nikons that do this.
07-27-2021, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
To make it work better with a touchscreen.
That's the trick indeed. Once I got used to using the touch screen, the menu made a lot more sense.
07-27-2021, 01:41 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regarding the allegation of a “limited lens lineup”, it should be noted that the total number of Pentax APS-C lenses is second only (and only just) to Fujifilm’s, and greater than Nikon’s and much greater than Canon’s.

07-27-2021, 02:12 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Regarding the allegation of a “limited lens lineup”, it should be noted that the total number of Pentax APS-C lenses is second only (and only just) to Fujifilm’s, and greater than Nikon’s and much greater than Canon’s.
I never understood that particular complaint, esp seeing the content of my lens cabinet.

This has been written of Pentax since the early days of digital, whereas they always had APS-C specific lenses that other manufacturers did not have. Beginning with the DA16-45/4 I think, which was a unique lens in the then APS-C world. Even in those days, with little effort I managed to find a dozen or so older lenses to make up a very complete focal length coverage. All of these have in the mean time been replaced by modern ones (some twice). It might take a bit more work (= a few more clicks than a one-click purchase), but there are so many nice K-mount lenses out there...
07-27-2021, 02:20 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But there are still no fast normal or wide (equivalent) for Pentax apsc. Usually thats considered a baseline.
07-27-2021, 02:24 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I never understood that particular complaint, esp seeing the content of my lens cabinet.
Well, I sort of understand it. Let's take the Canon EF - there's a huge amount of lenses, many being quite good, with fast in-lens motors and so on - and available second hand, too.
But then you see the harshest complainers and realize they never intended to buy such "extra" lenses, if they were available for Pentax. Or cameras. Even if they say, "if the K-3iii would be half the price I'd surely buy it" (that's not a firm promise of buying by the way).

A better approach is to think a bit about what lenses you would need/want. And if the answer is - for example - the tiny DA Limiteds, no amount of inexpensive L zooms would replace those.

07-27-2021, 04:38 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
But there are still no fast normal or wide (equivalent) for Pentax apsc. Usually thats considered a baseline.
True, within the confines of that view, but Fuji’s long FL primes stop at 200, for example, even though they have one zoom lens that goes to 400mm. Nikon’s range is even more limited. On balance, though, anyone choosing one of these three systems will be reasonably well served. I don’t think it’s fair or reasonable to describe the Pentax range as “limited” in comparison with those others, and certainly not with Canon’s.
07-28-2021, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Those who want consumer zooms in the normal to tele range are well served (over served?) by Pentax. Quite a few of those lenses have also seen many iterations.

So it comes down to what type of photography you're doing and what you are comparing to. K and M era Pentax lineup? Canon or nikon apsc whilst ignoring ff glass?

07-28-2021, 02:39 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I don't really see Nikon or Canon focusing on APS-C lens creation. The assumption seems to be that you can mount full frame lenses on your APS-C camera, if you want. The 11-18 zoom seems to be Pentax's answer to fast wide. I suppose if they release a DFA *24 f1.4 down the road, APS-C folks will be able to shoot with that too.

I just don't see anyone, other than Fuji, making fast APS-C specific lenses.
07-28-2021, 02:46 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't really see Nikon or Canon focusing on APS-C lens creation. The assumption seems to be that you can mount full frame lenses on your APS-C camera, if you want. The 11-18 zoom seems to be Pentax's answer to fast wide. I suppose if they release a DFA *24 f1.4 down the road, APS-C folks will be able to shoot with that too.

I just don't see anyone, other than Fuji, making fast APS-C specific lenses.
Nikon has just one, the DX 35/1.8G. Canon has nothing faster than F2.8.
07-28-2021, 03:04 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon has just one, the DX 35/1.8G. Canon has nothing faster than F2.8.
I think Pentax's answer to that is the HD FA 35 which is f2 -- not an APS-C specific lens, but very small and sharp. And the DX 35 is for the F mount which has been superseded by the Z mount and there has been little APS-C development for the Z mount so far.
07-28-2021, 04:12 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I often see people claiming that canon and nikon only use apsc as a transport to ff. Their apsc lineup is abysmal and frequently criticized. No one says otherwise?

That doesn't change the fact that there is little wide and fast in the Pentax lineup. Most lenses are also old, noisy and fringe. Compared to other brands one or several of those issues are solved. Having a limited lineup doesn't mean few lenses only that there are niches not catered for.

In general I like the Pentax apsc lineup but my needs are specific.