Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #1

No K-3 III USB Connectivity to Mac

Hi,
My first post here; I scanned for this problem, but didn't see it in the thread titles.
Has anyone else had a problem connecting to a Mac via USB?

In my case, I've tried three cables, including the one supplied with the K-3 III, and two USB sockets on my iMac (running Big Sur) and also two cables and one socket on a MacBook Pro running Catalina. In no case did either the Mac or the K-3 III show any sign that anything was connected. (I.e. just nothing.)

However, same cable and connecting the k-3 III to my wife's Windows 10 laptop worked fine.

Any one else had a problem? Any clues?

Thanks,
Pete

07-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Doesn't the K-3II use MTP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol)? If so, you'll need to download an app or driver to get it work (The wiki links lists some options).

In theory, MTP reduces the risk of data loss by having the Mac or PC talk to the camera (not the card) through a very limited set of commands needed to move media files. In practice, it feels like another added complication/restriction fo working with data on SD cards in a camera.

Last edited by photoptimist; 07-05-2021 at 11:03 AM.
07-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete R Quote
In no case did either the Mac or the K-3 III show any sign that anything was connected. (I.e. just nothing.)
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Your camera's manual (page 97) says that on a Mac, the "Photos" app should start automatically and if it does not, start it manually.

I hope this helps.

Steve
07-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check page 97 of the manual, there are two modes for the USB connection to a computer Make sure you have it set for what you want to do (download images or get to the built in camera memory)
For moving images, I just pop out the SD card from the camera, and plug it into the build-in card reader on the mac.

I just checked mine, and when connected by the USB cable, the camera does not appear on the desk top as a drive, but it is visible through Photos, for downloading.
Not sure if this would work with other software, Lightroom, etc.

The built-in card reader always works for me,

07-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll look into the MTP drivers . . . but a) in the Windows case, it just loaded an appropriate driver with no special action from me, and b) in the MacOs case, neither the Mac or the camera is showing any evidence of a connection (what I mean is, if the camera had an indication that it was in some transfer mode, or the computer indicated it couldn't run the device without a driver, I'd understand, but there's nothing.)
07-05-2021, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the other replies, re "Photos" app, too. I don't use Photos; I prefer Lightroom. Yes, I can (and do) use a card reader, but the USB connection should work too - and is the way to get to the Pentax software also. My K-3 connects to both these Macs via USB successfully and there are times when that's my preferred method (e.g. to the MacBook in the field). I had followed the page 97 process. If K-Three's camera is visible to Photos but not on the desktop, I guess I should try that next. (But surely it should be visible in Finder?)

Thanks again.

---------- Post added 07-05-21 at 03:20 PM ----------

Well, blow me down: it worked.

Thanks to all three of you for your advice, and apologies that I had not educated myself well enough (in the implications of MTP, I presume).

Unlike all the other cameras I use, several disks, and gadgets of other kinds, the K-3 III does communicate with Lightroom without appearing on the MacOs desktop or in Finder. It will take me a while to get my head round that.

However, I have loaded images into Lightroom and thereby into my Pictures folder; and I have installed the software from the camera. (As I had hoped, there is much more shooting information there than gets through to the EXIF data in Lightroom. Next task will be to find a way to conveniently access it . . . ).

Clearly my mistake, but I think I am somewhat justified given that every other machine I've connected to the Macs over the past ten years HAS appeared in Finder. I will recommend that the K-3 III manual mentions this, and/or that they add it to FAQs. No idea why the camera doesn't indicate it's connected.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Pete
07-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
My first post here; I scanned for this problem, but didn't see it in the thread titles.
Has anyone else had a problem connecting to a Mac via USB?

In my case, I've tried three cables, including the one supplied with the K-3 III, and two USB sockets on my iMac (running Big Sur) and also two cables and one socket on a MacBook Pro running Catalina. In no case did either the Mac or the K-3 III show any sign that anything was connected. (I.e. just nothing.)

However, same cable and connecting the k-3 III to my wife's Windows 10 laptop worked fine.

Any one else had a problem? Any clues?

Thanks,
Pete
Have you had other cameras work fine on your Mac? I have an iMac with the latest Big Sur and have no problems with the USB cable downloading directly from my KPs to Lightroom. I don't imagine that the K3-III should be any different.

Sorry, I replied too soon after reading the first couple of posts, glad it is working. Yes the Pentax software does give you a lot more of the EXIF, too bad it is so clunky to use. But check to make sure LR is importing all of the EXIF that it can. I It's had to find all of the places to check thing in LR because there are so many. I prefer LR Classic because it still lets me automatically rename the files on import, which I believe the LR Cloud version still does not.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 07-05-2021 at 03:38 PM.
07-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I agree its not working as I expected either, When I actually tried to do what you were doing, was surprised to not see it appear as a drive on the desktop. Only in Photos
My last new body was a K3, 7-years ago, this thing may have (mostly) the same name, but it's different beast, lots of new things and actions to get used to with it.
Liking the results I'm getting out of it though,
07-05-2021, 11:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks to Ramseybuckeye and K-Three for the further responses. A bit reassuring that you guys had similar expectations to me. I'll be looking through my Lightroom book for further clues.
07-08-2021, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks to Ramseybuckeye and K-Three for the further responses. A bit reassuring that you guys had similar expectations to me. I'll be looking through my Lightroom book for further clues.
Did you try using Apple's Image Capture app to see if the K-3III shows up? I have only ever really used Image Capture to download files to my archive from an SD card reader. Image Capture is made to see connected devices.
07-09-2021, 01:08 AM   #11

Original Poster
Rico, thanks for that.
I was previously unaware of the Image Capture app!
I tried it just now, and yes it does work.
I guess it will be a way to quickly transfer images at times when I don't want to get into editing or cataloguing them, so I may well be using it in future.
Thanks again.