Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to get SD card space on LCD?

Is there a way to get the approximate number of shots left to display on the top LCD, or in the view finder? My K3 had this, I really miss it on the K3iii.

09-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Is there a way to get the approximate number of shots left to display on the top LCD, or in the view finder? My K3 had this, I really miss it on the K3iii.
Page 16 of the user manual implies that "Image Storage Capacity" is an option for position 3 in the viewfinder and/or the LCD … unfortunately I can't find further reference as to exactly where that setting is adjusted!
Trawling through the menus and sub-menus may prove fruitful.
The figure you require is available on the Info screen, which is only a couple of button-presses away, not perfect but not totally inconvenient
09-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a way to get the approximate number of shots left to display on the top LCD
The 'image storage capacity' value (i.e., shots remaining) of the active card is usually displayed briefly (1-3 seconds?) on the LCD when the camera is powered on. Then it disappears, and the ISO value appears. Sometimes, the value is not displayed when the camera is powered on. I haven't been able to figure out the inconsistency. Perhaps it's a timing thing -- the camera needs to be off for a certain time.

The value is also displayed briefly on the LCD and in the viewfinder immediately after a shot is taken, which is a useful and timely indication.

I don't know whether the value can be displayed on command by the user.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-19-2021 at 06:07 PM.
09-19-2021, 07:27 PM   #4
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I do not know
My K100D Super usually says 999 ( I download and re format after each session ) using 8 and 16 gb cards ... the counter never gets off the :start" position.
It is displayed on the top lcd all the time

09-19-2021, 11:50 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
I do not know
My K100D Super usually says 999 ( I download and re format after each session ) using 8 and 16 gb cards ... the counter never gets off the :start" position.
It is displayed on the top lcd all the time
A limit of 3 digits because in the K100D era the SD-cards were a lot smaller (capacity) and more than 999 would never have been possible?
09-20-2021, 02:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
The value is also displayed briefly on the LCD and in the viewfinder immediately after a shot is taken, which is a useful and timely indication.
- Craig

Good info! I hadn't noticed that
09-20-2021, 01:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone know if there's an official way to send feedback to Pentax? I'd love to have this info where the AF mode info is currently on the top.

09-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #8
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
A limit of 3 digits because in the K100D era the SD-cards were a lot smaller (capacity) and more than 999 would never have been possible?
Hi Haenzel

In the manual it was expected you would use up to 1 gb cards, on 6 mega pixels that you could get 966 photos ( on best ) on a sd card.

How times have changed.

Dave
09-21-2021, 01:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Anyone know if there's an official way to send feedback to Pentax? I'd love to have this info where the AF mode info is currently on the top.
You could try their FaceBook page Log into Facebook | Facebook but whether they'll read it, let alone respond to it, who knows!
09-21-2021, 06:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

https://www.ricoh-imaging.ca/support/digital-support/
09-26-2021, 06:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-3III is a fantastic camera but it has some flaws.The lack of a counter on the top display is a baffling oversight; the counter belong on the top display where it has always been. The menu system is worse than before, and power consumption is twice (if not three times) as high as the K-3.
09-27-2021, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The K-3III is a fantastic camera but it has some flaws.The lack of a counter on the top display is a baffling oversight; the counter belong on the top display where it has always been. The menu system is worse than before, and power consumption is twice (if not three times) as high as the K-3.
The menu system is significantly improved, you mean.