Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2021, 02:02 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I have no experience with electronic shutter. Can anyone explain how this works? Is it either electronic or mechanic shutter throughout the entire range of shutter speeds? If so, what would be the reasons to keep the mechanic shutter? Or does the electronic shutter only engage for speeds faster than 1/8000s? The documentation isn't very clear.

I know I could test myself (is it easy to deduce from the camera sound?), but I won't have the time to do the upgrade anytime soon, and I'm curious...
Electronic shutters don’t do well with motion. I that is what I have read, I have not tried it on any shots with moving subjects. But I’ve used it on many landscapes.

07-20-2021, 02:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So perhaps dpreview will update their studio scene? Hopefully this solves the blurry image issues.
07-20-2021, 02:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
So perhaps dpreview will update their studio scene? Hopefully this solves the blurry image issues.
Unless they'd hit the camera with a hammer during the actual exposure, purely by accident.
07-20-2021, 02:30 AM   #19
Unregistered User

Unfortunately the issue with 2s timer and horizon correction is still there.

07-20-2021, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I have no experience with electronic shutter. Can anyone explain how this works? Is it either electronic or mechanic shutter throughout the entire range of shutter speeds? If so, what would be the reasons to keep the mechanic shutter? Or does the electronic shutter only engage for speeds faster than 1/8000s? The documentation isn't very clear.

I know I could test myself (is it easy to deduce from the camera sound?), but I won't have the time to do the upgrade anytime soon, and I'm curious...
The selection is either Electronic Shutter or Mechanical Shutter, there's no overlap.
Electronic shutters work by reading the pixels individually during the exposure, so there's a noticeable delay (fractions of a second, but noticeable) between the start of the exposure and the end of the exposure, even though each pixel is only exposed for the chosen time, hence the weird smearing effect you see on a lot of aeroplane propellors in recent videos.
With a mechanical shutter, all the pixels are exposed at the same instant, then the reading is performed subsequently, so, as in the previous example, aeroplane propellors are either depicted as individual clearly defined blades or as a blurred disc, depending on the speed of rotation and the shutter speed.
It's mostly a case of "nothing to worry about" unless you have a specific reason to want a very high shutter speed. One example Pentax quotes (somewhere) is the use of wide-aperture lenses in bright light to emphasise image separation (minimal depth of field) … a function many of us have used ND filters for in the past
When engaged in LiveView, the Electronic Shutter makes the camera virtually silent (just the sound of the aperture in auto exposure) and eliminates the risk of blur induced by mirror or shutter activation, but see comments regarding Horizon Correction and 2sec Timer above.

Last edited by kypfer; 07-20-2021 at 03:14 AM. Reason: afterthought
07-20-2021, 02:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Electronic shutters don’t do well with motion. I that is what I have read, I have not tried it on any shots with moving subjects. But I’ve used it on many landscapes.
So I understand it would be a setting that needs to be changed depending on the situation, and not a setting to engage once for all.
07-20-2021, 02:33 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Have you tested?

07-20-2021, 02:53 AM   #23
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Have you tested?
Yes, of course.
07-20-2021, 03:05 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Someone wrote in reply at my post that Pentax or Ricoh is looking at this forum to understand the issues so we could not mess up with false issues etc. I wanna be optimistic: let say that maybe they need more time to fix the "2s timer and horizon correction" problem ...

Danilo
07-20-2021, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

So I understand it would be a setting that needs to be changed depending on the situation, and not a setting to engage once for all.
I think that's a valid evaluation
As with so many features on the recent Pentax cameras, as much functionality as reasonably possible (at the price point) has been made available for those of us who'd like to use it.
Many features won't be used by many photographers, but the more options we've got the better chances we've got of making really good pictures in our chosen field(s) of endeavour
07-20-2021, 03:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
One example Pentax quotes (somewhere) is the use of wide-aperture lenses in bright light to emphasise image separation (minimal depth of field) … a function many of us have used ND filters for in the past
That would be my use case indeed. Esp with my K50/1.2 I often bump into the 1/8000s limit.

07-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I think one of the best uses for myself is in Live View.
If in LV the mirror is already up so elec. shutter will just go ahead and take the photo without cycling the mirror.
07-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #28
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice to see ES is an option regardless of using live view or the optical viewfinder and not just limited to live view mode.
07-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #29
Pentaxian

It didn't already have an electronic shutter? That's pretty weird. (I mean, obviously it did for pixel shift.)
07-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, this is a feature and not a big fix. Why was this not implemented at release?

Any Pentax documentation of advantages and disadvantages, uses and avoidances? I read the one page Pentax PDF of how to invoke it.

Any Pentax Forums documentation of advantages and disadvantages, uses and avoidances? I read the KP review and owners manual.

Thanks