Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2021, 06:03 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-3 III JPEG buffer size

Colleagues, one more question, if I may.
What is the real capacity of the K-3 III buffer at different shooting speeds when shooting in JPEG?

08-22-2021, 05:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The "real capacity" depends on the subject matter, focus, and exposure settings. Images with highly-detailed subjects, sharply-focused, and shot at high ISO take up a lot more buffer space than smooth subjects, out-of-focus, at low ISO.
08-24-2021, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #3

Mechanical Shutter

Up to 12 fps at 25.7 MP for up to 37 Frames (JPEG) / 32 Frames (Raw)
Mechanical Shutter
Up to 7 fps at 25.7 MP for up to 60 Frames (JPEG) / 37 Frames (Raw)
Mechanical Shutter
Up to 2.5 fps at 25.7 MP for up to 90 Frames (JPEG) / 39 Frames (Raw)

This is copy pasted from BHphoto's spec listing for the K-3iii.

I find that in 12 fps mode I get 32 RAW files just like it says. 30 real fast and then as the buffer is full and the camera bogs down 2 more shots are allowed then the camera is basically useless until the buffer clears. Which takes a long time. Long enough you will miss a shot if you are shooting action and not stationary targets like rocks and trees. I have not tried to set the FPS to a lower burst mode to see if it bogs down and becomes unusable, I would assume the numbers are dead on exact. I would get 35 RAWs at 7 FPS with 2 more as the buffer fills and the camera craps out and stops shooting.

Replace the RAW numbers with the JPGS numbers and that's what you should get.

The biggest problem is when the buffer clogs it eventually stops the camera from taking images. That's with a UHS-II card.
08-24-2021, 02:01 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope, it does not? At least I never got this issue. When camera slows down (you can hear it) all you need to do is to release a finger for a moment and press again. You get additional 5-6 frames and higher speed when part of buffer is cleared. Can repeat it till you run out of card space. Also when you stop buffer clears really fast to zero. '

Maybe your card is an issue here? Not all UHS-II cards have same writing speed. I have U3/C10/V90 so it is fastest UHS-II available currently. I am not really sure what protocols are used to clear buffer, but it really clears fast and I never saw my camera being unusable. The moment buffer is full I release shutter and press it again - it works.

08-24-2021, 07:53 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Nope, it does not? At least I never got this issue. When camera slows down (you can hear it) all you need to do is to release a finger for a moment and press again. You get additional 5-6 frames and higher speed when part of buffer is cleared. Can repeat it till you run out of card space. Also when you stop buffer clears really fast to zero. '

Maybe your card is an issue here? Not all UHS-II cards have same writing speed. I have U3/C10/V90 so it is fastest UHS-II available currently. I am not really sure what protocols are used to clear buffer, but it really clears fast and I never saw my camera being unusable. The moment buffer is full I release shutter and press it again - it works.

I bought a SanDisk Extreme Pro 300MB/s U3/C10/V90. I don't know what would be faster? I am not investing more money into anything else because the camera can't keep up with the card. It's not the card that can't keep up with the camera. I don't think there is a difference when using a UHS-I Sandisk Extreme Pro 170MB/s U3/C10/V30 card.

My K-3III craps out after 30 RAW frames. It shoots 2 more RAW frames after the buffer fills with the initial 30 RAW frames at a extremely reduced rate and if you remove your finger from the shutter it takes multiple seconds to clear so you can shoot again. The gap is long enough if you are shooting anything that moves it will be gone by the time the buffer clears. Be that a person walking, a car driving, a bicycle rider. Whatever it is. You miss the shot when the buffer is full because the camera can't shoot.
08-25-2021, 12:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The camera should allow you to shoot well before emptying its entire buffer.
08-25-2021, 01:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does. It should not block even if it runs out of buffer, just slow down and shot when buffer is cleaned enough for another one or two shots. Here it is how it looks like on my K-3/3, on burst Hi (soft 1.10):