Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
The Pentax was the only one in the group that has a pentaprism, the rest have mirrors. They didn't mention that in the comparison.
Now, that would be a surprise. The Canon 6D has a pentaprism, for example. Did you mean that most of the rest were mirrorless*?

* – I still find it odd that a camera technology is defined by what it isn’t.

08-16-2021, 11:21 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hahahahahaha! Someone pass them another case of beer…
08-17-2021, 04:59 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I still find it odd that a camera technology is defined by what it isn’t.
Its the current fashion - everything is defined by what it isn't, because everything is bad. "-less" has become a trendy suffix. Because everything causes cancer, makes you fat, fries your brain, kills fairies etc. Solvent-free paint, mercury-free batteries, meat-free food, gluten-free cereal, sugarless everything - my daughter seems to believe that sugar is poisonous, and my local supermarket has an entire aisle of "Free-From" branded food.

No wonder mirrors are bad.
08-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The K3III is narrower, thinner, shorter and weighs less ... yet it is "bulkier" than the D500 ???
I've handled an old D500 recently: it just feels BULKY and heavy!
Yeah, but it's a Nikon!! You can't criticise Nikon!

Still ,their brief summary is to be welcomed for the absence of the disclaimer that usually accompanies any mention of Pentax on DPR: that it's only suitable for existing Pentax users and that no-one should switch systems for it or choose Pentax when first getting into digital photography.

08-17-2021, 12:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
False words will never change my respect for Pentax.
08-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now, that would be a surprise. The Canon 6D has a pentaprism, for example. Did you mean that most of the rest were mirrorless*?

* – I still find it odd that a camera technology is defined by what it isn’t.
I think what was meant is that most use a pentamirror and not a prism. Obviously not including mirrorless since they don't have a mirror or prism at all.
08-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I think what was meant is that most use a pentamirror and not a prism. Obviously not including mirrorless since they don't have a mirror or prism at all.
That’s what I thought at first, but the other DSLRs I saw in the list don’t have pentamirrors.

08-19-2021, 05:42 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That’s what I thought at first, but the other DSLRs I saw in the list don’t have pentamirrors.
Fair enough. But perhaps it's the stigma that the companies do use pentamirrors so it's an automatic assumption.
08-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must have read a different review, it only had 3 or 4 cameras. Should have checked before posting
08-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Of the things they "don't like," the K-3 III is "relatively bulky." The bulkier and heavier Nikon D500 is also listed in the Guide, but gets a pass on this point, being described as "impressively lightweight."

- Craig
My theory is that DPReview has a different definition of "bulky" than most people. It's probably a dog-whistle word meaning "not-Nikon", "not-Canon", or "not-Leica".
08-21-2021, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
My theory is that DPReview has a different definition of "bulky" than most people. It's probably a dog-whistle word meaning "not-Nikon", "not-Canon", or "not-Leica".
I have posted comments there when DPR have claimed certain lenses are "compact" when they're obviously anything but. What they usually really mean is "compact for a modern, super-sharp from corner to corner ultra-wide, super fast" lens, which basically means anything that can be handled reasonably well by an average person under the age of 50 who does regular exercise. It's certainly not a definition of "compact" by my book.