Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Digital Camera World Review - K-3 Mark III

..."Is it worth the formidable asking price?"
Well, one thing's for sure...
If you're using the DA 16-85 don't expect to have options for video AF.C Doh!!! I guess that lost credibility.
Anyways, here's the review.
Pentax K-3 Mark III review | Digital Camera World

08-12-2021, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

From their review: “However, there are some clever features, including digital filters, in-camera HDR, multiple exposure, interval shooting and interval composite modes. The K-3 III may look dated in its physical features, but there’s still a lot to experiment with.”

I really have no idea what other manufacturers have going on but found it interesting that they seemed impressed with features that I believe the K-70 has despite some people feeling that the K-70 is getting long in the tooth.

The K-3iii seems like a great camera. My only issue would be the price. On the other hand it makes the K-1 seem more within my reach of I choose to ever step up from the K-70.
08-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
From their review: “However, there are some clever features, including digital filters, in-camera HDR, multiple exposure, interval shooting and interval composite modes. The K-3 III may look dated in its physical features, but there’s still a lot to experiment with.”

I really have no idea what other manufacturers have going on but found it interesting that they seemed impressed with features that I believe the K-70 has despite some people feeling that the K-70 is getting long in the tooth.

The K-3iii seems like a great camera. My only issue would be the price. On the other hand it makes the K-1 seem more within my reach of I choose to ever step up from the K-70.
My K-30 has those features too.
08-12-2021, 04:31 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
I really have no idea what other manufacturers have going on
Leading spec sheet numbers, more cameras more often, quicker obsolescence, more lenses , more accessories, more retail shelf space occupied, and more market share.

08-12-2021, 05:41 PM - 6 Likes   #5

I'm a longtime user of Pentax camera and the entry level Pentax since they offered all I wanted, I might have been tempted to go upward because of the lack of grip ( my k70 is slightly too short for me to be comfortable for long period ) but my k70 is having issues with the aperture control. I only have two choice now, k70 again or k3iii. On all honesty I'm glad I don't have a plethora of camera to consider. K70 served me well and is still a really capable camera, but the space between the focus point was sometimes annoying. Long story short my k3iii is on its way and even if expensive, I know that the chances that Pentax put out a new model with minor updates is somewhat reassuring. Can't wait to see through the new viewfinder
08-13-2021, 02:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Password1234 Quote
I'm a longtime user of Pentax camera and the entry level Pentax since they offered all I wanted, I might have been tempted to go upward because of the lack of grip ( my k70 is slightly too short for me to be comfortable for long period ) but my k70 is having issues with the aperture control. I only have two choice now, k70 again or k3iii. On all honesty I'm glad I don't have a plethora of camera to consider. K70 served me well and is still a really capable camera, but the space between the focus point was sometimes annoying. Long story short my k3iii is on its way and even if expensive, I know that the chances that Pentax put out a new model with minor updates is somewhat reassuring. Can't wait to see through the new viewfinder
There is also the KP which has a battery grip available. And cheaper than the K3III...
08-13-2021, 03:10 AM   #7

It is discontinued and not available new where I live.

08-13-2021, 06:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax K-3 Mark III is a good, solid, powerful DSLR, but one with a design that’s rooted in the past and a price tag that just adds insult to injury. If you love the Pentax brand and the DSLR design, you could probably forgive it for all of that, but it’s hard to see how this camera could attract anyone from outside the Pentax fold.

Fair enough. Design consistency within a brand is typically a good thing. Getting people to switch brands with something as expensive as an SLR system isn't likely. Attracting people new to the SLR world is always the holy grail for marketing - and Pentax does lag behind in that range at least in the US.
08-13-2021, 07:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

"adds insult to injury". I suspect using a Pentax is an insult to the "reviewer".
08-13-2021, 07:55 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DCW's Inconsistent Reviews

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"adds insult to injury". I suspect using a Pentax is an insult to the "reviewer".
Adding "Insult to injury" seems to be the overall tone of the review's subjective assessment.

It's hard to fathom how these reviews treat the K-3 Mark III in relation to other cameras.

Within the past couple of days, Digital Camera World published a glowing review of their new darling, the Nikon Z fc: Nikon Z fc review: old-school style meets cutting-edge tech | Digital Camera World

According to DCW, while the Z fc has numerous positive aspects, it's notably inferior to the K-3 Mark III in key image-quality metrics of resolution, dynamic range, and signal-to-noise characteristics. It has serious compromises in ergonomics and handling, and noise issues start at ISO 3200. It uses a relatively low-resolution, old-design sensor. There is a shortage of DX Z-mount lenses. Conveniently, the review omits some important details, such as its maximum shutter speed of 1/4000s; single UHS-I card; 11 fps is for 12-bit RAW; and a relatively low battery capacity provides only 300 shots per charge. It's certainly hard to find the "cutting-edge tech" that the title proclaims.

Inconsistently, DCW criticizes the Pentax for specifications in which they praise the Z fc, which has equal or worse performance (e.g., burst rate; buffer capacity; high-ISO characteristics). Yet, the "recommended" Z fc is rated 4.5 stars and garners a conclusion that "the Nikon Z fc is a camera oozing with both style as well as substance." The ultimate platitude: "If you dig the retro aesthetic, it’s worth every penny," (despite its serious drawbacks?). Of course, the review doesn't dare to suggest explicitly that it's hard to see how the camera could attract anyone from outside the 'Nikon fold'.

Like we've seen in other reviews, the K-3 Mark III is penalized for its price, lack of moveable screen, and for being a DSLR. It's too bad that the cursory review didn't give more details on the user experience, apart from the numerical comparisons. Furthermore, like other reviews, it fails to provide a balanced analysis of the value propositions of the various camera systems, nor does it counter with a thoughtful analysis of what they think would be a 'reasonable' price point for the K-3 Mark III.

The DCW review highlights numerous strong points about the K-3 III. Unfortunately, the glib subjective comments detract and distract from an otherwise positive overview.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 08-13-2021 at 10:06 AM.
08-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon using old sensors? Say it ain't so!
Style over substance and high prices don't deter Fuji buyers, either. While I'm attracted to the old-school aesthetic, I'm highly deterred by the price of entry to the Fuji or Nikon Z systems.

One thing I though I wouldn't like on the K3III is the GPS tethering to my phone. Turns out, it's really convenient. I don't have to remember to hit the GPS button when in the field. iNaturalist automatically pulls that information, as does Flickr.
Oh, and sealing is very nice in the field - so is a great viewfinder because full sun and LCD viewfinders often don't play well together.
08-13-2021, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I generally find the statement a bit off. Design is a subjective process. Dslr isn’t gone yet, some people have difficulties understanding that.
08-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
I generally find the statement a bit off. Design is a subjective process. Dslr isn’t gone yet, some people have difficulties understanding that.
The insult, it seems, is having a choice different than his. Such people should be condemned to live in a world without choice.
08-14-2021, 05:38 AM   #14
dlhawes

I found this amusing:
08-14-2021, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

He's gone off Pentax I see... let's hope forever!