Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2021, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There are tons of generic QR plate without lock pin (Newer etc) that can be purchased for $5 each.
As an Ellie owner and also an owner of many generic plates, I suggest that the comparison is not justified. There is no doubt about the value of the QR plate from Hajnar. The suggestion of the Ellie was in response to the wish for an L-plate that would work with their camera.

Steve

08-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oneill Quote
There are almost no manufacturers making custom quick release plates for Pentax Camera bodies. Any that were being done by Really Right Stuff and Kirk Enterprises have pretty much been discontinued and they seem to be focusing on Sony, Nikon & Canon.

Hejnar Photo Design are making a bi-directional plate for the 645, 645D, 645Z, 67 & 67 II, they also make a "long" unidirectional plate for the 67. As well, they are making custom plates for the K70 & KP.

They are very well priced (all @ $38 US) and the finish and quality are excellent.

Hejnar Photo - Design Manufacture Delivered

Pentax

I felt the one for the KP, as the captive screw slot is cut for and aft (side to side on the plate), allowing alignment adjustment, should fit the K3 Mk.III as well, so I ordered one on spec and it fits beautifully.
They are using one of the location pin holes for the battery grip for the anti-twist pin. This plate does NOT fit the K3 and K3 Mk.II

A nice feature is that there is also a slot for attaching one end of the carrying strap, which then allows for the strap to be all on one side of the body.
This is my favorite method for attaching a strap as it allows a body with a medium telephoto to hang tight in against your hip instead of sticking awkwardly straight out from your body

I have advised Chris Hejnar of the additional application and the change will probably show on his website shortly. The SKU number is D046 and the following images show it installed on my K3 Mk.III

Murray
I'll order one, even if I already have one plate from another manufacturer, this one looks really cool. 😊
08-06-2021, 04:36 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
L Plate

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As an Ellie owner and also an owner of many generic plates, I suggest that the comparison is not justified. There is no doubt about the value of the QR plate from Hajnar. The suggestion of the Ellie was in response to the wish for an L-plate that would work with their camera.

Steve
Hey Steve,

Check out my "L" Bracket Post

Murray
08-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hey Steve,

Check out my "L" Bracket Post

Murray
You mean this one?

Custom "L" QR Plate for K3 MK.III - PentaxForums.com

Steve

08-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone seems to be hung up on arca style plates - that I didn't find too quick release due to having to screw jaws apart.
Since getting a Manfrotto geared head all my cameras now have their own QR plate and I've no plans to change.
08-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lensnut Quote
Everyone seems to be hung up on arca style plates - that I didn't find too quick release due to having to screw jaws apart.
Since getting a Manfrotto geared head all my cameras now have their own QR plate and I've no plans to change.
There are arca clamps that don't use a screw to lock/unlock. And then there's the Platyball, which is going to bring a whole new dimension to ball heads in general and arca clamps. Won't be until probably February before I get mine though
08-10-2021, 03:44 PM   #22
Pentaxian

There are Quick Release lever versions of the acra-swiss clamps. I have two such heads on my Gitzo , both sprung loaded so as they auto lock on when you place the camera or lens on them. All my others are the normal screw type, I don't find 1.5 seconds of turning a knob that inconvenient.

The reason the arca-swiss system works so well is because it's not just about a plate on the camera, it also matches lens plates and nodal/macro rails, that allow movement to balance camera and lens combos as well as being able to slide a camera / lens combo to it's nodal position for better stitching of Panoramas. And everything can swap and fit together.

The camera L-brackets that are dedicated fitment, generally follow the curves of the camera body, they are form fitting so as to not be sticking out or causing handling issues, they are not big chunky blocks, and can be left on the camera permanently, actually offering protection to the camera body as a bonus.

08-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for letting us know. Since the Manfrotto QR plate relies on friction*, it appears of limited usefulness in the context of this thread.

Steve

* There is one that has an anti-rotation lip, but adjustments appear limited.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-11-2021 at 12:35 PM.
09-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hey everyone, just thought I'd add that I just took the following plate off of my k200d and it seems to be fine on the K-3 III. The lip prevents twist. Please excuse the fingerprints!

Acratech ACQRPCE7
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/250567-REG/Acratech_2138_Quick_Releas...981&
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 3a  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 3a  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 3a  Photo 
09-28-2021, 06:21 AM   #25
Forum Member

Anybody know if RRS L-plate for K3 will fit K3-III, or is geometri bottom to different ? Also will the opening for hatch on left side be correctly placed?
Thanks / Lars
09-28-2021, 07:44 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Before the K3-III Battery grip...

I love the Herringbone handgrips (in conjunction with a neck strap in the great outdoors for rough terrain trekking), and with the K3 BG (Battery Grip), I needed a good plate. I used the CustomSLR plate with the added strap lug. Best plate I found, Since I use the BG, the new lugs are added to make installation easy. For QR now I just jeep a Herringbone hand screw plate in a pouch on my neck strap if I need it.

I use that adhesive sticky octopus rubber no slip tape on the bottom of the Battery Grip and in the bottom of the large lens hoods (usually on the CPL door) to keep things from sliding or scratching.
12-29-2023, 03:03 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Hejnar Photo Design are making a bi-directional plate for the 645, 645D, 645Z, 67 & 67 II, they also make a "long" unidirectional plate for the 67. As well, they are making custom plates for the K70 & KP.
They are very well priced (all @ $38 US) and the finish and quality are excellent.
Hejnar Photo - Design Manufacture Delivered
Pentax

I felt the one for the KP, as the captive screw slot is cut for and aft (side to side on the plate), allowing alignment adjustment, should fit the K3 Mk.III as well, so I ordered one on spec and it fits beautifully.
They are using one of the location pin holes for the battery grip for the anti-twist pin.

I have advised Chris Hejnar of the additional application and the change will probably show on his website shortly. The SKU number is D046 and the following images show it installed on my K3 Mk.III
Great find, thank you!