Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2021, 04:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3iii bulb mode?

That guys video got me thinking about overheating. (I know he's a troll but still a legit concern). I do a lot of light painting, where your camera will be on bulb easily for 5 or 10 minutes. Anyone done long bulb exposures with their K3 iii, how'd it go?

08-25-2021, 05:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think it took about 20 minutes in video mode (not always recording, but a lot of recording and with the screen on) before I even got an alert that temps were rising and I should watch out. (I finished before I got a heat shutdown, so not sure how long that would take.) I would expect bulb mode is less taxing from a heat perspective as the CPU isn’t having to process video.

You might also consider the multiple exposure mode, which on the K-3 iii is pretty advanced. You can set it up to save a an image (including DNG) from each exposure (as well as the final composite…and perhaps even each intermediate shot), and after each exposure, it asks you if you like what the composite looks like and are done, if you like what you have so far but want to add another exposure, or if you think adding the last exposure was a mistake and you want it thrown out but to continue the process.
08-25-2021, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since the video is off, screen is off, and sensor isn't digitizing, just accumulating photons with the shutter open and mirror up, I would expect no issues. Battery drain of course due to holding the mirror up and shutter open. So the battery will warm up. To reduce noise, consider using battery grip for power, to keep battery heat out of the body.
08-25-2021, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Battery drain of course due to holding the mirror up and shutter open
Not actually for these two, but for holding the lens aperture open.

I will be reporting on power drain during exposure in the next couple of days. For A lenses and newer, the power use during an exposure is the same as when the camera is in idle, if the aperture is wide open. It is only when the lens gets stopped down that the power use is higher. Of course, activating mirror up/down and shutter open/close does draw quite a power surge, with current draw of 2 or 3 amps! (but only for a few milliseconds)

08-25-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Not actually for these two, but for holding the lens aperture open.

I will be reporting on power drain during exposure in the next couple of days. For A lenses and newer, the power use during an exposure is the same as when the camera is in idle, if the aperture is wide open. It is only when the lens gets stopped down that the power use is higher. Of course, activating mirror up/down and shutter open/close does draw quite a power surge, with current draw of 2 or 3 amps! (but only for a few milliseconds)
I love that you have measured this somehow.

I'm not at all worried about the usual battery drain stuff with long exposures, just want to make sure that it can do them.