Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Metz flash unit on Pentax K-3 Mk. iii

Something stupid, probably.

I tried to use my Metz 44 AF-1 on the K-3 Mk. iii, but I cannot connect the flash unit. If I try to make the settings in the menu, to set up the flash, I get the message that this setting is not available in the mode I am using. But I can't find any mode, that allows me to set up the flash unit. Always worked fine with the K-5.
I tried it with and without the flash connected, switched on/off, flash switched on first, than camera and vice versa... Nothing works.
Do I need a compatible flash unit connected, and is the (discontinued) AF-1 not compatible?

Who knows the solution?

09-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There's no reason that I'm aware of that any flashgun that works with the K-5 wouldn't work on the K-3iii.
When you say "the settings in the menu", what settings are you referring to?
If you put the camera into Program mode, fit the flashgun in the hotshoe, switch on the camera then switch on the flashgun, does the little "lightning flash" symbol appear in the viewfinder when the "Ready" lamp lights on the flashgun?
Do you still have the K-5 to test the gun with, to see if it still works?
09-20-2021, 12:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
There's no reason that I'm aware of that any flashgun that works with the K-5 wouldn't work on the K-3iii.
When you say "the settings in the menu", what settings are you referring to?
If you put the camera into Program mode, fit the flashgun in the hotshoe, switch on the camera then switch on the flashgun, does the little "lightning flash" symbol appear in the viewfinder when the "Ready" lamp lights on the flashgun?
Do you still have the K-5 to test the gun with, to see if it still works?
The flashgun works well with the K-5, no problem.
When I switch on the flashgun, the lightning flash symbol in the viewfinder appears, but with a strike-through.

When I go to page 2 of the menu, Exposure settings/flash mode, I read that "the settings are not available in this mode".
09-20-2021, 01:25 AM   #4
Unregistered User

Does the flash have the latest firmware?

09-20-2021, 01:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HanSch Quote
The flashgun works well with the K-5, no problem.
When I switch on the flashgun, the lightning flash symbol in the viewfinder appears, but with a strike-through.
OK … so the camera and the flash are communicating
QuoteQuote:
When I go to page 2 of the menu, Exposure settings/flash mode, I read that "the settings are not available in this mode".
Which Mode (on the Mode Wheel) is set when you get this message and is it true of all settings or just one or two?

Last edited by kypfer; 09-20-2021 at 01:48 AM.
09-20-2021, 01:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Does the flash have the latest firmware?
The Metz is out of production / support for years now.
There was , I believe , the site in Canada having still some firmware available for download , for Windows only , not sure if still active.
09-20-2021, 01:59 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
The Metz is out of production / support for years now.
There was , I believe , the site in Canada having still some firmware available for download , for Windows only , not sure if still active.
There is firmware to download that was released in February 2021

Firmware Updates – Metz

09-20-2021, 05:33 AM   #8
Unregistered User

I asked about the Metz and flashes and got the following answer:

"Good morning, Thomas,

Unfortunately, Metz has left the flash business completely as of last year. They are only making televisions and electric scooters now. Sad days for the flash industry.

The firmware you found will work on your flash. It doesn't change your flash language to German, but the program itself is in German. There is supposedly an English language version of that firmware updater on the Pentax forums, but I don't have access and nobody would send it to me.

Kind regards,
Will

Will Prentice
Technical Support Manager"

Ok, so that is that.
09-20-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I just compared the manuals of the K-5 (page 187) and K-3 III (page 119) and under circumstances you have more possibilties to use your AF1 or dedicated Pentax flash on the K-5 than on the K-3 III. Especially P-TTL is a bit more complicated on that new camera! So the question is what are your settings and what lens do you use!
09-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #10
pid
Pentaxian

maybe there are different sync times for flash like the K-1. I dont own the K3III, but maybe your flash just works with 180sec like the k-5
09-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all guys, for your time. I really appreciate it.
I checked the firmware update for the flashgun, and the "2021 release" update has files from 2016. I probably had the latest FW already, but I updated anyway. No success.
It doesn't matter what mode I select with the mode wheel, the problem persists in all modes. Also in "X" .
I tried several Pentax and Sigma lenses, no difference. The same with the settings on the flash, not only TTL, but also M. Camera says no.
I will contact the importer, for what it's worth.
Sad days indeed, that Metz left the flash business. Their excellent flash guns are in general a bit more robust than the Pentax competitors, unfortunately.
09-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HanSch Quote
Thank you all guys, for your time. I really appreciate it.
I checked the firmware update for the flashgun, and the "2021 release" update has files from 2016. I probably had the latest FW already, but I updated anyway. No success.
It doesn't matter what mode I select with the mode wheel, the problem persists in all modes. Also in "X" .
I tried several Pentax and Sigma lenses, no difference. The same with the settings on the flash, not only TTL, but also M. Camera says no.
I will contact the importer, for what it's worth.
Sad days indeed, that Metz left the flash business. Their excellent flash guns are in general a bit more robust than the Pentax competitors, unfortunately.
FYI I just tried on my K3iii and no issues with either the Metz 44-AF1 or Pentax 540FGZ. Both sync and fire.
09-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I think the fault lies with the K-3 III, not with the Metz flash. If it still works well with K-5 than it must be something in the camera that is not working as it should. As your camera is still under warranty I would put the problem to the seller of the camera. The importer Transcontinenta can do nothing for you, as Metz is out of business. You will have more success with claiming your warranty from Ricoh.
09-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #14
Unregistered User

I tested my 50 AF1 with latest fw on my K-3III without any problems. Cannot find my 44 AF1 to test...
09-21-2021, 12:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I think the fault lies with the K-3 III, not with the Metz flash. If it still works well with K-5 than it must be something in the camera that is not working as it should. As your camera is still under warranty I would put the problem to the seller of the camera. The importer Transcontinenta can do nothing for you, as Metz is out of business. You will have more success with claiming your warranty from Ricoh.
I didn't mean Transcontinenta as the importer, but Ricoh indeed.

But I found the solution, and it is something stupid (as I feared).....
Triggered by the comments of Kwong and Tjompen that their flashes do work, I realised that after I updated the camera's FW I left the shutter in the setting Electronic Release. That's the problem, and the solution is easy.
Thanks again everyone, for your comments.