Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2021, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
To be honest I find the review quite objective. It points the strengths of the camera.
I also found the review to be reasonably objective concerning the various aspects of the camera. It touched on the strengths and weaknesses, although I thought it should have emphasized the camera's excellent overall user experience. Notably, the reviewer used three different Pentax lenses, and seems to have shot subjects in varied settings.

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
If you want to have access to new technology now and in the future, of course mirrorless is the path. Because the major camera makers are putting all the money on that technology. DSLR's are not dead but the innovation in them is quite dead.
Perhaps I didn't understand your point, but I'm not sure that technology advancements are found only in mirrorless cameras. I guess it depends on how we define 'technology'.

I think innovation can be found in various areas. Ricoh Imaging put a lot of effort in several aspects of the K-3 Mark III, including the new pentaprism. Their development team fine-tuned the ergonomics of the new camera, to the point that its ergonomics are exceptional. They also developed key advances in the mirror control system, the shutter system, and the viewfinder optics.

On the other hand, some brands that are touted for their technology are inferior in ergonomics and the user experience. For example, the PCMag review states that "The X-T4's ergonomics are sublime..." I guess that's a possible perspective, but only if one avoids larger lenses. And Sony is not well-known for their great ergonomics, but folks seem to love Sony's 'tech'.

Each brand, ILC type, and model has strengths and weaknesses.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-17-2021 at 04:31 PM.
07-17-2021, 03:36 PM   #17
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some puzzling observations in the review - such as the innovation in DSLR's being "quite dead". I found that any objectivity in the review was cancelled out by the apparent determination of the reviewer to find some reason to undercut it. As the OP said "damned with faint praise". But such reviews may have the opposite effect of having anyone serious about a DSLR actually digging a bit deeper (and probably ending up here).
07-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Another review damning the K3 Mk3 with 'faint praise'.

Pentax K-3 Mark III - Review 2021 - PCMag Australia
I see the latest Australian Camera magazine has a story about the K-3 mark III.
I haven't been able to see the magazine in the flesh, so to speak, due to lockdown, so not sure if it's a full 'On Trial' review.
Their reviews are usually very thorough, so it will be interesting to eventually see what they think of it.

Cheers,
Terry
07-17-2021, 08:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

My perspective is that if a user would like an aps-c camera that can perform at the highest expert level, the Pentax K-3 III is a qualified candidate.

07-31-2021, 11:06 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
..., I am sticking with what (Pentax) I have because it fits my shooting style and I like the results, regardless of what "others" say.

Pretty much sums it up for me too.