Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2021, 01:43 PM - 13 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two weeks with the K-3iii

I have owned the K-3iii for 2 weeks now, replacing my K-3. I decided to stick with Pentax due to the following reasons:

Excellent build quality and ergonomics.
Designed by photographers for photographers.
Compact design APSC body.
Excellent image quality.
Intuitive controls.
Simple, compact, and user friendly lenses, generally with excellent optics. Some very fine new lenses.
A fan of a good OVF.
As a system, good value for money.
If I were to change to a mirrorless system, there would be a major outlay for no benefit in photographic quality.
The K-3iii video capability is very good and easy to use for my occasional use.

Onto my initial experience of using the K3-iii:
Excellent AF performance for tracking fast moving subjects. An example is a very high hit rate for cars approaching at motorway speeds.
Superb high ISO performance. Using the Photoshop luminosity control and NIK Define2 noise reduction I have some excellent 20,000 ISO images.
Should be even more impressive with more sophisticated noise reduction software.
Class leading dynamic range.
Impressive pixel shift performance using a tripod with remote shutter control.
Very impressive SR performance for 'every day' lenses. A less marked improvement for a 300mm lens over the K-3.
Very smooth and quiet mirror/shutter operations and light/smooth shutter release button.

A few functions different to the K-3:
Focus peaking is not available when histograms are shown in the playback and live view.
The digital preview cannot be allocated to a customisable button, hence only either the digital or optical preview can be utilised, not both.
The red focus point indication is not as prominent as in the K-3, but getting used to it.

Overall a superb example of camera engineering, a pleasure to use and delivering excellent results.

I trust this is helpful to prospective K-3iii users.

07-23-2021, 04:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you are having good experiences with the Mk III!
07-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for sharing. How would you describe Auto Focus? Is it significantly better than in K-3?
07-23-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
An example is a very high hit rate for cars approaching at motorway speeds.
I like hearing this. Birds and cars are high on my list of things I like to photograph.

07-23-2021, 08:24 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Thank you for sharing. How would you describe Auto Focus? Is it significantly better than in K-3?
The K-3 Mk I had no problems in AF mode it was very good if you were diligent with your technique. Where the Mk III shines is with continuous autofocus and subject tracking which is light years ahead of the K-3 Mk I. The Mk III locks focus with precision but you must understand the use of the AF active areas and when to use them to the best effect. The Mk III is very advanced.
07-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm in lockdown at the moment, so mine isn't getting any exercise. I'm yet to try it after the latest firmware update, which some say improved AF.C further.
07-24-2021, 02:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you're enjoying your K3iii... The low-light performance must be excellent.. .20,000 ISO is high enough for any camera to handle pleasingly..

07-24-2021, 02:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting this. I haven't pushed mine to ISO 20K yet, but I did get a few "surprisingly" good ISO 6400 shots indeed.
07-24-2021, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing. It is fine camera, probably one of best I ever held for my type of photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Thanks for posting this. I haven't pushed mine to ISO 20K yet, but I did get a few "surprisingly" good ISO 6400 shots indeed.

As for ISO Unless you are looking at images at 100% zoom or are obsessed with noise, 25600 is perfectly usable, I suppose for book/zine printing (so max A4) even 51200 would be ok. I photograph with print in mind so I use Av, T or TAv modes with autoISO limited at 25600, would need to test higher. I think for postcard size even something like 100k would be fine.
07-24-2021, 05:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
I have owned the K-3iii for 2 weeks now, replacing my K-3......

I trust this is helpful to prospective K-3iii users.
You should post this in the review section.
07-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The K-3 Mk I had no problems in AF mode it was very good if you were diligent with your technique. Where the Mk III shines is with continuous autofocus and subject tracking which is light years ahead of the K-3 Mk I. The Mk III locks focus with precision but you must understand the use of the AF active areas and when to use them to the best effect. The Mk III is very advanced.
Very very helpful thanks
Paul
07-24-2021, 03:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've always shirked at buying a new body at full price.

This is the first one that am considering even with sales tax coming into play.
07-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
I've always shirked at buying a new body at full price.

This is the first one that am considering even with sales tax coming into play.
Consider buying from B&H, using their "Payboo" credit card they will instantly rebate you the sales tax equivalent.
07-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the information..

Looking at this one closely as a possible replacement for my K5 ii. Still checking reviews. $2,000 for a body is a trifle steep but prices may drop a bit by the time I'm ready to buy.
07-25-2021, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Consider buying from B&H, using their "Payboo" credit card they will instantly rebate you the sales tax equivalent.
Thanks for the 8.25% off coupon. Owe you one.