Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2021, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So return to seller as faulty -- and if they balk at the idea -- make an E-bay claim

06-28-2021, 07:00 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Shipping lithium batteries "packed" like this is to bypass shipping restrictions on lithium batteries.
In many areas "naked" batteries cannot be sent by air-mail, but it's deemed OK if the battery is installed in some equipment!
Disguising the battery as a different device would likely be as illegal, potentially with some serious repercussions, especially if the thing caught fire in an airplane!
Agreed. This is why it was inside a “charger”.
06-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Disguising the battery as a different device would likely be as illegal, potentially with some serious repercussions, especially if the thing caught fire in an airplane!
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
but I will be getting a refund nonetheless.
@Spock, are there any implications for sending it back for a refund? You'd be shipping a Li-Ion battery.

- Craig
06-28-2021, 07:24 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Spock, most illogical for you to fall for this scam. The supplier should be prosecuted.
I'll be happy just with a refund. But yes, I should have spotted 'Corportion'.

---------- Post added 06-28-2021 at 10:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
@Spock, are there any implications for sending it back for a refund? You'd be shipping a Li-Ion battery.

- Craig
I won't be shipping anything (quite apart from not wanting to, it would cost more than the battery). I've asked for a full refund without any mention of returning it. If they balk at this I'll point out it's against Ebay rules to sell counterfeit products. Thankfully their bad spelling on the label has buried them.

06-28-2021, 07:27 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
eBay resolution will probably be simple refund without return shipping. If seller asks for return shipping opening a ticket with eBay should solve it.
06-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
eBay resolution will probably be simple refund without return shipping. If seller asks for return shipping opening a ticket with eBay should solve it.
I'll let you know when I hear from the seller but it should be pretty straightforward.

In the meantime, does anyone know where I can get a genuine battery without breaking the bank? Preferably from an Australian supplier.
06-28-2021, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll let you know when I hear from the seller but it should be pretty straightforward.

In the meantime, does anyone know where I can get a genuine battery without breaking the bank? Preferably from an Australian supplier.
I’ve not bothered to buy genuine batteries myself. I buy good reputation 3rd party batteries and understand they may not have exactly the same capacity or lifespan. Wasabi has worked for me in Pentax. I have other brands used in m43 and Sony. I’ve done this across ten or more bodies without any harm. I have had one original and one 3rd party battery swell on me - both were retired immediately. Neither swelled much, but the moment they didn’t feel right they were done as far as I was concerned.

Most of these bodies had two to four generic batteries in circulation.

06-28-2021, 07:44 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’ve not bothered to buy genuine batteries myself. I buy good reputation 3rd party batteries and understand they may not have exactly the same capacity or lifespan. Wasabi has worked for me in Pentax. I have other brands used in m43 and Sony. I’ve done this across ten or more bodies without any harm. I have had one original and one 3rd party battery swell on me - both were retired immediately. Neither swelled much, but the moment they didn’t feel right they were done as far as I was concerned.

Most of these bodies had two to four generic batteries in circulation.
There's certainly a big difference in price from genuine. Could be an option for me. Thanks.
06-28-2021, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's certainly a big difference in price from genuine. Could be an option for me. Thanks.
My experience may not be representative. I’ve potentially simply been lucky.

I also use wasabi in my Panasonic gx7 and GX8. Sony a7riii is using ravpower.
06-28-2021, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, cheap, but I will be getting a refund nonetheless.

---------- Post added 06-28-2021 at 08:40 PM ----------

Now I understand why it came in the post disguised as a charger.

My, but that is clever! Disguise fake battery as charger with a spin off benefit that would not have shipping restrictions that real battery might have.

Steve
06-28-2021, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are in Australia

I have a number of Pentax D-LI90 , none of them have "P".
All of them have 3 contacts , some are 10+ years old.
All of them are still fine and all of them work with K-3lll.
Recently ( within last 24 months ) I purchased some hähnel batteries HL-PL90 from Pentax.com.au and their eBay shop.
They are as good as Pentax , they are much cheaper than Pentax , they are sold by C.R Kennedy ( Pentax Australia) and have 24 months AU warranty.
Spock , you are in Australia , why not get some from them?
06-28-2021, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I have a number of Pentax D-LI90 , none of them have "P".
All of them have 3 contacts , some are 10+ years old.
All of them are still fine and all of them work with K-3lll.
Recently ( within last 24 months ) I purchased some hähnel batteries HL-PL90 from Pentax.com.au and their eBay shop.
They are as good as Pentax , they are much cheaper than Pentax , they are sold by C.R Kennedy ( Pentax Australia) and have 24 months AU warranty.
Spock , you are in Australia , why not get some from them?
Keep an eye on the Hahnel battery, I had one for my K-30. One day I went to swap it out and it wouldn't leave the camera. I finally was able to get it out and it was swollen (to big to smoothly fit in the compartment).
That was about 1.5 years or so of using it. Just something to be aware of.
06-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Keep an eye on the Hahnel battery, I had one for my K-30. One day I went to swap it out and it wouldn't leave the camera. I finally was able to get it out and it was swollen (to big to smoothly fit in the compartment).
That was about 1.5 years or so of using it. Just something to be aware of.
well , it is sold by Pentax Australia with AU warranty
06-28-2021, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
well , it is sold by Pentax Australia with AU warranty
That website is owned by CR Kennedy not Pentax. So the local distributor sold that not Pentax.

---------- Post added 06-28-21 at 02:53 PM ----------

Details from Whois:

Registrant: C.r. Kennedy & Company Proprietary Limited
Registrant ID: OTHER 008458884
Eligibility Type: Other
Eligibility Name: Asahi Pentax Distributors
06-28-2021, 02:03 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

Most of the problems we have with 3rd party batteries is they don't last as long as OEM Pentax some are pretty close though. These mfgs actually want you to trust them and buy again so they probably try to match specs closely... Sellers that blatantly try to masquerade as OEM are very dangerous... Spock got lucky and the battery didn't work.. The battery could also have easily ruined That new K3 mark 3 and I am guessing that would void the warranty.. For me.. Thats too much risk, for too little gain. I waited too long for K3 New to have K3 Dead.

al

Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-28-2021 at 04:33 PM.