Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2021, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Thanks for the 8.25% off coupon. Owe you one.
Happy to help!

07-27-2021, 07:42 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I'm in lockdown at the moment, so mine isn't getting any exercise. I'm yet to try it after the latest firmware update, which some say improved AF.C further.
Yes, the AF does seem to have been improved. I had a far higher keeper rate at a music shoot from this past weekend than one I did two weeks ago. Same lenses, HD FA85, Sigma 18-35, and Pentax 10-17, and generally the same conditions.
07-27-2021, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
I have owned the K-3iii for 2 weeks now, replacing my K-3. I decided to stick with Pentax due to the following reasons:

Excellent build quality and ergonomics.
Designed by photographers for photographers.
Compact design APSC body.
Excellent image quality.
Intuitive controls.
Simple, compact, and user friendly lenses, generally with excellent optics. Some very fine new lenses.
A fan of a good OVF.
As a system, good value for money.
If I were to change to a mirrorless system, there would be a major outlay for no benefit in photographic quality.
The K-3iii video capability is very good and easy to use for my occasional use.

Onto my initial experience of using the K3-iii:
Excellent AF performance for tracking fast moving subjects. An example is a very high hit rate for cars approaching at motorway speeds.
Superb high ISO performance. Using the Photoshop luminosity control and NIK Define2 noise reduction I have some excellent 20,000 ISO images.
Should be even more impressive with more sophisticated noise reduction software.
Class leading dynamic range.
Impressive pixel shift performance using a tripod with remote shutter control.
Very impressive SR performance for 'every day' lenses. A less marked improvement for a 300mm lens over the K-3.
Very smooth and quiet mirror/shutter operations and light/smooth shutter release button.

A few functions different to the K-3:
Focus peaking is not available when histograms are shown in the playback and live view.
The digital preview cannot be allocated to a customisable button, hence only either the digital or optical preview can be utilised, not both.
The red focus point indication is not as prominent as in the K-3, but getting used to it.

Overall a superb example of camera engineering, a pleasure to use and delivering excellent results.

I trust this is helpful to prospective K-3iii users.
Thank you, Robert, for the good review info. I am loving my K3 Mark III and concur with your comments. Much faster auto focus, quieter, the view finder is amazing and precise, makes processing time much faster, to name a few of the stand-out things so far. I need to have time to explore and learn all of the complete benefits, but encourage those on the fence to just jump off! Best Pentax I have used ever in a long line of great cameras. As a professional sports photographer, almost all of my action shots in sequence are crisp, keep up with the action and doesn't have the spooling time in the middle of shooting. The price isn't that high, when compared to other brands, especially for what you get. If we really support Pentax, then let's support them when they put out a top-notch, better than the competitors' product, so we can have a future for our Pentax!
07-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Yes, the AF does seem to have been improved. I had a far higher keeper rate at a music shoot from this past weekend than one I did two weeks ago. Same lenses, HD FA85, Sigma 18-35, and Pentax 10-17, and generally the same conditions.
I agree about the hit rate. I also checked my 55-300 PLM fine adjustment and had to go from a 0 adjustment to a +3 which is to me minimal. I haven't checked my other lens yet.

07-28-2021, 12:56 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Thanks for the good overview of the new camera, it does seem to be a fantastic piece of kit. Most negatives in reviews focus on (1) It being a Pentax (which some strange people consider a negative, (2) the cost and (3) it's not a mirrorless camera.