Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2021, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I did a thing... Let's call it a test.
Previous to upgrading to 1.10 I tried to focus on my budgie in her cage using both full auto AF.C and zone AF.C with subject recognition on. Lens was the Sigma 17-70 F/2.8-4 DC Macro HSM at close to minimal focus distance to the cage bars. On version. 1.02, it would focus on the bars no matter how I composed and what mode I used. On 1.10, it would catch the bars from time to time, but you could tell it was trying to focus through them to the budgie. As long as I shot between the bars and the budgie's face was clear between the bars, it actually did focus on her and most times it did focus on either her head (beak, top of the head) or her eye. I did have to focus a few times to get the AF point to shoot between the bars (3-4 times before it would shoot through the bars) so something has changed with algorithm. At least from how the system worked before 1.10. Keep in mind that this wasn't an in the field multiple scenario test. But back to back between firmwares it is a noticeable change. I also had to re-do lens focus fine adjustment on a couple of my lenses so far.

07-23-2021, 06:53 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I did a thing... Let's call it a test.
Previous to upgrading to 1.10 I tried to focus on my budgie in her cage using both full auto AF.C and zone AF.C with subject recognition on. Lens was the Sigma 17-70 F/2.8-4 DC Macro HSM at close to minimal focus distance to the cage bars. On version. 1.02, it would focus on the bars no matter how I composed and what mode I used. On 1.10, it would catch the bars from time to time, but you could tell it was trying to focus through them to the budgie. As long as I shot between the bars and the budgie's face was clear between the bars, it actually did focus on her and most times it did focus on either her head (beak, top of the head) or her eye. I did have to focus a few times to get the AF point to shoot between the bars (3-4 times before it would shoot through the bars) so something has changed with algorithm. At least from how the system worked before 1.10. Keep in mind that this wasn't an in the field multiple scenario test. But back to back between firmwares it is a noticeable change. I also had to re-do lens focus fine adjustment on a couple of my lenses so far.
Just out of curiosity, which of your lenses did you have to re-do the lens fine adjustments on?
07-23-2021, 07:00 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larrymc Quote
just out of curiosity, which of your lenses did you have to re-do the lens fine adjustments on?
55-300 plm, 18-135, da 50 1.8
07-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

55-300 plm, 18-135, da 50 1.8
Thanks, Since I'm a retired Pentaxian, I might just fine tune all of my lenses again. After all, its not like I don't have time to do it.

07-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh such fun!

I have 17 AF lenses!

Much AF fine tuning to do.
07-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also had to re-do lens focus fine adjustment on a couple of my lenses so far.
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I might just fine tune all of my lenses again.
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I have 17 AF lenses!
I'm sitting on the fence about updating the firmware on my K-3 III.

I haven't experienced any problems or glitches yet with my camera in terms of operation or focusing. While the electronic shutter is enticing, I don't look forward to recalibrating the AF Fine Adjustment for my 11 AF lenses. I didn't observe any issues with AF after updating to FW 1.01, but I believe that version didn't touch autofocus or tracking.

I think I'll stand fast for now and wait to hear more reports. Thanks to all who post on their experiences.

- Craig
07-23-2021, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

I did update and I did go shooting with our daughter and our friends daughter looking bunnies in a cage. I did(W when there was a gap between cage bars) catch my friend daughter and it focused on eye even. It was harder to catch those rabbits. Actually than human. But focus is much better now and I think it will improve even further

07-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #98
Pentaxian

I notice on the KP if you turn on electronic shutter than shake reduction is disabled (in both PDAF & CDAF). So if you are using it for increased stability, you are losing SR at the same time which may turn out worse. Is that also the case on the K-3 iii?
07-25-2021, 12:55 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I notice on the KP if you turn on electronic shutter than shake reduction is disabled (in both PDAF & CDAF). So if you are using it for increased stability, you are losing SR at the same time which may turn out worse. Is that also the case on the K-3 iii?
SR seems to be working with ES when I’m shooting with OVF and LV. Bad thing aboutOVF and ES is that you are shooting ‘blind’ when you capture things with burst. But that works too, not sure if I’ll be using it that way thou but it is cool to take a burst when you are using OVF and you just noticed that you just took a bunch of photos while holding shutter button down…
07-25-2021, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #100
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The problem with relying on a bunch of mostly amateur end-users for feedback like this is that it is difficult to make direct comparisons when any improvement is only incremental.
Very few "test" scenarios will be repeatable and even fewer end-users will have a second non-updated camera body to make the comparison, so any results are likely to be mostly subjective opinion.
I realise that it's not scientific. On the other hand, having lots of pissed off users because their very expensive camera isn't focussing to their satisfaction isn't great either. If people are happier with the result of the update on the whole, something has to have improved.
07-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
SR seems to be working with ES when I’m shooting with OVF and LV. Bad thing aboutOVF and ES is that you are shooting ‘blind’ when you capture things with burst. But that works too, not sure if I’ll be using it that way thou but it is cool to take a burst when you are using OVF and you just noticed that you just took a bunch of photos while holding shutter button down…
Ok now I understand better what happens when using ES and not in live view.
It can be beneficial in burst shooting?
What is the upside to leaving ES on all the time? or downside?

Sorry for the novice question. I well understand this ES is perfect for Live View but don't know if it ever should be used when not in LV...
07-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #102
sbc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I'm sitting on the fence about updating the firmware on my K-3 III.

I haven't experienced any problems or glitches yet with my camera in terms of operation or focusing. While the electronic shutter is enticing, I don't look forward to recalibrating the AF Fine Adjustment for my 11 AF lenses. I didn't observe any issues with AF after updating to FW 1.01, but I believe that version didn't touch autofocus or tracking.

I think I'll stand fast for now and wait to hear more reports. Thanks to all who post on their experiences.

- Craig
Ver 1.10 did help me with slot 2.

Slot 2 and SD card compatibility - PentaxForums.com
07-27-2021, 10:52 PM - 3 Likes   #103

A downside of electronic shutter is when you have fast movement during the shot:
1/2000s, f/8, ISO: 8000, K-3iii, Sigma 500mm EX DG.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
07-28-2021, 02:37 AM   #104
Pentaxian

That bird is hilarious!
07-28-2021, 05:36 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
Ok now I understand better what happens when using ES and not in live view.
It can be beneficial in burst shooting?
What is the upside to leaving ES on all the time? or downside?

Sorry for the novice question. I well understand this ES is perfect for Live View but don't know if it ever should be used when not in LV...
It is beneficial, but also in panning or any movement like that might cause distortion, like in that picture of a bird above. Same rules apply in any ES shooting. But it can be very beneficial in many other situations where movement is little or none.