Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2021, 01:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K3-3 Review by PC Mag Australia

Another review damning the K3 Mk3 with 'faint praise'.

Pentax K-3 Mark III - Review 2021 - PCMag Australia

07-17-2021, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another mirrorless convert telling me how I should switch away from DSLR's for mirrorless, other than that just a pedestrian review.
My damning with faint praise review of the review
07-17-2021, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bottom line: get it if you already shoot Pentax, otherwise buy a XT-4, or if you absolutely need to get an SLR, a 90D or D500.
07-17-2021, 06:05 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to the OP for posting, but I'm not even going to bother reading this one. I've given up on Pentax reviews and opinions these days, save for those from PF staff and valued fellow members who (a) have used the camera in anger, and (b) understand why - despite happily owning and using both DSLR and mirrorless cameras - I prefer the DSLR format. Those are opinions I can use, from a perspective we share. Even then, the conclusions I value the most are those I form myself, if I should ever buy the camera in question. Only I can precisely assess whether it's a good match for my needs and preferences...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-17-2021 at 10:24 AM.
07-17-2021, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
5ks
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing the link. Quite interesting: All 'pros' given in the summary lines are very much or at least somehow purposeful for me, but almost all 'cons' have very little or nothing to do with my current type of photography. Yet, I was not going to purchase K-3 Mk3 right away of even in the near future. But now there's no doubt, I will remember its existence every single time my good old K-3 seems to be missing something...
07-17-2021, 06:56 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess anyone can write a review but I likely wouldn't read a car review in a lawn mower magazine either.
07-17-2021, 08:47 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Bottom line: get it if you already shoot Pentax, otherwise buy a XT-4, or if you absolutely need to get an SLR, a 90D or D500.
Sounds like the reviewer either learned his reviewing skills from DPR or is angling for a job there.

07-17-2021, 09:07 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reviewer claims that "Dedicated Pentax users and SLR stalwarts should take a look, but photographers shopping for an APS-C system camera will be much better served by the Fujifilm X-T4."

Yet, if I were considering a new camera system, I'd probably do my homework. Even a quick search of online reviews and forum comments about the X-T4 would reveal numerous issues. Here are several that I found earlier when I was interested casually in the X-T4. These were not just one-off comments from users.
  • Too-small hand grip that can cause discomfort, especially with larger lenses
  • Disappointment with the build quality
  • Mushy shutter button
  • Problems with the battery grip connection
  • Autofocus issues
  • AF issues with certain wide-angle lenses
  • Mechanical build quality of some lenses
  • Firmware update introduced problems (lost images on SD card; camera freezing)
So, the PCMag reviewer gushes over the X-T4--his earlier review in mid-2020 rated it an outstanding 5 out of 5; "Outside of full-frame models, you won't find a better camera"--but the camera is not without several significant concerns. There's also the question of prices and weights of comparable systems. A versatile system based on the X-T4 can be pricier than a K-3 Mark III system, while for certain camera+lens pairings, an X-T4 will weigh more.

While mirrorless systems in general--and Fujifilm in particular--seem to be the current darlings of the 'review world', the old adage applies: Buyer (and reader) beware.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-17-2021 at 10:34 AM.
07-17-2021, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As BigMacCam mentions earlier here, I too have little interest in most outsiders' Pentax reviews except for those from Pentax Forums members (users) and staff.
As far as I am concerned, I am sticking with what (Pentax) I have because it fits my shooting style and I like the results, regardless of what "others" say.
07-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Consider the source. The review is on a site that primarily deals with computer stuff. PC Magazine, in its various international flavors, is famous for its vapid reviews of related tech. Their computer content is not so great either.

Steve
07-17-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

He might be catering to his audience, from his own biased perspective as a tech writer. It's a pc magazine after all..
07-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be honest I find the review quite objective. It points the strengths of the camera. As a new buyer, yes you have other choices on the DSLR market to consider, Canon or Nikon latest APS-C.
If you want to have access to new technology now and in the future, of course mirrorless is the path. Because the major camera makers are putting all the money on that technology. DSLR's are not dead but the innovation in them is quite dead.
As a Pentax user with some lenses, K33 is a go, no doubt for that.

When I had choose to go with Pentax I considered 2 factors: weather sealed and different from the CaNikon crowd.

Last edited by OvidiuRoSb; 07-17-2021 at 12:11 PM.
07-17-2021, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As a K3III owner I have little reason to read any of these reviews. This seams to be a bit of a common feeling based on other comments. It’s not my job to sell camera gear but in my opinion the K3III is a camera that stands on its own as a fantastic photography tool. Comparing it to a mirrorless camera is pointless it is unabashedly something different.

I expect that Ricoh will keep this model in the lineup while multiple iterations of other manufacturers cameras will come and go and I am fine with that.
07-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get really bored by how quickly a received wisdom accretes to any camera or system and how it is endlessly parroted - if people can't come up with something new to say, they are wasting everybody's time saying hat they say.
07-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
If you want to have access to new technology now and in the future, of course mirrorless is the path. Because the major camera makers are putting all the money on that technology. DSLR's are not dead but the innovation in them is quite dead.
All else equal there is less tech in a mirrorless than a DSLR. A mirrorless lack a feature; the optical viewfinder. All digital camera share the other techs......