Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2021, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Optyczne.pl review of K-3 III

Test Pentax K-3 III - Wst

These are the Lenstip folks, and unfortunately they don't translate their camera tests from Polish to English.

Here's the DeepL translation of the Summary:

To sum up the K-3 III test, in our opinion Pentaks cameras do not try to compete with the most modern designs on the market. The brand has its own, after all, small niche of customers for whom it creates products. People who like and are used to taking pictures with DSLRs have a good chance of liking the K-3 III. An important element, which is an optical viewfinder in this type of camera, has been really refined and gives a really good comfort of framing. The performance of the sensor does not give reasons to complain either. However, we will find them during dynamic shooting. In this category the K-3 III simply gives way to modern mirrorless cameras.

If we are looking for the closest competitor of the tested DSLR, it's easy to point to Nikon D500, because there are a lot of similarities between these models. Only that the D500 was presented, bagatela, 5 years ago. It would be much better for Pentaks K-3 III if it also had its premiere at that time.

In overall autofocus performance, they rate the K-3 III only slightly behind the Nikon D500, but further behind the Fuji X-T4 (the two cameras used for comparison purposes).

09-02-2021, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
These are the Lenstip folks, and unfortunately they don't translate their camera tests from Polish to English.

Er, which is probably not all that great a loss to the photography world, in my humble opinion.

I used to read their tests and conclusions with casual to medium interest, but after they had essentially trashed a whole array of Pentax classics like the DA21, DA15, and FA31 Limiteds, it dawned on me that their laboratory assessments had little relevance to the fun and the aesthetic appeal of the photographic results that could be had with those lenses. Concepts like rendering, microcontrast, 3-D pop, and human sensory evaluation of actual photographs are completely lost on those folks, as is the case with many laboratory testers.

As for their Pentax camera reviews, I can't really comment on them because I've read so few of them. From the translation of their conclusions on the K-3 III, I get the impression that they may not even be fundamentally wrong about Pentax DSLRs no longer competing with the most modern designs on the market, as it would only mirror what Ricoh representatives have stated themselves (think: brand mission videos etc.). It is more the implied backwardness and inferiority of something like the K-3 III as a photographic tool that I take exception to, I guess. When I'm interested in the K-3 III as a gear proposition, it doesn't really matter to me whether it outperforms the D500. What I'm interested in is more if Ricoh has released a camera that is fast and focus-grabbing enough to give me reasonable keeper rates for action, sports, and wildlife, and if there are somehow affordable lenses in the pipeline that can keep up with those capabilities. And shockingly enough, at the end of the day, significantly better high ISO and the refined OVF might matter at least as much to me as the AF improvements.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 09-02-2021 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Nuance.
09-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our member @BarneyL summarized this review in an earlier thread: K-3 III Lenstip's review - PentaxForums.com

In overall autofocus performance, they rate the K-3 III only slightly behind the Nikon D500, but further behind the Fuji X-T4 (the two cameras used for comparison purposes).

I read most of the review through Google Translate. I am surprised by the results of their Autofocus tests. I didn't see that they calibrated the lenses through an AF Fine Adjustment, and such a calibration procedure does not seem to be described in another page on their testing methodology. I would be surprised if they missed such a basic procedure, but it's not clear.

- Craig
09-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Our member @BarneyL summarized this review in an earlier thread: K-3 III Lenstip's review - PentaxForums.com

I read most of the review through Google Translate. I am surprised by the results of their Autofocus tests. I didn't see that they calibrated the lenses through an AF Fine Adjustment, and such a calibration procedure does not seem to be described in another page on their testing methodology. I would be surprised if they missed such a basic procedure, but it's not clear.

- Craig
If they judge AF to be just behind D500 it's unlikely they had a poorly calibrated setup don't you think? No reviews so far have suggested the K-3III bests the D500, everyone says it's just behind.

09-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Ah, thanks for pointing out - I had not looked for "Lenstip".

Hopefully a mod will come by and shut down this thread.
09-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
If they judge AF to be just behind D500 it's unlikely they had a poorly calibrated setup don't you think? No reviews so far have suggested the K-3III bests the D500, everyone says it's just behind.
Yes, it's possible that they calibrated the lens, but that would be an assumption on our part. Maybe they use and test the cameras 'straight out of the box.' The review report would have been stronger if they had mentioned this procedure. I think it's important, because the mirrorless X-T4 does not require a focus calibration. I'm not debating the outcome of their test, just trying to understand it and their test conditions.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-02-2021 at 03:26 PM.
09-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

However, we will find them during dynamic shooting.
Is there an alternative translation for this sentence? What, exactly, is "dynamic shooting"?

Steve

09-02-2021, 05:21 PM - 4 Likes   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is there an alternative translation for this sentence? What, exactly, is "dynamic shooting"?

Steve
Colleague, Polish words "dynamicznego fotografowania" mean shooting highly mobile (fast moving) objects.
09-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #9
sbc
Pentaxian

Cameraville mentioned a 4th firmware update relating to AF. Maybe that will improve its performance.
09-02-2021, 11:05 PM - 5 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
Cameraville mentioned
Stop mentioning that Pentax-bashing clown.
If there is some information about Pentax, it will appear here.
09-03-2021, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
sbc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Stop mentioning that Pentax-bashing clown.
If there is some information about Pentax, it will appear here.
That is your personal opinion. I can mention anyone I like. This is a forum. Freedom of speech? Never heard of it?
09-03-2021, 02:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

This is a forum. Freedom of speech? Never heard of it?
Freedom of speech is not applicable to any privately owned platform or fora. Just try exercising freedom of speech at a job in say retail...
09-03-2021, 03:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

That is your personal opinion. I can mention anyone I like. This is a forum. Freedom of speech? Never heard of it?
Both of my claims are facts.
And here's another: you don't understand what this freedom of speech actually is. Yes, I can disagree with you. No, it doesn't only works in your favor.

By the way, a fourth (and fifth, sixth, seventh...) firmware update will surely come. This is a high-end camera, which won't be replaced soon, and there are still more bugfixes and improvements to be done.
09-03-2021, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #14
sbc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Both of my claims are facts.
And here's another: you don't understand what this freedom of speech actually is. Yes, I can disagree with you. No, it doesn't only works in your favor.

By the way, a fourth (and fifth, sixth, seventh...) firmware update will surely come. This is a high-end camera, which won't be replaced soon, and there are still more bugfixes and improvements to be done.
You can type whatever you want here. I don't tell you what you can or cannot do. Likewise everyone else has the freedom to type what he/she wants here, as long as it is not vulgar, sexist or racist, etc.

You don't control this forum.

Last edited by sbc; 09-03-2021 at 03:19 AM.
09-03-2021, 03:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

So? Now you are going to tell me what I can or cannot type here? I have not typed anything racist or vulgar.
Haha, how could you interpret that as me even suggesting what you should or shouldn't say!? You just made an odd statement about freedom of speech in a context where it's not applicable and I pointed it out. I do agree with you that Kunsite shouldn't try to shut people down just because he's annoyed by someone on the internet.