Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2021, 08:18 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess I should stop holding my breath waiting for Pentax (Ricoh) to create a one page addendum to the instruction manual for a new feature added through a patch!

Besides, blue skin is not very becoming!

07-31-2021, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I guess I should stop holding my breath waiting for Pentax (Ricoh) to create a one page addendum to the instruction manual for a new feature added through a patch!

Besides, blue skin is not very becoming!
I do agree with you with not holding my breath. But you might find some nice video or articles about how and why and what is behind updates if it is ‘big’ enough to be risen up from that list.

In fairness we do have some information about things going on.

What I’m personally more interested of is the information of what they are about to release and/or develop in near future
07-31-2021, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not our job!

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I do agree with you with not holding my breath. But you might find some nice video or articles about how and why and what is behind updates if it is ‘big’ enough to be risen up from that list.

In fairness we do have some information about things going on.

What I’m personally more interested of is the information of what they are about to release and/or develop in near future
No, not in fairness. We paid $2000+ for these cameras. This is not basic or advanced photographic technique that we should know before we even open the box. This is NEW technology that did not exist a month ago. Similar, but different tech operationally existed in two other cameras, making their instructions irrelevant in this instance. Why should we waste our time doing Ricoh's tech writers jobs.

In our poking, probing, and testing, we may miss or misinterpret this feature's parameters!
07-31-2021, 10:45 PM   #109
Pentaxian

No, not in fairness. We paid $2000+ for these cameras. This is not basic or advanced photographic technique that we should know before we even open the box. This is NEW technology that did not exist a month ago. Similar, but different tech operationally existed in two other cameras, making their instructions irrelevant in this instance. Why should we waste our time doing Ricoh's tech writers jobs.

In our poking, probing, and testing, we may miss or misinterpret this feature's parameters!
Well in fairness this camera does cost 2000€, and it is aimed for advanced or professional photographers. So I think that it is fair to let Ricoh to expect that we will do our ‘homework’ in order to make it work. I do find it helpful that they do offer those videos for us to see main functions and how it works.

They also do offer a very clear list of updates and what is fixed/added in it.

For me it is interesting to try out the camera and it’s functions in real life. There are still/always people who can’t open even simple things properly even if there is clear sign to say do it like this or even do not use it like this. Let alone more complicated things like DSLR.

08-01-2021, 04:01 AM   #110
Unregistered User

May I ask what feature you are refering to? The electronic shutter?
08-01-2021, 07:40 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
May I ask what feature you are refering to? The electronic shutter?
Yes..

---------- Post added 08-01-21 at 08:03 AM ----------

Well in fairness this camera does cost 2000€, and it is aimed for advanced or professional photographers. So I think that it is fair to let Ricoh to expect that we will do our ‘homework’ in order to make it work. I do find it helpful that they do offer those videos for us to see main functions and how it works.

They also do offer a very clear list of updates and what is fixed/added in it.

For me it is interesting to try out the camera and it’s functions in real life. There are still/always people who can’t open even simple things properly even if there is clear sign to say do it like this or even do not use it like this. Let alone more complicated things like DSLR.
To each his own I guess.

I’ll have very little free time until November. Then I will get to play and experiment with the ES. If I need it before then, we’ll that is just tough luck. I will be using my camera for my son’s wedding, a short trip, and two family get-togethers.

I do enjoy such puzzles as figuring out this ES or programming one at the machine code level. But now is not the time.
08-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #112
Unregistered User

Yes..

To each his own I guess.

I’ll have very little free time until November. Then I will get to play and experiment with the ES. If I need it before then, we’ll that is just tough luck. I will be using my camera for my son’s wedding, a short trip, and two family get-togethers.

I do enjoy such puzzles as figuring out this ES or programming one at the machine code level. But now is not the time.
How to turn it on and off is described in the added page to the manual. How it works, just google Electronic shutter.

08-01-2021, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

Yes..

To each his own I guess.

In that case I’d just stick with mechanical shutter. It is fast, reliable and it is not that loud either just leave experiments when you have time, and enjoy new stuff then. Really it is not ’that’ much better. Silent, yes, but useful only in LVmode, as well as not that quick at there actually. Ofcourse if everything need to ve absolutelly silent, then it is different.

But as Tjompe pointed out. Info is already at there.

I’m not going to argue aboutthis and I hope that you will not either, please.

EDIT:I did take several shots of my 3 year old running around and goofying around. DA*16-50SDM did catch her very well. AF-C, and A-21 or AUTO mode on and you can catch even eyes very well with this new 1.10 FW. Even when I thought that that was off.

My recommendation for you for the weddings

Take care
08-01-2021, 05:25 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
How to turn it on and off is described in the added page to the manual. How it works, just google Electronic shutter.
I can do that I get someone else's best estimation or worse a haphazard guess!

Very simply Ricoh dropped the ball. We should not defend them.

It is only a minor matter. I'll figure out all the parameters, limitations, and problems and write my own notes. When I have half a day to plan a test, execute it, double check the results, then write it up.

I have not seen anybody's test plan and results. Therefore it is guesswork. Most of it has been well reasoned guesswork. Intelligence, reasoning, and thought went behind those guesses. I appreciate that.

But still no proof of all boundary conditions being checked. I don't want to rely on something new until I know that it will depend on what I need.
11-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not to beat a dead horse, but I just spent a some very frustrating time trying to understand why a flash would not fire on my K3III, and wondering about warrantee repair.
The Flash mode was not operable, only giving me a cryptic "This function not available in the current mode", no clue that the mode it was referring to was the shutter mode.
One would think if it's possible to activate the electronic shutter in a firmware update, then it should also be possible to give a little more information in this flash mode display, There is certainly screen space for it.
11-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the only camera which allows flash with electronic shutter is the Sony A1.
11-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I think the only camera which allows flash with electronic shutter is the Sony A1.
Without a mechanical shutter like the Z9 it would be difficult then. I assume the future is without mechanicl shutter and electronic shutter and flash usage.
11-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
Without a mechanical shutter like the Z9 it would be difficult then. I assume the future is without mechanicl shutter and electronic shutter and flash usage.
It is R3,A1,and Z9 where you can get ES with flash, onething common to these cameras is that they have stacked sensor, which will give fast readout speed. With out this, ES is too slow. Like in K-3III or any camera with more ’traditional’ sensor.
11-27-2021, 07:22 AM   #119

It is R3,A1,and Z9 where you can get ES with flash, onething common to these cameras is that they have stacked sensor, which will give fast readout speed. With out this, ES is too slow. Like in K-3III or any camera with more ’traditional’ sensor.
And that they cost some 6000+€ I guess.
11-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
And that they cost some 6000+€ I guess.
Yes, that too.

honestly, if you are using strobes, why not just use mechanical shutter anyway?