Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2021, 05:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-3 iii tips and tricks (let's all contribute)

I'm currently learning and testing the K-3 iii for the upcoming Pentaxforums review.

It's one heck of a camera, that's for sure!

I'd like this thread to be a repository for tips and tricks, things we learn about the camera and how to best use it.

I'll start with something simple:

When first starting to use it, I was annoyed at the position of the viewfinder/live view/video dial. I felt I needed two hands to change modes, which didn't make sense. After a short while, I realized I can quickly rotate it using the index finger of my right hand! One-handed controls back again.

Let's hear your observations!

07-20-2021, 06:07 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm currently learning and testing the K-3 iii for the upcoming Pentaxforums review.

I'd like this thread to be a repository for tips and tricks, things we learn about the camera and how to best use it.

When first starting to use it, I was annoyed at the position of the viewfinder/live view/video dial. I felt I needed two hands to change modes, which didn't make sense. After a short while, I realized I can quickly rotate it using the index finger of my right hand! One-handed controls back again.

No hints just glad to see you are working on the " in depth " review
07-20-2021, 06:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Being able to Lock the Mode Dial when I definitely don't want things to change accidently, then being able to Unlock it so's I can change Modes with a single click using one finger makes evaluating options so much easier, whilst having the security of knowing I'll not be accidently shifting into an adjacent mode whilst (clumsily) handling the camera, changing lenses, for example! The "Lock All Buttons" button is useful as well, especially when wearing gloves. Again, no accidental changes!
It took me two and a half hours from unboxing to work through the manual, picking the options I was interested in, before I was happy I'd be able to operate the camera as I wanted to do it. There's oodles of options I've not explored yet, we'll be getting there eventually, in the meantime Pentax have released what might prove to be a significant firmware update, so there's a lot more testing to be done to ensure I've got the camera operating as best it can for what I want.

A comprehensive discussion of the advantages (or disadvantages) of the various a/f Modes ... Zone, the various Expanded Area options etc. ... would probably be appreciated. What each option is specifically good for, with examples, rather than just a bald statement of what it does, might be very helpful. Using a phrase such as "optimum focussing points" without defining "optimum" seems rather pointless (pun intended)!

Good luck with your endeavours. Trying to cover all the features in a manner that will appeal to all the users (and potential users) out there, whilst not glossing over any subject that you may feel inconsequential but may be of some significance to someone else is a task I don't envy!

PS: why did they choose to remove only some of the Digital Filters I really enjoy making "water color" images of suitable subjects, now I've got to carry a second body just for this purpose

Last edited by kypfer; 07-20-2021 at 06:37 AM.
07-21-2021, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

I started this short thread and may be useful...

Undocumented features - PentaxForums.com

07-21-2021, 05:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
I started this short thread and may be useful...
Indeed, I find it very useful! Thanks for pointing it out.
07-21-2021, 06:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like that I can gently double-tap on the touch screen to zoom in while reviewing.
It will zoom to the spot where you tap. Use joystick to move zoom area...then hit "OK" button to zoom back out.
07-21-2021, 06:12 AM - 5 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

One thing that I found very useful is the use of the +/- button when deleting images. It behaves like a shift button on a computer to select a series of multiple images:
- in review grid mode, hit delete to enter delete mode
- select the first image of a series
- hold +/- while selecting the last image of the series
result: all images between the first and the last are selected.

I use it frequently to delete failed bracketing/panorama/burst sequences.

07-22-2021, 05:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
One thing that I found very useful is the use of the +/- button when deleting images. It behaves like a shift button on a computer to select a series of multiple images:
- in review grid mode, hit delete to enter delete mode
- select the first image of a series
- hold +/- while selecting the last image of the series
result: all images between the first and the last are selected.

I use it frequently to delete failed bracketing/panorama/burst sequences
Great tip!
07-22-2021, 10:53 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OVERIMPOSE COMPOSITION

Hi all, for those who like to shoot still life with light painting the usage of multiple exposure is the way. With my K3 I was setting, let say, 10 exposure and I was painting each shoot. But what if after 5 exposure the result was OK? I only found turning off the camera was the solution. With the K3iii you are asked if the resul is ok with you and if you want to stop the process. No matter how may times you've already shoot and no matter how many "click" are left. Seem pentax understood that feature is a creative process where is rare you know in advance how many ... "light paint" will be necessary. That's great to me!

Thanks!
07-23-2021, 06:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
OVERIMPOSE COMPOSITION

Hi all, for those who like to shoot still life with light painting the usage of multiple exposure is the way. With my K3 I was setting, let say, 10 exposure and I was painting each shoot. But what if after 5 exposure the result was OK? I only found turning off the camera was the solution. With the K3iii you are asked if the resul is ok with you and if you want to stop the process. No matter how may times you've already shoot and no matter how many "click" are left. Seem pentax understood that feature is a creative process where is rare you know in advance how many ... "light paint" will be necessary. That's great to me!

Thanks!
This sounds cool. Can you give more detail on your process? What settings and steps do you use to get started?
07-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry guys, kind of stupid Qn but i dont quite grasp it thats why.

Wonder if anyone knows how to go about this.

On page 62 of the instruction manual, at top portion, it says

"You can set the method for tracking AF points when the autofocus mode is set to [Continuous AF]"

Then it has a small table saying "Type1" (which tracks AF points using AF sensor and AE sensor).

And "Type2" (which tracks AF points using AF sensor information only).

What i dont grasp is:

A) Where in the world do we choose Type1 or Type2?

B) does it mean "AF point tracking" is automatically "On" whenever we are at AFC mode?
(And thus only left to pick Type1 or Type2 of AF Tracking?)
07-23-2021, 08:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the menu, under AF with Viewfinder, when you scroll down, you will see the menu option to choose between Type 1 and Type 2. That section of the manual is basically walking you through that menu.
07-24-2021, 12:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-3iii doesn't have a "baked in" Astrophoto pre-set (as supplied with the K-70 and KP) which can be useful if making star-trail pictures (or even single exposures) without the O-GPS1 attachment.

Therefore, from USER??????????????? | PENTAX official (translated) :

Custom image : vivid

Custom image advanced settings :
Saturation: +2
Hue: 0
Key: -2
Contrast: +1
Contrast (highlight): +1
Contrast (shadow): -2
Sharpness: +1
Clarity Control +4
Low Pass Selector Type1

hope this helps someone
07-24-2021, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
This sounds cool. Can you give more detail on your process? What settings and steps do you use to get started?
Basically once you have your subject ready as you like it is a matter of get the right focusing and frame. Of course you have to use a tripod. Tipically low ISO (noise) and small aperture (DOF) using an exposure time long enough to allow you to "light paint" the subject.When everything is ready you set 2sec timer in a completely dark room, shoot and start illuminate the subject with a continuous light (easy).
The camera will take a picture and you'll keep paint and shoot paint and shoot until you get your file : like i said the K3iii will ask you if you wanna stop the process in advance or keep shooting, until the number of shoot you set.
hope this make sense for you!

Thanks
Danilo

PS this is not taken with the K3iii
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-24-2021, 10:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
The camera will take a picture and you'll keep paint and shoot paint and shoot until you get your file : like i said the K3iii will ask you if you wanna stop the process in advance or keep shooting, until the number of shoot you set.
hope this make sense for you!
This is where I get lost. Which mode are you using in the camera to get it to do this and to prompt you for if you should continue or not?