Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2021, 03:58 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Review by Popular Photography, July 31, 2021 - "A solid DSLR in a mirrorless world"

A short review released July 31, 2021 by Popular Photography:

Pentax K3 Mark 3 review: Newest Pentax camera | Popular Photography

08-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So did Popular Photography maintain a web based presence after folding its magazine?

Good review by the way though it could have been somewhat longer.
08-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice review. The parallel with mirrorless is nicely done IMHO and may interest current mirrorless owners.
Thank you for sharing.
08-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
Apparently- I wasn't aware either. I had not been following them and had assumed they faded away long ago. It popped up when I did a google search just to see if there was anything new out there.

Quite limited in coverage and depth, but contains less of the age-old negative bias connotations and cliches that seem to get thrown at Pentax for some unwarranted reason.

08-01-2021, 05:40 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax cameras are not just for folks that have been with the brand for 40 years. I picked up my first interchangeable lens camera in 2015, and it was a k3ii. And maybe then the alternatives I was considering were able to include other DSLRs, but today it's pretty much the only not-to-be-abandoned option if one prefers an optical viewfinder. Of course, nothing wrong with picking up a recent DSLR from another brand and planning on buying used whenever the new stock ends, we've been doing this with film for quite a while, but if buying new it's really the only choice and I'm happy Ricoh's sticking with it.
08-01-2021, 05:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Positive review but very superficial.
08-01-2021, 09:45 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Positive review but very superficial.
Reviews are made so that products become visible to us. What's a review for me if the reviewer doesn't use the camera as I would use it?
For example, there are tripod reviews: none of them mention that the tripod can fit in my travel suitcase. Non of the my Siriu gimbal reviews say that rotation lock is done by step (not continuous), and hence it is not possible to lock the gimbal at a precise location, so it's practically a pain to use the Siriu gimbal for long exposures or as panoramic head, yet it gets very good reviews!

08-02-2021, 02:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For example, there are tripod reviews: none of them mention that the tripod can fit in my travel suitcase.
???? I have just checked the first three tripod reviews in PF and they all give the closed length, it seems to be a standard piece of information there. The first brand mentioned was Gitzo so I checked the first model on Gitzo's website and that gave a length too - I would have been very suprised if they had not.
08-02-2021, 03:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
???? I have just checked the first three tripod reviews in PF and they all give the closed length, it seems to be a standard piece of information there. The first brand mentioned was Gitzo so I checked the first model on Gitzo's website and that gave a length too - I would have been very suprised if they had not.
Yes, I have to look at the specs and figure out by myself. No review give the conclusion for me, because they don't know what size is my suitcase. BTW, tripod reviewers could have a look at standard suitcase sized and evaluate tripods based on sizes , but they don't. I'm not convinced that all reviewers are competent. I trust must more users reviews and especially when users report an issue that they had, it is very useful. Regarding gimbal reviews, I would question how many of the reviewers are full time wildlife photographers who have enough experience to have stumbled on a variety of practical issues? (not so many, I guess). The best reviews are the ones we do ourselves after buying or renting the equipment.
08-02-2021, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Pentax doubled down on the OVF and DSLRs. We'll see if it works out long term.

All the reviews acknowledge it's a great camera...and I agree completely.
I'll be shooting with it for many years to come. I don't like EVF anyway.
08-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its rather obvious that the author wasn't very familiar with the Mk III and it's features as he missed the eye AF and facial recognition along with several other features he claimed were exclusively mirrorless.
08-02-2021, 06:45 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those folks considering the K-3 Mark III

Overall, it's a positive review that speaks highly of the K-3 Mark III and the Pentax brand.

However, a reader should be aware of several points.

The review claims that "Mirrorless cameras can lock onto a person’s face or eye and track it with meticulous accuracy even when it’s moving at high speeds."

Being mirrorless doesn't necessarily guarantee superlative face/eye detection and tracking; performance depends on the specific model. Even recent models are reported to have issues, such as the Fujifilm X-T4.

A positive statement says that "Pentax has long held a reputation for solid reliability and that’s exactly what this camera offers." While Pentax does have a reputation for solid or rugged equipment, it's premature to make this claim for the brand new K-3 Mark III. Time will tell.

"Its closest real competition comes in the form of the Nikon D500, which debuted at CES back in 2016. In that comparison, the Pentax predictably wins on image quality and other features like memory card speeds." Does the K-3 Mark III really exceed the D500 in memory card speeds (D500 uses XQD cards)? Where's the test?

"...live view dial (which feels unnecessarily large for only offering three options..." I find that this is an odd niggle, and the review doesn't suggest an alternative implementation. I doubt the reviewer explored the design approach or trade-offs in the functionality of buttons, switches, or dials.

Price is mentioned as a potential deterrent, and the review suggests that other, cheaper cameras might be preferred. Like other reviews, the Fujifilm X-T4, also an APS-C format, is held as a less expensive option, but the review fails to mention some of the reported cons of that camera, such as its small hand grip, mushy shutter button, autofocus issues, and inferior build quality.

Regrettably, the brief review doesn't mention some of the obvious hallmark features, such as the brilliant optical viewfinder, the excellent operability, the Smart Function customization, and the advanced Hyper-Operation function, among others. It would have been gracious if the review had mentioned Ricoh Imaging.

Edit. I don't mean to be coming down hard on the X-T4. It's another camera that has been highly rated and well liked by users. I had a chance to use an X-T3 for a week, and found it to be a competent camera.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 08-02-2021 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Comment on X-T4
08-05-2021, 05:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another review
08-05-2021, 07:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
Another review
Very positive; he is a salesman of course, but it cheered me up after watching Cameraville's review. His only negative is the lack of a flip screen, it keeps being brought up If it had been given one, I wonder if the reviewers would have complained about the camera being 5mm thicker and 20 gm heavier. No mention of price.
08-05-2021, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
His only negative is the lack of a flip screen,
It's still the reason I'm not buying it. I want 1 camera that does everything. It doesn't do everything.