Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2021, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Reading about this, I wonder if Pentax haven't done some big rewrite...

Actually, that's quite likely? Since the firmware is now Linux-based and so on?

07-23-2021, 06:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Wondering how hot it was out there...you were shooting Gulls so asssuming out doors? And if it was hot and the battery gets hot .. it may be a problem.

Also what is your card set up and what you record.... raw.. wondering if theress possibly a link to temp and processor speed.

Al
I'm not a "hot weather person", so as soon as the sun was high enough to feel it through my hat I called it a day. According to the EXIF of one of the pictures taken around the time of the event, camera temperature was 25C (77F)
I'm (almost) always .JPG only, onto a single SanDisk 64Mb Ultra, so I shouldn't have been stressing anything. Although I'm not unfamiliar with "post" software and use it as necessary, I do prefer to get the exposure right first time if I can, which is what I was ascertaining when the problem happened. As yet, no repetition of the problem since the firmware update to v1.10 … hope springs eternal
07-23-2021, 06:16 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using mine in mid ninety degree Fahrenheit temps and high humidity weather and nothing like the experiences that are described here. I did have an operator induced lockup just after I received my Mk III though and it has not happened since.

Edit: Just checking back for the last few days the highest body temp I can find is 36 degree C. when shooting continuous high with an outside air temp of 34 degrees C. with no problem.

Last edited by Larrymc; 07-23-2021 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Additional info
07-23-2021, 06:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I've been using mine in mid ninety degree Fahrenheit temps and high humidity weather and nothing like the experiences that are described here. I did have an operator induced lockup just after I received my Mk III though and it has not happened since.
If you could describe the sequence which induced your lockup I might be able to relate it to what I was doing … or it may help someone else.

07-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It happened back in April when I first got the camera. As best I can remember I was in the field and decided to change some of the smart function setting and the camera locked up. A quick removal and re-insert of the battery got me back up and shooting. I have since decided to fore go much of the smart function in favor of how I operated my K-3 Mk I. Hopefully they will improve upon the cryptological nature of smart function identities.
07-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It happened back in April when I first got the camera. As best I can remember I was in the field and decided to change some of the smart function setting and the camera locked up. A quick removal and re-insert of the battery got me back up and shooting. I have since decided to fore go much of the smart function in favor of how I operated my K-3 Mk I. Hopefully they will improve upon the cryptological nature of smart function identities.
The main place I really see anything "cryptological" around the smart function is on the top LCD, which is not really a critical spot to look when using the smart function. When up to the eye (its primary use case), it's easy to see which smart function is selected for the ones I'm likely to be changing up to my eye (drive mode, metering mode, auto focus mode, third e-dial, etc.). There are some (white balance for me) where there is no useful information in the viewfinder when rotating the smart function dial. Well, unless you remember what "1", "2", "3", etc. in the lower right means. However, if you pull the screen away from your eye, you can see the effect on the rear screen quite readily, and it's nice to be able to select a smaller subset of features (for WB, I just have auto, daylight, cloudy, and shade) attached to the dial. Perhaps down the road they will use the full bottom row of the OVF to display things when rotating the smart function dial for more features (auto focus mode shows quite a bit of info temporarily in the OVF when rotating the smart function dial). Even in its current state, there's a lot to recommend the smart function and taking some time to explore which of the smart functions make sense for you as something to be able to adjust easily through the OVF.
07-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
The main place I really see anything "cryptological" around the smart function is on the top LCD, which is not really a critical spot to look when using the smart function. When up to the eye (its primary use case), it's easy to see which smart function is selected for the ones I'm likely to be changing up to my eye (drive mode, metering mode, auto focus mode, third e-dial, etc.). There are some (white balance for me) where there is no useful information in the viewfinder when rotating the smart function dial. Well, unless you remember what "1", "2", "3", etc. in the lower right means. However, if you pull the screen away from your eye, you can see the effect on the rear screen quite readily, and it's nice to be able to select a smaller subset of features (for WB, I just have auto, daylight, cloudy, and shade) attached to the dial. Perhaps down the road they will use the full bottom row of the OVF to display things when rotating the smart function dial for more features (auto focus mode shows quite a bit of info temporarily in the OVF when rotating the smart function dial). Even in its current state, there's a lot to recommend the smart function and taking some time to explore which of the smart functions make sense for you as something to be able to adjust easily through the OVF.
What is cryptological to me is if you have the max amount of Smart Functions on the screen and you switch to a different SF what you get in the viewfinder is sFn/ 0 or some other sFN/ like 1 or two. My problem is trying to remember between different Smart Function what the number represents. Maybe I shouldn't have as many Smart Functions and limit them to a couple of Smart Functions per User Mode. As for white balance I just shoot in MultiAuto White balance in DNG and I have no problems. I do have the Smart Function Dial setup for ISO control on every mode except TAV.

07-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is cryptological to me is if you have the max amount of Smart Functions on the screen and you switch to a different SF what you get in the viewfinder is sFn/ 0 or some other sFN/ like 1 or two. My problem is trying to remember between different Smart Function what the number represents.
This is what I was saying: For most of the smart functions, there is another indicator in the OVF that you can rely on rather than the number after "sFN/". For instance, in my sports/action mode, one of my smart functions is drive mode with single shot, high, medium, and low as options. I don't care what digit is down in the lower right corner, as rotating the smart function dial gives me another indication of what I have gotten into. Same for metering mode and AF mode (bottom row of the OVF is fully taken over to display temporarily to show settings). I think some of the smart functions are perhaps less useful if there are lots of options and no other display in the OVF other than the number after the "sFN/", but with strategic selection, that number is irrelevant.
07-25-2021, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Last night I turned the camera on and all that powered up was the orange SD card status light. Stayed solid. No rear display, no top display. Nothing but the SD card light. Turning the camera off did nothing. Pulled the battery (Factory Pentax battery with full charge).
I'm on Firmware 1.10. After pulling the battery, the camera worked fine.
This happened to me when I put the SD card in with the new firmware file!
I ended up doing a reformat (not a quick format) on the SD card and tried again and got the firmware updated.
Within an hour I tried a few shots and had something similar as described by you and the thread starter.
Had to take the battery out.
I could not get it to repeat so it can't report the issue.
08-12-2021, 07:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Not actually the same issue but maybe in the same area: Not lately but when I first started using the K-3 iii when I would try to review an image and error displayed saying the file couldn't be read, (or something like that). I turned the camera off and then on and it read the file. I assumed it was a Sandisc UH-II 32 fault. This happened 2 or 3 times.
I just replaced the UH-II 32 with a Kingston UH-II 64. I had the exact problem, tried to review image.. nada..not at first, as before but first time I used the card. I formatted it in camera. Camera OFF?ON and it was fine. So far just once. Just a quirk?

Last edited by mysterick; 08-12-2021 at 07:32 AM. Reason: add