Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2021, 02:04 AM - 3 Likes   #1

A very nice review of K-3 iii from Japan Kitamura website

Hey, I thought I would like to share the review from Japan Kitamura website, they are in Japanese but all photos are very very beautiful.

?????? K-3 Mark III ????????????????

08-13-2021, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The photos are really far above the usual photos that sites like DP Review post with their reviews.
08-13-2021, 02:27 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Nice photos, but they are a bit overprocessed to show what comes out of the camera IMHO.
08-13-2021, 02:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Nice photos, but they are a bit overprocessed to show what comes out of the camera IMHO.
You are right, but this Japanese photographer has a very good aesthetic sense

08-13-2021, 02:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice pics. Japan has such a culture of picture taking, perhaps more than any other country on earth. The more I look, I more I realize that K3 III image quality is pretty close to K1 image quality, K3 III having better autofocus, faster frame rate and 4K vid. rec. It's unfair for K1 owners __
08-13-2021, 02:42 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kinkindoll Quote
You are right, but this Japanese photographer has a very good aesthetic sense
Aesthetic sense or not, this is not what comes out of the K-3 Mark III. It actually makes the review worthless. But then, which review is not? So I agree with Ishpuini. If you want to review be honest and show us what the camera can do, not if you are a postprocessing wizard.
08-13-2021, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If you want to review be honest and show us what the camera can do, not if you are a postprocessing wizard.
First color science is likely consistent with Pentax template (all cameras pretty much render the same for the same Pentax jpeg style selected). As for image quality, for well exposed images, you won't see what even an apsc camera can do in a web page article. The image quality of apsc is far superior than what 800px image can show on display. I printed 20x30" from my K3 + Tamron 17-50 @ f5.6 and my eyes can't detect any lack of detail / sharpness. Newer Pentax DA* are no doubt better than my Tamy 17-50.

NB: seen Steve McCurry 2x3 and 4x3 meter large prints gallery. It was quite humbling experience. I thought, if I don't get good pictures, it certainly isn't because of the Pentax camera, any Pentax model from the last five years exceed the performance of what Steve McCurry used for his most famous images.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-13-2021 at 03:07 AM.
08-13-2021, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

It's a bad review, it doesn't mention the price even once, less alone the required dozen times!

Seriously refreshing.
08-13-2021, 10:55 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Aesthetic sense or not, this is not what comes out of the K-3 Mark III. It actually makes the review worthless. But then, which review is not? So I agree with Ishpuini. If you want to review be honest and show us what the camera can do, not if you are a postprocessing wizard.
Does it? If the camera is capable of giving you the raw material (pun intended) for beautiful shots, processed or not, that's good enough. If the camera's IQ was bad, no amount of post would save the photos.

Although, honestly, I'd argue that there's no point in showing the IQ of any camera of the last 6-10 years. It will exceed the needs of 99.9% of users.
08-13-2021, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a well done review. You cannot tell much about any camera from photos posted on the web but the thoughtful comments of an obviously skilled photographer are invaluable. That is what we get in this review.
Remarkably, the English translation is not as bad as most. Another plus for the review.
08-13-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everyone has their style. Some might want to emulate that style. Here's the information that lets them know they can get'r done.
If they want to know about someone else's style, then find a review done by someone like them.
The fact that it may not be right for you doesn't mean it's not right for everyone.

While I may not go as far as the author, I've noted a lot of Fuji files look like that. The hing that Pentax has always done is create a flat file Ssving as much information as possible that can be worked on. You won't sell much of any brand showing un post processed images.

---------- Post added 08-13-21 at 03:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Remarkably, the English translation is not as bad as most. Another plus for the review.
Thanks for the tip/ It really is quite acceptable.

Last edited by normhead; 08-14-2021 at 05:18 AM.
08-13-2021, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Thanks for the tip. I agree -- reads quite well in English.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You won't sell much of any brand showing un post processed images.
Agreed. I think that showing various 'flat' images as well as processed ones is important. The processed images can reflect a photographer's approaches to certain scenes and emotions.

Although some of the images in the review are not quite to my personal taste, I enjoyed browsing and reading the author's perspectives on his photographic experience.

Edit. In the Summary, the photographer says "The appeal of the K-3 Mark III cannot be described in a single word. Not only the image quality, but also the sense of unity with the camera when picked up and the operability are packed with many elements that motivate shooting. It is difficult to fully understand the appeal of the K-3 Mark III just by looking at the catalogs and examples."

It occurs to me that many, if not all, of the recent published reviews of the K-3 Mark III lack this type of nuance.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 08-13-2021 at 01:24 PM.
08-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While certainly not a "technical" review, it is valuable in what it transports about the user experience and the camera's potential as a creative tool in the hands of a clearly capable photographer. There should be a place in the gear review genre for this kind of approach, both as an alternative and a complement to the more technical reviews. It certainly appeals to me, but other people's mileage may vary.
08-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are really nice compositions.
08-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #15
JPT
Pentaxian

Kitamura is a camera retailer, so I think we need to remember their motive for posting reviews in the first place. They want to make people come back to their website, desire the camera, click through and buy it. So I wouldn't expect them to be critical or focused on making comparisons with other cameras. If you read them with that in mind, they are enjoyable and let you know what the camera can do in the hands of a skilled professional.

There are few really outstanding shots in there. The one I like best is the rocky island in the mist.