Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2021, 08:31 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is anyone else excited about greater than 30 second manual exposures?

I mentioned this in another thread, but it's getting drowned out there. I was setting up my K3iii for a night shot last night, and accidentally rolled the exposure past 30 seconds. This is a HUGE bonus for me. Yes, I can take super long exposures with bulb mode, but for a lot of night work, being able to dial up an exact long exposure time is super handy.

I am pleased!!!

EDIT: see below, this is actually a feature in bulb mode, and some of the other new bodies have it. Super neat, really useful feature!

Last edited by bobbotron; 09-09-2021 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Typo
09-09-2021, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I mentioned this in another thread, but it's getting drowned out there. I was setting up my K3iii for a night shot last night, and accidentally rolled the exposure past 30 seconds. This is a HUGE bonus for me. Yes, I can take super long exposures with bulb mode, but for a lot of night work, being able to dial up an exact long exposure time is super handy.

I am pleased!!!
It's not something within my own use cases, but I can absolutely appreciate the utility of it, and why you and others would be so pleased. Great feature!
09-09-2021, 08:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Seems to me that should be easy to roll out in a K1 firmware update, but I won't hold my breathe. Nice feature that I would use if I had a K3iii.
09-09-2021, 08:54 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What's funny is this could be available on pretty much any digital camera. I was complaining about this to a friend of mine a day or two ago, we had a good laugh when I realized that the K3iii supports longer exposures.

We were out on a group light painting meet up last night, a lot of people didn't have a built in trigger/bulb T mode ability so they were limited to 30 second exposures.

09-09-2021, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Seems to me that should be easy to roll out in a K1 firmware update, but I won't hold my breathe. Nice feature that I would use if I had a K3iii.
Don't the K-70/K-1 and newer all have the ability to use a specific dialed time in Bulb? For some reason I thought they did...
09-09-2021, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

The KP also has something similar, you can use a timed bulb with up to 30 minutes exposure time if i'm not mistaken.
09-09-2021, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-1ii has it, are you up to date on firmware? I thought the original K-1 had this as well. Check: go into bulb mode, press the green button and scroll past 30 seconds....

I am pleased!!!
It's nice to find a new feature, and you have a use case for it.

The other night I was doing some Milkyway shooting in bulb and wondered why I had trailing, with GPS on and calibrated. I eventually realised I had not turned AstroTracer on, this feature indicating over 30 seconds fooled me for a bit.

09-09-2021, 09:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, I'd be excited for this feature if i had the new k3. Because whenever i set up for a long exposure with the k1ii it's fiddly to go between metered mode and bulb if i need a little more than 30s (usually around a minute)

Reading your post again: are you talking about bulb with long timer or does M now support exposure above 30s? My reply above is for the latter
09-09-2021, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Yes, I'd be excited for this feature if i had the new k3. Because whenever i set up for a long exposure with the k1ii it's fiddly to go between metered mode and bulb if i need a little more than 30s (usually around a minute)

Reading your post again: are you talking about bulb with long timer or does M now support exposure above 30s? My reply above is for the latter
My apologies! I had this wrong, it's actually Bulb mode where you can do this. DERP.

Go to bulb mode, press the green button and it gives you the option to dial up to a 20 minute exposure. Press green button again and it'll go to normal bulb operation. I actually kind of like this. Easy enough to do, but makes it intentional that you're dialing up a huge exposure.
09-09-2021, 09:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

My apologies! I had this wrong, it's actually Bulb mode where you can do this. DERP.
Ah got it. I remember I also noticed this nice feature when I moved from k3ii to k1ii. So I guess I'm grumbling about nothing, it IS nice to just dial in a timer even if it requires bulb to be selected (but I wish M would go above 30s too)
09-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Go to bulb mode, press the green button and it gives you the option to dial up to a 20 minute exposure. Press green button again and it'll go to normal bulb operation. I actually kind of like this. Easy enough to do, but makes it intentional that you're dialing up a huge exposure.
Yeah! I have used it several times with K-1. It does not perform as well as dedicated remote trigger(also in bulb mode) but it is handy for sure.
09-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

My apologies! I had this wrong, it's actually Bulb mode where you can do this. DERP.Go to bulb mode, press the green button and it gives you the option to dial up to a 20 minute exposure.
K1 and K1II do that.
09-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
So I guess I'm grumbling about nothing, it IS nice to just dial in a timer even if it requires bulb to be selected (but I wish M would go above 30s too)
Although you are in bulb mode, you can fire the shutter with the shutter button, you don't need a remote so it is manual in effect.
09-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
K1 and K1II do that.
Neat. Before this I owned a K3 and K-01. It's a nice functional upgrade.
09-09-2021, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-1 and KP both have it too. I believe it debuted on the K-1.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: