Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2021, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

It is still a rolling shutter though, right? I would think any subject which needs burst mode would be better captured with a mechanical shutter to avoid weird rolling shutter effects.

07-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It is still a rolling shutter though, right? I would think any subject which needs burst mode would be better captured with a mechanical shutter to avoid weird rolling shutter effects.

I Believe so. it doesn't mention EFSC (Electronic First Shutter Curtain) anywhere. So use is for slow shutter speeds with use of LV (liveview) to eliminate shuttershock.
07-21-2021, 08:00 PM   #63
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I Believe so. it doesn't mention EFSC (Electronic First Shutter Curtain) anywhere. So use is for slow shutter speeds with use of LV (liveview) to eliminate shuttershock.
I wonder whether EFCS is going out of favor now. I read a fairly long and detailed article in a Japanese camera magazine on the strengths and weaknesses of electronic, mechanical and EFCS. I hadn't thought that much about it before, but the take-away was pretty clear, mechanical and electronic both have their strengths. EFCS has some nasty effects on exposure across the frame and in particular in the rendering of bokeh that just makes it more trouble that it's worth.
07-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Yeah, there is a few different views about it. I suppose it all comes down to the intended use and application. It works for what it was originally designed for, helping the issues with the rolling shutter and the weird effects you get like bent objects, banding down the image in artificial light and strangely blurred people/objects moving ect ect. If you look long enough at the internet, you can see different examples of where it works and where it fails.

I have only used ES on my K-1 in LV and with static objects at slower speeds, but, to tell the truth, it really didn't seem to have any effect on my images, either ES with LV or MS with OVF, images were perfect. I may set my K-3iii to use it in LV, but may not.

I think . In my opinion, they updated the firmware and gave ES to stop all the questions about "Why???? No ES" . so now it has it.

07-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #65
JPT
Pentaxian

I think the case for ES is pretty clear. If you want to eliminate shutter shock, shoot quietly, use 1/16,000 second shutter speeds, it is clearly useful. I think it’s more than just responding to complaints.

Also, I wonder if Ricoh asked certain reviewers to wait for this update before finalizing their review.
07-21-2021, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 0x4243 Quote
An other strange thing I came across: The continuous AF seems not to work at all in live view (with the 18-135 lens at least).
There's no AF-C in Live View/video unless you're using a lens with the PLM focus system. That's the DA55-300, and the upcoming DA*16-50.
07-22-2021, 04:48 AM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AFC seems to be improved, at least that's how it seemed from a brief test on passing planes today.

From the sunshine to the ice
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

And after sunset at ISO 6400

Fingal Beach After Dark
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

I also have several shots of a small Cessna flying at almost 14,000 feet directly overhead doing aerial photography. The camera had no problem locking on it.

07-22-2021, 04:52 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hopefully this means that when I'm photographing birds at close quarters I won't scare the bird off when I take my first shot, so I'll give it a try.
07-22-2021, 05:03 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I should try the common swifts that fly over our city house again to see if the hit rate changed somewhat. They will be leaving soon to return south, and I don't know I'll have time to catch them before that. Probably not, in which case I'll just be happy what I can get out of the camera when I need it. The improvement compared the K-3 II being so vast, I'll probably not notice any subtle firmware improvement much anyway.
07-22-2021, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #70

OK Totally noob question here from someone with their first higher end camera and never having dealt with Firmware updates. Should I install all 3 since I missed the first 2 or does the 3rd update have all updates in it? Thanks in advance.
07-22-2021, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcshellyg Quote
OK Totally noob question here from someone with their first higher end camera and never having dealt with Firmware updates. Should I install all 3 since I missed the first 2 or does the 3rd update have all updates in it? Thanks in advance.
The latest update includes all the others.

07-22-2021, 07:15 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcshellyg Quote
Yes, the firmware is essentially the "operating system" of the camera and the version that is in your camera already is just replaced entirely with the latest version rather than it surgically only updating a bit of code. (Although the software itself may have only gotten a small change since the previous version.)
07-22-2021, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
There's no AF-C in Live View/video unless you're using a lens with the PLM focus system. That's the DA55-300, and the upcoming DA*16-50.
Ooops. Indeed. OMG. Never noticed this. I use LiveView a lot on my K-1 but only for macro shots with static subjects and manual focus - and electronic shutter
07-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I wish Ricoh would publish a one page addendum to the user manual.
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
It seems Ricoh have responded to your request very efficiently - one page addendum
Yep...Ricoh/Pentax usually includes these with the firmware updates. Very helpful, they are...

Steve
07-22-2021, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
If distortion can be produced by moving objects and a still sensor,
What is produced by a moving sensor caused by SR and a still object?
With SR, the sensor is actually stationary, it is the camera that is moving.

Steve