Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2021, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

A "!" sign in the viewfinder, you say. Lucky for noticing (and a nice tip)
I was commenting recently on one of Kobie's videos how it took me a while to notice the "Setup" icon in the Control Panel screen (that was with the K-1, but the K-3iii has it too). Apparently, you can customize that screen by pressing the Exposure Compensation button while on it.
You just have to see that icon, or read the manual. I think I had the camera for a year when I saw it.

08-05-2021, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I was commenting recently on one of Kobie's videos how it took me a while to notice the "Setup" icon in the Control Panel screen (that was with the K-1, but the K-3iii has it too). Apparently, you can customize that screen by pressing the Exposure Compensation button while on it.
You just have to see that icon, or read the manual. I think I had the camera for a year when I saw it.
Haha!
Yes, it was a while 'till I noticed that feature on my K-70 … then immediately went to see if my K-5 had it, it doesn't!

I've found it very useful.

Now I have the Control Panel on my K-70, KP and K-3iii all set up the same, can make switching between bodies so much easier

Point to remember … each individual User Mode retains it's own Control Panel settings, on the K-3iii at least (haven't checked the others), so there's a chance of confusion there if you don't realise it
I use User Modes extensively, one for 'birding' with my big zoom, another for 'bug-hunting' with my 70-300mm, yet another for get down and dirty macro in the undergrowth with a manual lens, etc. Just saves having to remember to change settings to cope with the changes in conditions whilst trying to keep an eye on a potential subject. There's always the opportunity to fine tune things for individual circumstances, but I find having a good generic starting point to be very helpful now I've got used to the concept. If only the K-3iii displayed allocated User Mode names, instead of "User1 … User2 etc.", like the K-70 and KP do … maybe one day

Last edited by kypfer; 08-05-2021 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo
08-14-2021, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If only the K-3iii displayed allocated User Mode names, instead of "User1 … User2 etc.", like the K-70 and KP do … maybe one day
I've started a new thread to highlight a work-around to display the descriptive names of the User Modes. I thought it might be better described in a separate thread and cross-referenced here.

How to display the descriptive USER MODE names -- a work-around - PentaxForums.com

- Craig
08-17-2021, 06:10 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
When I'm charging the battery with the USB cord, if I power the camera up I see a flashing "!" in the top LCD panel.
I hope I'm not messing something up.

08-17-2021, 06:42 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
When I'm charging the battery with the USB cord, if I power the camera up I see a flashing "!" in the top LCD panel.
I hope I'm not messing something up.
I'm not a fan of using the USB cord charging method. Get a spare battery and a charger. Some say use only Pentax batteries and chargers, I am using Wasabi batteries and their charger and have had no problems with them. A spare battery or two can save you when you are shooting and run out of battery.
09-10-2021, 03:40 AM   #51

Improve fast manual lens focusing

Hi all

I have Just bought a 2nd hand Lens to play a little with portraits (Walimax (Samyang) f1.4 85mm). Not surpringsly focusing Wide Open Is not that Easy. Although using the live view I can focus a lot easier, i was looking for some advice to reach some result with the OVF also.
Of course I use SR on, the Hood Always mounted, and i move the focus ring really slow trying to reach the focus green indicator fixed. I also am trying to shoot with a burst hoping the moviments (me and the subject) provide some random "in focus" portrait but no good results.

After some chat in FB I end up into someting interesting. The following "conclusions" are only subjective: what may work for me may not work for another one or maybe it works but it is not useful, worth it etc.

I was able to have 10 out of 16 f1.4 shots with a correct focus. To me is an amazing result!

So my "fantastic f1.4 image (portraits)" tricks are :

1) taken - no surprise - focusing at f3.5
2) short to medium distance , 1 up to 3 meter
3) set the aperture bracketing so that i can obtain f1.4 image
4) start focusing from infinite to the closer and, once reached the focus, just a little step back

of course there is no "scientific methodology" here but it works enough to me and I bet I can configure the K3iii in someway to recall this config quite easily.
Notice this does not seem to work at infinite but i do not need an 85mm lens f1.4 to shoot landscapes i guess 😄

bye

Danilo

Danilo
09-26-2021, 05:30 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
So my "fantastic f1.4 image (portraits)" tricks are :

1) taken - no surprise - focusing at f3.5
2) short to medium distance , 1 up to 3 meter
3) set the aperture bracketing so that i can obtain f1.4 image
4) start focusing from infinite to the closer and, once reached the focus, just a little step back
5) changed the max time the exposure measuring is ON from 10 to 30. This will also allow the AF to stay ON while I am slowly moving the focus ring, avoiding the need to keep on pressing the AF rear button
6) save it as USER 1 mode

Thanks
Dnailo