Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2021, 10:46 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote
Social media nicknamed the K-3iii as "Katie" almost half a year ago.
Can you provide a link to an example?

07-08-2021, 11:22 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see the WTCR of Aragon is scheduled for 9-11 July, so I look forward to your photos of that event, presumably soon.

I couldn’t find the 24 hrs of Barcelona for Bikes on the Circuit de Barcelona website (is it a MotoGP event?).
07-09-2021, 01:29 AM - 5 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I see the WTCR of Aragon is scheduled for 9-11 July, so I look forward to your photos of that event, presumably soon.

I couldn’t find the 24 hrs of Barcelona for Bikes on the Circuit de Barcelona website (is it a MotoGP event?).
Thanks!

Yes the 24Hs of Bikes was the last weekend, sorry for the delay I came to add some images.
No it is not a MotoGP event, is more a FIM endurance world championship race, even thought I think it is not part of the calendar.

So let me add some images from Friday practice (they do practice with day light and at night) and also Saturday

[img width=533 height=800]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51286643239_e69717f5eb_b.jpg[/img]

---------- Post added 07-09-21 at 01:30 AM ----------

07-09-2021, 07:13 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great images, excellent use of panning, and it shows off how well the K3iii does in low light.

07-09-2021, 07:27 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Can you provide a link to an example?
Hashtag Katie? - PentaxForums.com

For FB you'd have to either join one of the various Pentax Groups (Pentaxians is the largest) or if you've already joined, then just do a search for "Katie" within that group and you'll find the threads.
07-09-2021, 08:45 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Hashtag Katie? - PentaxForums.com

For FB you'd have to either join one of the various Pentax Groups (Pentaxians is the largest) or if you've already joined, then just do a search for "Katie" within that group and you'll find the threads.
Perhaps that ugly attempt at trying to be interesting should be buried and forgotten in whatever "Pentaxian" group it originated, rather than being brought here.
07-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
How about Mk III, I've never heard the K-3 Mk III referred to as Katie?
Pronounced Markie?

Steve

07-09-2021, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Great images, excellent use of panning, and it shows off how well the K3iii does in low light.
Thanks mate.

Quick impressions:

This camera was the same as I got borrowed before (same seria number and it got my name as copyright so....) but I have upgraded to firmware update 1.02. Also I did not felt it the same. Maybe I was in SR panning mode when I should not and this did not helped, maybe my lens was on the slowest AF mode and that neither helped which could also be a possibility but yeah there was something different. I felt like the clinical precise AF machine I had in May was now not as clinical precise.

Yet is still very very capable, and during the night is quite hard to capture images of these bikes due to the fact that there isn't much light on track and those bikes themselves do not have proper light so for the AF it was quite tricky to focus and of course it was not giving me the chance to shoot 10 frames per second. The camera really was acting slow. Yet once i bumped ISO to 6400 and lowered shutter speed to 1/250sec and let the lens at F4 it captured something! In proper dark!

The next day I went to the same spot at daylight and it was an easy job for the camera to take pictures of those same bikes.

For example, again at night, at pitlane it wasn't hard to capture images. Because there is a lot of artificial light there and it helps the system to focus (I was shooting on center point in cross mode, in AF-C).

So hopefully this weekend I'll work on my mistakes from last weekend and will make it work smoother
07-09-2021, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
Thanks mate.

Quick impressions:

This camera was the same as I got borrowed before (same seria number and it got my name as copyright so....) but I have upgraded to firmware update 1.02. Also I did not felt it the same. Maybe I was in SR panning mode when I should not and this did not helped, maybe my lens was on the slowest AF mode and that neither helped which could also be a possibility but yeah there was something different. I felt like the clinical precise AF machine I had in May was now not as clinical precise.

Yet is still very very capable, and during the night is quite hard to capture images of these bikes due to the fact that there isn't much light on track and those bikes themselves do not have proper light so for the AF it was quite tricky to focus and of course it was not giving me the chance to shoot 10 frames per second. The camera really was acting slow. Yet once i bumped ISO to 6400 and lowered shutter speed to 1/250sec and let the lens at F4 it captured something! In proper dark!

The next day I went to the same spot at daylight and it was an easy job for the camera to take pictures of those same bikes.

For example, again at night, at pitlane it wasn't hard to capture images. Because there is a lot of artificial light there and it helps the system to focus (I was shooting on center point in cross mode, in AF-C).

So hopefully this weekend I'll work on my mistakes from last weekend and will make it work smoother
There’s a lot in that, which should be passed on to the Pentax team for consideration, which I assume you’ll at least talk about with the people who lent you the camera.

I also enjoyed those last photos. Your technique is very good. I thought at first glance that you’d missed focus with some of them, but closer inspection showed some parts of the bikes were in sharp focus, so it was the various motions that were blurring the other parts!
07-09-2021, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

For the record:

I am familiar with the "Katie" pet name for the K-3iii. It has been used before on these forums and is not rare elsewhere. I personally thought that something like "Kee" might be appropriate (think K33 in leetspeak).

Steve
07-09-2021, 05:24 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Perhaps that ugly attempt at trying to be interesting should be buried and forgotten in whatever "Pentaxian" group it originated, rather than being brought here.
For the record, I didn't "being it here". I answered a direct request, the end.
07-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For the record:

I am familiar with the "Katie" pet name for the K-3iii. It has been used before on these forums and is not rare elsewhere. I personally thought that something like "Kee" might be appropriate (think K33 in leetspeak).

Steve
I had seen it before, and personally, I kinda like the nickname.
07-10-2021, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
For the record, I didn't "being it here". I answered a direct request, the end.
You didn't set this thread's title either.
Anyway, we're not talking about something truly bad. It's just a nickname which has to be explained, over and over again
The Pentaxians group... is not exactly accepting; perhaps this is a kind of "inside language". We have no reason to use it here, though.
07-10-2021, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The Pentaxians group... is not exactly accepting;
And plenty in that group would say the exact same thing about PF. As someone who is active both here and in the FB group, I’m always baffled by people who have negative reactions about one or the other.
07-11-2021, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
And plenty in that group would say the exact same thing about PF. As someone who is active both here and in the FB group, I’m always baffled by people who have negative reactions about one or the other.
Hmm... IMO the complaints against this forum are typically linked to the inability to bash Pentax as much as one desires
But for me, this makes it a better place, a Pentaxian place.

The Pentaxians group... if one feels at home there, good for them, I'm not trying to impose my own views and disappointment on anyone.
There is, however, a tightly knitted "nucleus" (if that makes sense in English), the admins and some friends of theirs, and they're often not favorable to Pentax. Just don't disagree with them.