Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2021, 11:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
INFO button has two distinct usages, and this may be sometimes confusing

Hello everyone

after 2 weeks of life with K3 III I share here a small (and subjective) topic about INFO button ergonomic.
I love to use it to call the control panel, it is so cool to be able to customize all my favorite parameters in one and only one screen.

However, the INFO button is also used in INSTANT REVIEW mode to swap the photo info views.

So when I take a picture, during the 3 seconds of instant review display time, instead of calling the control panel, I swap the photo views.

And it happens a lot of times in a day.

I have to change something either in camera settings or in my way of processing, but I wanted to share with you this small issue.
How do you use the instant review display, the control panel ? how do you globally handle the settings between two immediate shoots ?
How would you workaround this ?
Thanks

07-31-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MichaŽl C Quote
Hello everyone

after 2 weeks of life with K3 III I share here a small (and subjective) topic about INFO button ergonomic.
I love to use it to call the control panel, it is so cool to be able to customize all my favorite parameters in one and only one screen.

However, the INFO button is also used in INSTANT REVIEW mode to swap the photo info views.

So when I take a picture, during the 3 seconds of instant review display time, instead of calling the control panel, I swap the photo views.

I have to change something either in camera settings or in my way of processing, but I wanted to share with you this small issue.
How do you use the instant review display, the control panel ? how do you globally handle the settings between two immediate shoots ?
Thanks
Can you remap one of the buttons as an Info button.... Must go and try.
07-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MichaŽl C Quote
Hello everyone

Thanks
Hello,

Not sure if this is helpful for you but canít you just not push INFO -button? Could you give insight of what is the reason you want to push that button, during that 3 s view time.

I personally want to just see quickly preview and have set that time to 1 sec, so it will just very brief show if I have my settings good to go for the next shot. And if I want to have better look at it, I just push that button made for it and have better look.

So suggestion from me is that you can make settings to be shorter preview time for the times whe you donít need it so often in user mode, so you can have shortened preview times for the times you want more quick interface and when you need to study harder your shots after one capture you just have that instant preview for longer time
07-31-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Not sure if this is helpful for you but can’t you just not push INFO -button? Could you give insight of what is the reason you want to push that button, during that 3 s view time.
I concur ^ ^ ^

The info button function varies by mode and the expectation that it will bring up the control panel during instant review is ill-founded, at least for the K-3iii.*

A potential solution for you is to set instant review time to zero (i.e. OFF). Alternatively, there is the option of not reflexively pressing the info button in other than standby mode.

FWIW, I have an unconscious habit of pressing the down arrow accidentally while in instant review mode. With my settings, that toggles the histogram display to three-color, something I can undo on a later shot...if I remember to.

Steve

* In all fairness, if I press the info button on my K-3 while in instant review mode (just now tried), the action is to return to standby mode with display of the control panel.

07-31-2021, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

If you ask me what each button does on my K3iii I may struggle to answer ... but my fingers know.
07-31-2021, 03:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
Can you remap one of the buttons as an Info button.... Must go and try.
Thanks snappyhoffy,

however it is seems that both INFO button, "control panel" function and "instant review display mode" function do not support customization, at least in firmware v1.02.

best regards

---------- Post added 2021-07-31 at 15:56 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Hello,

Not sure if this is helpful for you but can’t you just not push INFO -button? Could you give insight of what is the reason you want to push that button, during that 3 s view time.

I personally want to just see quickly preview and have set that time to 1 sec, so it will just very brief show if I have my settings good to go for the next shot. And if I want to have better look at it, I just push that button made for it and have better look.

So suggestion from me is that you can make settings to be shorter preview time for the times whe you don’t need it so often in user mode, so you can have shortened preview times for the times you want more quick interface and when you need to study harder your shots after one capture you just have that instant preview for longer time
Thanks repaap
This is a wise advice . I have to lost my habit from the K5 where INFO button had (and has) only one role. I guess it is a part of the learning curve.

---------- Post added 2021-07-31 at 16:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If you ask me what each button does on my K3iii I may struggle to answer ... but my fingers know.
Hi Paul the Sunman!
Bless be your fingers
Mine, after years of piano on the K5, request strong inputs from my (lazy) brain to handle this new K3III

---------- Post added 2021-07-31 at 16:15 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I concur ^ ^ ^

The info button function varies by mode and the expectation that it will bring up the control panel during instant review is ill-founded, at least for the K-3iii.*

A potential solution for you is to set instant review time to zero (i.e. OFF). Alternatively, there is the option of not reflexively pressing the info button in other than standby mode.

FWIW, I have an unconscious habit of pressing the down arrow accidentally while in instant review mode. With my settings, that toggles the histogram display to three-color, something I can undo on a later shot...if I remember to.

Steve

* In all fairness, if I press the info button on my K-3 while in instant review mode (just now tried), the action is to return to standby mode with display of the control panel.
Hi stevebrot
Thanks for your test on K3 where the INFO button seems to behave as I would like (with a constant function easy to ... assimilate ).
I'm happy with the huge number of button and knobs on the K3III because It's like a HOTAS : easy to handle. The INFO button dual behavior is a small exception among them for me.

Last edited by MichaŽl C; 07-31-2021 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typo
07-31-2021, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Half pressing the shutter button will get you out of instant review, so do that and then press the info button if you need the control panel.

08-01-2021, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Half pressing the shutter button will get you out of instant review, so do that and then press the info button if you need the control panel.
Oh! very nice tips mtkeller
It enables to keep fingers in place (right thumb near info button and OK button), without the need to move up the thumb to playback button to stop instant review. Thank you !!

BTW, I found another workaround that works uniquely because it reminds me the location of the K5 playback button.
I swapped the Fx buttons LOCK and PLAYBACK, in order to be able to exit instant review with the left thumb, keeping my right thumb in place.

But I feel that your solution is more elegant and I'll try it .
Best regards