Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2021, 12:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's no evidence that the camera learns "on the fly" as one takes photographs. Unless there are conclusive and unambiguous statements to the contrary, not marketing fluff, I think we can be certain that all K-3IIIs with the same firmware behave exactly the same.

08-22-2021, 03:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Would the K3III be able to "learn" while in AF.S mode rather than in AF.C and "extrapolate" this learning to AF.C ?
That is a question you must put to Ricoh, not me.
08-22-2021, 03:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Absolutely not.
If you say so!
08-22-2021, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Having to re-enter carefully crafted User Modes is pain enough (why oh why can't we save and load User Modes to/from SD card?),

I have been wanting THIS for years.

08-24-2021, 08:17 AM   #20

It means that before long, a blind person will be able to take better photos than you do. To me the whole experience is fast becoming a joke; you might as well pay someone to go out and take your photos for you for all the pleasure there will be in the execution.
08-24-2021, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #21
snm

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If you say so!
You are most likely getting a pre-trained model within the software that might get future updates through firmware updates. It is very highly unlikely that the user can "train" his camera, because he can just as easily "de-train" his model to perform worse than initially intended. And since the casual user is not a part of (nor he should be) model training and development team, it would not make sense to release such a function for a consumer device. Your examples with banking systems are different, since interpreting and supervising text labels from transactional data (with recurring/templatable patterns) is much different (and simpler) from general photography/image recognition and the methods involved.
08-24-2021, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thwyllo Quote
It means that before long, a blind person will be able to take better photos than you do. To me the whole experience is fast becoming a joke; you might as well pay someone to go out and take your photos for you for all the pleasure there will be in the execution.
I came to that conclusion when the scientists were able to cut out the process where you had to expose your glass plates to mercury vapor before taking your Daguerreotypes. If you're not ingesting heavy metals, is it really photography? Anybody can take a picture if the glass plates aren't a threat to your life and all you have to do is remove the lens cap and light the powder in the flash tray. Kids these days...

08-24-2021, 09:49 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snm Quote
You are most likely getting a pre-trained model within the software that might get future updates through firmware updates. It is very highly unlikely that the user can "train" his camera, because he can just as easily "de-train" his model to perform worse than initially intended. And since the casual user is not a part of (nor he should be) model training and development team, it would not make sense to release such a function for a consumer device. Your examples with banking systems are different, since interpreting and supervising text labels from transactional data (with recurring/templatable patterns) is much different (and simpler) from general photography/image recognition and the methods involved.
To expand on this, Microsoft Money or a home thermostat gets additional information from you every time you override one of its decisions. Basically, they have a pre-trained algorithm that gets better as you give it more data. (No, you silly thermostat, I want it warmer now!…Don’t auto-fill that amount, because this bill varies from month-to-month!) You have no way of telling the camera “Good job, K-3 iii! You nailed focus on this one!” or “Silly $2000 block of circuits! Why on earth did you focus on the plant at the edge of the stage rather than the eyes of the dancers up there!” (OK, the latter problem is user error, now that I think about it. I’m pretty sure the dancers’ eyes were above the line where the AF points stop.) Without that way of providing feedback, there’s no way for the camera to learn on the fly. (Plus, the CPU is underpowered for that sort of task. The amount of overheating that would happen if a camera body contained a powerful enough CPU for training an algorithm like this would be scary.)
08-24-2021, 09:37 PM - 4 Likes   #24

Umm...

Deep learning is just for "Firmware development" not YOUR each Camera.

OpenCV: Cascade Classifier
OpenCV: samples/cpp/facedetect.cpp

for Face detection and Eye-AF, a Trained modeling data is needed. This data is already included in firmware binary file. (and will be any datafile of filesystem in DSLR Flash Memory).

and detection performance(speed,accuracy...) is depend on that modeling data is Well-trained or not.
Trained modeling data is made by (psudo code: ) train(many many face photos) method.

Mr.Wakashiro, Chief of Dev.team for PENTAX K-3 Mark III said "if needed, any firmware may be made for specific purpose like for airplane detection... " on CP+2021. This means same to my opinion.

btw, I'm sure PENTAX may use OpenCV by SC2000, just my think. lol
(Don't trust. PENTAX never officially said "we use SC2000". lol)

Last edited by phowon; 08-24-2021 at 10:04 PM.
08-25-2021, 02:36 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think others have commented, but my understanding was that over time Pentax would release better firmware updates based on data that they use to help fine tune the auto focus system. It isn't that any individual camera is reading the Internet while you are asleep and getting smarter...

(Does anyone actually get smarter by reading the Internet, except in movies?)
08-25-2021, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(Does anyone actually get smarter by reading the Internet, except in movies?)
Of course they do. Often I will almost randomly pull up wikipedia pages and read about, well, last night it was the extinct Beothuk language of Newfoundland. Before that it was the history of San Marino. It's like when I was a kid and I'd read my grandmother's 1948 World Book Encyclopedia, except this one is far more comprehensive and not 30-something years out of date.
08-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Of course they do. Often I will almost randomly pull up wikipedia pages and read about, well, last night it was the extinct Beothuk language of Newfoundland. Before that it was the history of San Marino. It's like when I was a kid and I'd read my grandmother's 1948 World Book Encyclopedia, except this one is far more comprehensive and not 30-something years out of date.
Maybe so. I don't find most people are actually broadening their horizons by learning about history or new skills. They seem mostly to dwell on news sites that reinforce their conceptions of how the world works and social media.
08-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Does anyone actually get smarter by reading the Internet, …

Smarter? … no, I'm plenty smart enough as it is, smart enough to use the internet to source genuine information whilst still being able to recognise mis-information when I see it
08-25-2021, 08:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe so. I don't find most people are actually broadening their horizons by learning about history or new skills. They seem mostly to dwell on news sites that reinforce their conceptions of how the world works and social media.
I'm sure that's right, but if it was 1930 they'd just be listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio instead of inventing penicillin or reading Proust or whatever.
08-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I'm sure that's right, but if it was 1930 they'd just be listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio instead of inventing penicillin or reading Proust or whatever.

Haha
I wonder if the Lone Ranger needed a mask on radio