Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2021, 11:29 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Forum Member

First Impression

Simply wow.
I mainly shoot motorsport and up to now none of my Pentax could match my daughter's Canon 7D MK2 with 100-400 USM or 300 F2.8 combo. All changed today - first time out with the K3MkIII - simply blown away with how well the auto focus works with the PLM 55-300.
Only missed a couple of shots and that was because the camera froze - went blank (battery in and out job - fully charged standard battery). I have seen this reported elsewhere and expect a firmware upgrade will fix it at some time so for now no worries.
Early days but I think the auto focus is a match for, or better than, the Canon. The camera is impressive just need a lens to match the Canon one's - but at a sensible price...

Last edited by MJ43; 08-01-2021 at 11:32 PM.
08-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats on your new camera! I have also been really impressed with the K-3 iii for sports (soccer) with the 55-300 plm and 60-250–so much better than K-3 ii or KP for continuous focus action. I had the same lockup issue in the past when using AF-C for long periods (cycling the camera off and on always fixed it). I used it in AF-C today for an hour taking pictures of Seagulls in flight and never had a problem. This was my first time out after updating to firmware ver. 1.10. Maybe they fixed it? Anyway, enjoy it! It would be great to see some of your motorsports pics with the K-3 iii.
08-01-2021, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love hearing stuff like this. Looking forward to picking one up at some point.
08-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJ43 Quote
simply blown away with how well the auto focus works with the PLM 55-300.
QuoteOriginally posted by MTNcycler Quote
This was my first time out after updating to firmware ver. 1.10.
Does the AF seem better under firmware v1.10? Any noticeable specific improvements compared to the earlier FW?

The reason I ask is that the FW notice doesn't indicate any update to autofocus, but I think a couple of members have mentioned improvements.

- Craig

08-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Does the AF seem better under firmware v1.10? Any noticeable specific improvements compared to the earlier FW?

The reason I ask is that the FW notice doesn't indicate any update to autofocus, but I think a couple of members have mentioned improvements.

- Craig
I think it is significantly better. Before the firmware update it was defaulting to AF points along the bottom of the active area, and now it seems to better at picking up the subject, even against difficult backgrounds. Could be placebo effect, but I think it’s real. I thought the AF points were much better in real time, and reviewing images backs that impression up. Good stuff!
08-01-2021, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
I don’t have any hard evidence, but I agree that my camera seems to be doing a better job focusing on “the right” object after the 1.10 firmware update. I have been shooting in single shot mode.
08-01-2021, 11:23 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MTNcycler Quote
...This was my first time out after updating to firmware ver. 1.10. Maybe they fixed it?...
After my first picture with the camera - I had to click something before doing anything else - I upgraded to 1.10 firmware. So comments about AF and the camera going blank are based on that version of firmware. I can't comment on earlier versions as I didn't try them.
Whereas I like the PLM 55-300, from experience with the lens on a KP it works best (or at least my copy does) at F8 and up to about 200mm, above 200 and at larger apertures the lens is soft. As this is limiting, I ordered a 60-250 F4 to go with the K3-3 but that has gone back, before I even tried it, as it had a vey noticeable tight spot on the zoom around 135mm. I will be interested to see how the K3-3 performs with an SDM lens. As it is early days I also have to try the various screw lenses I have, again to compare with the KP.
Though given my first impression of the K3-3 I am feeling sorry for the KP as I suspect that going forward it will see little use.

08-02-2021, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #8
sbc
Pentaxian

Simply wow.

The camera is impressive just need a lens to match the Canon one's - but at a sensible price...
That lens would be the DFA 150-450. According to B&H, it is cheaper by US$400 too,
08-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
That lens would be the DFA 150-450. According to B&H, it is cheaper by US$400 too,
Oh... yes but...
I have already spent too much. Need to part with some kit to justify the expense (UK price new is £1979 - $2745!! but still cheaper than the Canon 100-400).
Anybody want a nice low shutter count silver body KP - £650?
08-03-2021, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where's the full frame version?

Ricoh: When will you offer a full frame DSLR with the focus and image-capture improvements offered in the K3-3? Some of us have large investments in glass designed for full frame ... some of us like having that extra image area and resolution to which to apply post and cropping. My bank account is saying NO NO NO but I've learned to ignore its little voice!
08-03-2021, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Owltown Quote
Ricoh: When will you offer a full frame DSLR with the focus and image-capture improvements offered in the K3-3? Some of us have large investments in glass designed for full frame ... some of us like having that extra image area and resolution to which to apply post and cropping. My bank account is saying NO NO NO but I've learned to ignore its little voice!
The next FF release probably. But unless they go to a 24 MP sensor it won't have these specs. The FPS is likely to be 50% slower, but still decent. And it should be about 3 grand, way out of my range.
08-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Simply wow.

Only missed a couple of shots and that was because the camera froze - went blank (battery in and out job - fully charged standard battery). I have seen this reported elsewhere and expect a firmware upgrade will fix it at some time so for now no worries.
Impressive! I guess that is the new road path for Pentax. In and out the battery. That happened with K-1 now it is with K3 III.
Should that be in a camera manual?
08-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #13

You have my attention, I was 100% sold on the idea of switching to Sony (A7III or A7C) for action photography my K70 is just way too slow. If the K3iii is that much better it might be an option that would not require replacing all my lenses as well.

Any comparison notes on the K3iii vs K70 and/or Sony A7iii*?

*Obviously there are major differences between DSLR and mirrorless my main curiosity relates to the autofocus speed and accuracy.
08-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JTrottaNY Quote
....Any comparison notes on the K3iii vs K70 and/or Sony A7iii*?

*Obviously there are major differences between DSLR and mirrorless my main curiosity relates to the autofocus speed and accuracy.
I can't comment on K70. I have a K50 and a KP. KP a little better than K50 but there is no comparison with the K3Mk3.
I need to try other lenses, but with a PLM using AF.C - as I said - simply Wow. See if you can borrow one to try it out.
08-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JTrottaNY Quote
You have my attention, I was 100% sold on the idea of switching to Sony (A7III or A7C) for action photography my K70 is just way too slow. If the K3iii is that much better it might be an option that would not require replacing all my lenses as well.

Any comparison notes on the K3iii vs K70 and/or Sony A7iii*?

I had a K-70 for almost four years (K-50 for three years before). Lots of experience shooting baseball with the two older bodies. Took the K-3 iii out to shoot a double header the day after I got the camera (aka before I really had any idea how to optimally use the new AF.C), and it was mind bogglingly better. Tracked baserunners from first to second and second to third when I was aimed directly down the baselines. With the Tamron 70–200 f/2.8 (screwdrive) attached to the HD DA 1.4x teleconverter, I was getting wonderful AF. One of the hardest things for me with baseball historically had been quickly turning to get an outfielder catching a fly ball near the fence, as the K-50/70 would always lock onto the fence. That happened a couple of times here, but most of the time I actually got sharp focus on the outfielder. Here's the post I made at the time: AF-C of K-3III is impressive - Page 20 - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 08-03-21 at 13:19 ----------

I can't comment on K70. I have a K50 and a KP. KP a little better than K50 but there is no comparison with the K3Mk3.
I need to try other lenses, but with a PLM using AF.C - as I said - simply Wow. See if you can borrow one to try it out.
One option for "borrowing" would be to rent from lensrentals.com.