Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
For those curious about the sounds. Here ya go...
https://youtu.be/aJNDG6OuabU
Oh, my! The plot thickens!!! Thanks! What happens when coupled with mirror up?

Steve

07-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Oh, my! The plot thickens!!! Thanks! What happens when coupled with mirror up?
Steve
Haha!
When you're in LiveView the mirror is up
The same functionality is available on the KP … totally silent "stealth mode", 'cept for the sound of the aperture. However the KP will do it at 1/24000 of a second, half a stop quicker … probably related to the maximum speed of the mechanical shutter.
07-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yes, the firmware is essentially the "operating system" of the camera and the version that is in your camera already is just replaced entirely with the latest version rather than it surgically only updating a bit of code. (Although the software itself may have only gotten a small change since the previous version.)
Thanks very much for the explanation! Thanks as well to slartibartfast01
07-22-2021, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #79
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote

I'll never sleep again until I get the answers.
Lol! that was great for a good quick laugh!

07-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The AFC seems to be improved, at least that's how it seemed from a brief test on passing planes today.
That's interesting. In what ways does the AF seem better?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-22-2021 at 12:32 PM.
07-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote

- Craig

For me, it "locks-on" more reliably then stays with the subject more successfully than earlier releases, but it does rely on having the subject in the middle of the viewfinder for the initial "lock".
This may require several tries to convince the camera what the subject is, especially if it's small in the viewfinder and bouncing around in the breeze against a cluttered background. Things may be even better with a wider-aperture lens than the f/6.3 of my Sigma 150-500mm, but availability and budget are restricting my options at the moment
These findings based simply on a couple of hundred exposures on a cliff-top yesterday morning, chasing gulls and porpoises … was otherwise busy today, but hoping to get out tomorrow morning before the next storm rolls in
07-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
For me, it "locks-on" more reliably then stays with the subject more successfully than earlier releases, but it does rely on having the subject in the middle of the viewfinder for the initial "lock".This may require several tries to convince the camera what the subject is, especially if it's small in the viewfinder and bouncing around in the breeze against a cluttered background.
Thanks for that. Looking forward to hearing from others as they try the camera with the new firmware.

TBH, I'm hesitant to update my camera's FW. With a previous camera (K-5 II, IIRC), a FW update caused a shift in my AF Fine Adjustments, so I had to re calibrate my lenses. I recall that a couple of other folks mentioned a similar occurrence. On the other hand, I loaded the first update on my K-3 Mark III without issue.

- Craig

07-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Thanks for that. Looking forward to hearing from others as they try the camera with the new firmware.

TBH, I'm hesitant to update my camera's FW. With a previous camera (K-5 II, IIRC), a FW update caused a shift in my AF Fine Adjustments, so I had to re calibrate my lenses. I recall that a couple of other folks mentioned a similar occurrence. On the other hand, I loaded the first update on my K-3 Mark III without issue.

- Craig
I've not had problems with lens calibration (I don't think) but it's not a concept I'd considered.
I've updated the firmware in my K-70 and KP as well as my K-3iii in recent days, I'll take time during the upcoming bad weather to double-check the Fine AF Adjustments!
I'm often a believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra, but in these circumstances, where the promised improvements might directly improve my picture-taking, I was straight in there updating the K-3iii
FWIW, my own tests recently show it's quite practical to roll-back a firmware update, simply by re-loading the earlier firmware. This of course assumes you've got the previous file to work with
07-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #84
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was able to half depress the shutter release with the centre point on the flight deck of the plane, then reframe while watching the AF point track the flight deck. This worked prvoided that I didn't exceed the AF area, which I have currently restricted but will try again expanded now that the firmware has been updated. The post on Facebook indicated that the AFC had been updated, although the only stated functional change was the electronic shutter and I think the addition of the HDDA*16-50?
07-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #85
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just completed the firmware update on the first try

and if I can do it so can you
07-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was able to half depress the shutter release with the centre point on the flight deck of the plane, then reframe while watching the AF point track the flight deck. This worked prvoided that I didn't exceed the AF area, which I have currently restricted but will try again expanded now that the firmware has been updated. The post on Facebook indicated that the AFC had been updated, although the only stated functional change was the electronic shutter and I think the addition of the HDDA*16-50?
@RobG, thanks for your insight. Do you recall which AF active area you were using? Auto Area? Expanded?

I noted the comment on Facebook -- The English language translation produces a rather cryptic description.

- Craig
07-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #87
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

@RobG, thanks for your insight. Do you recall which AF active area you were using? Auto Area? Expanded?
Zone select on the centre group of sensors, so a long way from expanded area. I'd like to try that today but the weather isn't great - we have a Scottish mist at the moment.

QuoteQuote:
I noted the comment on Facebook -- The English language translation produces a rather cryptic description.
Most automatic translations do. Sadly, Japanese doesn't translate well, though it ought to with a well defined grammar and very strict set of phonemes. Multiple meanings for the same kanji doesn't help though, meaning that translation is often contextual. I should have a look at the original Japanese.
07-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zone select on the centre group of sensors, so a long way from expanded area. I'd like to try that today but the weather isn't great - we have a Scottish mist at the moment.
Thanks.

(OT: Re Canberra weather -- When flying back home from Canberra after a week of business, I always flew to SYD the evening before, to avoid any early-morning fog delays at CBR. A couple of my colleagues did get delayed, and missed their flight to Vancouver.)

Multiple meanings for the same kanji doesn't help though, meaning that translation is often contextual. I should have a look at the original Japanese.
It's possible that the original Facebook poster didn't provide much detail.

- Craig
07-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #89
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

(OT: Re Canberra weather -- When flying back home from Canberra after a week of business, I always flew to SYD the evening before, to avoid any early-morning fog delays at CBR. A couple of my colleagues did get delayed, and missed their flight to Vancouver.)
True; at certain times of the year we do have morning fog, but it generally only impacts incoming flights because they have enough aircraft on the ground for early morning flights. Fog never stops aircraft from leaving. Luckily today it's just misty rain, which doesn't prevent landings. Runway 35 seems to be set up for nothing higher than Cat I ILS approaches, which surprises me.

QuoteQuote:
It's possible that the original Facebook poster didn't provide much detail.
True, but I did read that they were interested in feedback on whether AFC had improved.
07-22-2021, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

True, but I did read that they were interested in feedback on whether AFC had improved.
The problem with relying on a bunch of mostly amateur end-users for feedback like this is that it is difficult to make direct comparisons when any improvement is only incremental.
Very few "test" scenarios will be repeatable and even fewer end-users will have a second non-updated camera body to make the comparison, so any results are likely to be mostly subjective opinion.