Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2021, 01:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K3 III Geotagging

Been using the manual to try and set up geotagging. The app on my iPhone set up OK and I can connect to the camera and on the info display I have the bluetooth and GPS icons.

So my first test this morning I turned on the camera and started the app on my iPhone (not sure if this is necessary) made sure date and time was synced and went for a wander. Now loading my photos into lightroom I see they all have the same GPS data, exactly the same although I did walk quite a long way.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks
Tim

09-24-2021, 03:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Did you calibrate the camera with the O-gps1 attached before setting off? Did you set recording of GPS on?
09-24-2021, 03:29 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I wasn't using the O-GPS1, just using my iPhone as the GPS tracker through Image Sync and using Bluetooth to transfer the GPS info to the camera.

Tim
09-24-2021, 03:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera will use the last position received from the app so it looks like your phone sent the initial position and not any updates afterward.

09-24-2021, 04:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Are you sure the GPS position was updated on your iPhone?
I do not use iPhone but I'm sure that depending on the settings on the phone, the refresh rate on the GPS will change.
09-24-2021, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tjstimbo Quote
Been using the manual to try and set up geotagging. The app on my iPhone set up OK and I can connect to the camera and on the info display I have the bluetooth and GPS icons.

So my first test this morning I turned on the camera and started the app on my iPhone (not sure if this is necessary) made sure date and time was synced and went for a wander. Now loading my photos into lightroom I see they all have the same GPS data, exactly the same although I did walk quite a long way.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks
Tim
It seems that you must specify in Background Location Information Transmission for how long the info must be send to your camera. In your description of how you handled this morning I do not read that you set the time for the length of the transmission.
09-24-2021, 04:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have an Android phone rather than iPhone. Maybe things differ. I connect the phone to the camera with Bluetooth rather than WiFi, and set "Background location information transmission" to 6 hours, just to be safe.

09-24-2021, 05:54 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K-3 II dutifully logs gps data for each frame when the gps button is engaged . No smart phone is required ! I would love to have the new camera's improved AF .
09-24-2021, 11:43 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK thanks for the comments, I will have another go this weekend.
Tim
09-25-2021, 06:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Tim,

I've been using the app with the K3 III for some months now and have encountered few issues. Not exactly yours though but here are some things to check on your iPhone:
  • Make sure Battery saving mode is **not** enabled. iOS takes strong actions for saving the battery, and this may lead to non-precise location,
  • Check in Settings > Image Sync > Location that authorization is set to "always".
The app needs to be launched but it may launch automatically in the background if you use the feature regularly.

Hope this can help.
09-25-2021, 08:04 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbernery Quote
Hey Tim,

I've been using the app with the K3 III for some months now and have encountered few issues. Not exactly yours though but here are some things to check on your iPhone:
  • Make sure Battery saving mode is **not** enabled. iOS takes strong actions for saving the battery, and this may lead to non-precise location,
  • Check in Settings > Image Sync > Location that authorization is set to "always".
The app needs to be launched but it may launch automatically in the background if you use the feature regularly.

Hope this can help.
Thanks, the latter could be where I have been going wrong.
Tim
10-26-2021, 06:43 AM - 2 Likes   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
My K-3 II dutifully logs gps data for each frame when the gps button is engaged . No smart phone is required ! I would love to have the new camera's improved AF .
But that's no help to those of us with a K3iii trying to use Image Sync.
10-28-2021, 03:29 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by pbernery Quote
Hey Tim,

Hope this can help.
I had problems, it was only tagging the first so many photos and they all got the same tag!

I seem to have fixed by:
  • Updating the camera's firmware
  • Deleting & reinstalling the app on my phone
  • Re-pairing phone & camera

I suspect the crucial point was deleting & reinstalling the app.
10-31-2021, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
User tomcook did write an Image Sync Instruction and uploaded it as PDF here
K-3 III and Image Sync Instructions - PentaxForums.com