Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2021, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

I think when it comes to choosing a camera your first need to decide on 3 questions! What is your ideal format size? Do you prefer SLR or mirrorless?, Does the system provide the lenses you need?
If you want an APS-C DSLR then at this particular juncture it's hard to not recommend Pentax. It's just about picking which body offers the features you want at the price your willing to pay. Unless you there is a specific lens that pentax doesn't supply, then it's an easy choice.

Obviously if you prefer mirrorless to SLR then there a many choices, with Fuji the only real APS-C system.

As for Nikon, F-mount and SLRs are essentially discontinued so $1500 for a 5 year old end of line camera is arguably terrible value compared to a new $2k Pentax.

And then there is the fact that people should expect to pay more for an SLR because mirrorless are significantly cheaper to manufacture.

08-07-2021, 01:47 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think proposing "dead" system like Nikon D500 is kinda wrong. Pentax is aimed at people who want DSLR and want to stick with the system, probably in long years to come. If you get D500 it is end of the road. No new lenses, no new bodies. Not so with Pentax whre you can be sure that Ricoh/Pentax will support PK and DSLR in the future. Most likely APSC too, so there is little to no risk in getting a DA lens with future (K-3 Mk IV) body in mind.

I think all reviews miss the point that if one wants a DSLR there is literally only Pentax to choose from if you want to stick with one system. There is little reason to propose D500 as alternative. MILC like Fuji may be alternative if someone does not know if he wants SLR or MILC.

Still the review was a nice read, so thanks for sharing
08-07-2021, 02:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I think proposing "dead" system like Nikon D500 is kinda wrong. Pentax is aimed at people who want DSLR and want to stick with the system, probably in long years to come. If you get D500 it is end of the road. No new lenses, no new bodies. Not so with Pentax whre you can be sure that Ricoh/Pentax will support PK and DSLR in the future. Most likely APSC too, so there is little to no risk in getting a DA lens with future (K-3 Mk IV) body in mind.
Is ironic that until not so long ago reviews were calling Pentax a "dying" system. Back then, that was a criteria - now it isn't.
08-07-2021, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Have you tried since FW 1.10 and the latest version of ImageSync came out? I don’t understand why problems keep cropping up for some (I don’t doubt that you’re having problems!), but it does seem like people have reported issues going away every time there’s a new firmware. It would be nice if people who reported issues to Ricoh through the support form could be sent some sort of debugging firmware that would give a data dump file that Ricoh could analyze. It’s not like sending the camera in is likely to reveal the issue, since it’s likely more about the phone than the camera.
Umm... probably not. I should try again. But I concur that the problem is more likely in the phone than the camera. I used to be able to kind of work around it by using my work phone (an iPhone 8), but they've changed policies and now I can't use 3rd party apps on the work phone.

At some point this year I'll probably replace my personal phone since it's now five years old. I've been looking at the Pixel 6 which is due out soon. That may solve the issue.

08-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found it a very objective and honest review. Even a pentaxian to say there are other best value for money cameras, I found it very honest, because it's true.
And if we think logical, it's better to have strong competition on the market to push Ricoh-Pentax to invest further in better cameras.
08-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Umm... probably not. I should try again.

At some point this year I'll probably replace my personal phone since it's now five years old. I've been looking at the Pixel 6 which is due out soon. That may solve the issue.
That makes at least two of us.
08-07-2021, 02:36 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
I found it a very objective and honest review. Even a pentaxian to say there are other best value for money cameras, I found it very honest, because it's true.
And if we think logical, it's better to have strong competition on the market to push Ricoh-Pentax to invest further in better cameras.
Better options with pixel shift, IBIS an an astro-tracer option?
With over 6 mllion lenses sold?

Do tell?

My opinion after reading was that there were many who had one better feature, but not anyone who could match the whole package. It's seriously no fair to pick on thing from one camera, another from another, then say there are better options from other cameras. Taken as whole, yes, but if you like the Pentax feature set, then no.