Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2021, 01:38 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only negative I have for the grip is that there isn't a place to store the IR remote (which the DBG2 does have). I'd rather have that then another SD card ( considering 2 in the camera already). The DBG2 manages to fit an SD card and the remote and it's still has a shorter profile than the DBG8.

07-12-2021, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was thinking about this whole thing myself, as to the "why" bit. Why no support for the AA . and then it came to me, the K-3iii has the ability to charge the batteries, so if you had a set of normal AA batteries in there and connected the camera to a computer to download images, it would also start to try and charge the internal batteries of the camera, and trying to charge "non-rechargable" batteries would not be good.
07-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I was thinking about this whole thing myself, as to the "why" bit. Why no support for the AA . and then it came to me, the K-3iii has the ability to charge the batteries, so if you had a set of normal AA batteries in there and connected the camera to a computer to download images, it would also start to try and charge the internal batteries of the camera, and trying to charge "non-rechargable" batteries would not be good.
Aha, that's a good reason.

I had a K-50 with the AA-option, and I think I did keep a few rechargeables in the bag for it, but TBH I never had a reason to use 'em. None of my cameras since worked with them anyway so nothing I ever saw as a negative.
07-13-2021, 05:30 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Been using the grip daily for two weeks of tourist travel. Normally I don't put a grip unless I have a big lens mounted, but since this is a new camera/grip (I got the silver premium kit) I wanted to get a better feeling of the grip with all types of lenses, and left it on most of the time instead.

I really like the way the strap can attach to the grip now. Previous APS-C flagship grips didn't have this. It is an immense improvement for shooting in portrait orientation, which always had me struggling with the strap dangling in front of the OVF on previous cameras gripped or ungripped. The one day that I wanted a minimal setup and left off the grip, I regretted my choice very much for that reason specifically. I can see myself using the grip much more.

The button layout looks and feels much more similar to the layout of the camera itself, whereas previous ones were always slightly too different, just enough to annoy actually and use the camera controls even with the grip mounted. Won't be doing that again.

The extra slot for a memory card... I actually don't use that any more since a two card slot was introduced in the K-3.

The only time I might take it off is in scenarios where I would require an L-bracket. I do have one that fits the higher body size including the grip, but it makes the combo too large for me and the battery door inaccessible. With the L-bracket instead of the grip, I'll attach the righthand end of the strap to the L-bracket in that case. I realise now this is the most practical way after the positive experience with the strap mount point on the new grip. I could have done that before, but never thought of it... doh...